Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #1

Critique

I'm wanting to improve my singing. I've been told that it's acceptable, but I don't have much confidence in my ability. So, if I can get any suggestions, advice, or brutal criticism I'd be very appreciative.
This is Say Anything's 'A Walk Through Hell', recorded to GarageBand with a bit of compression and reverb on the vocals. I recorded a harmony part, go ahead and rip that too if you want
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 A Walk Through Hell.mp3 (1.58 MB, 25 views)

Gibson SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BAND
Your tone is pretty solid, but if anything I would try to improve your vocal strength. you should practice vocal warm ups, which are basically scales on guitar, except sung. Find a comfortable vowel sound, like "ah" or "oo", then use it to sing E-F#-G#-A-B-A-G#-F#-E, then start the whole thing again from F with the same intervals between notes, then F#, etc. until you have worked to the top of your singing range. Then go back down in a similar fasion. If you practice this and other vocal warm ups like this (and remember always to emphisize on proper techniques/form), you should start to hear improvement in your voice and vocal strength within a matter of weeks

Also your pitch is generally on, but I heard a few notes that were just slightly off. Try to concentrate on that a bit more, and another thing warm ups will help with is pitch control and stability. I hope this helps :-)
BAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

It sounds to me like you were holding back as if you were trying to not wake a sleeping person or something.
Singing is just talking to a tune. Take a big, deep breath and really belt it out from the pit of your stomach. Don't worry about being to loud or not sounding ok. It sounds better when you just let go.
roscoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
Waiting...

I second the comment about singing from your stomach (diaphragm). It takes practice. Is formal instruction an option? Voice instruction at a local community college, or just thru a private instructor can be a real boost. You have a great voice, but like you said, I can hear the lack of confidence.
Hebrews 12:14-15
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
Jfool is offline   Reply With Quote