Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
my build, suggestions and comments welcome!!!

hey all this is my first build, my funds are pretty limited, so it will be slow going, but i will post pics of new stuff as i get it. to start i got this MIM fender strat body, 62 bucks at a local store in denver, and it already had the finish i wanted on it, so i was pretty stoked. it has a few sctratches that i'm going to buff out and other than that it's in great shape.

i plan to get either noisless pups or 69's, i want to get a 4ply turtle shell pickguard but may just go standard white. i have to get a neck and i will be getting a MIA fender strat neck, or a very reliable copy i'm not sure yet.

any questions, comments, or suggestions will be appreciated. let me know what you think.

this one is of the scratches, all it really is is some belt rash, that will buff right out.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

Outlaw do you have to get everything? Switches, bridge, etc.?
I don't have any strat parts but I'll bet that someone here does. You might could find what you need.
'bout the only parts I have that'd work are tuners and strap buttons. I should have a mirror pickguard off of a Squier Strat next week after I make one to replace it. (if you want mirror you're welcome to it)
roscoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoestring View Post
Outlaw do you have to get everything? Switches, bridge, etc.?
I don't have any strat parts but I'll bet that someone here does. You might could find what you need.
'bout the only parts I have that'd work are tuners and strap buttons. I should have a mirror pickguard off of a Squier Strat next week after I make one to replace it. (if you want mirror you're welcome to it)
hmm, that sounds prett cool, send me a pic of the pickguard and i may want it.... and i need everything, all i bought was the body just wood paint and laquer nothing else, no components screws or anything, i wanted to start from the ground up and totally customize it, and this mirror pickguard sounds cool, but is it s/s/s or s/s/h because i want to stay with singles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
I AM A BASS PLAYER

alright so i just happened to get lucky and stumble upon all the parts i needed for 50 bucks, but i had to get strings and a trem-bar... but here it is in progression...

bridge

pickguard & back plate

flipside

done

Unread 07-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #5

Did I miss something? Or did you basically put this together for just over $100? How does the tone and playability compare to your average budget (-$200) used guitar? Either way, nice job.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
I AM A BASS PLAYER

lol, yeah it was just over 100 bucks, and it's playability is great, i don't call it a budget guitar i call it my guitar, lol... but it's actually quite comparably to full on strats... i do however have to get new tuners, these one are total crap

oh and also i wanted it to not just be a "cheap" guitar, but something that i build, and i mean still in the future if i want to i can change out PUPs and neck ect, i just really wanted this thing workin and now it is.

Last edited by thesteve; 07-12-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
What neck did you throw on there?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
I AM A BASS PLAYER

ummm...... yeah it's a neck from a fender starcaster....... i'm gonna sand that logo off and get a strat logo... but the neck is really good, it was mad in america, and it's got a good truss rod. but if i ever have problems, i'll just get a new one, one thats from an actual strat.

thats why i didn't picture it... i'm ashamed........but it's the same headstock and all just need to find the logo decals.

here it is

Last edited by thesteve; 07-12-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #9

You sure the neck was made here? I would think that would drive up the price of the Starcaster considerably. But who cares. If you like it, doesn't matter where it was made!
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Tired of being attacked

I'd bet money that it was MIC or MII.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
You sure the neck was made here? I would think that would drive up the price of the Starcaster considerably. But who cares. If you like it, doesn't matter where it was made!
well i got it from a private seller, all i can go off of is what he told me, so, thats what he said, and i read reviews that the MIA/MIM ones are actually good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I'd bet money that it was MIC or MII.
you make me sad, i hope not, but hey whatever i mean even if it was and is bad, it feel good to me, and if it's crap i'll just get a new one it's only to get me through now anyway.

Unread 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
well i got it from a private seller, all i can go off of is what he told me, so, thats what he said, and i read reviews that the MIA/MIM ones are actually good...

you make me sad, i hope not, but hey whatever i mean even if it was and is bad, it feel good to me, and if it's crap i'll just get a new one it's only to get me through now anyway.
A neck is a neck.

Unless you are selling pretty much 3 things matter in a neck.

fit
stability
comfort

You got those three, who cares. IIRC, I believe reading those were MIC. If so, who cares if you like it. One of my best playing guitars is worth around $100.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
AFAIK nothing about the Starcaster is MIA. Everything is MII or MIC.

That being said, to echo BSPE, a neck is a neck. If it feels great, then who cares where it came from.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
A neck is a neck.

Unless you are selling pretty much 3 things matter in a neck.

fit
stability
comfort

You got those three, who cares. IIRC, I believe reading those were MIC. If so, who cares if you like it. One of my best playing guitars is worth around $100.
true and i mean thats what i was going for is playability, and as long as it stays tuned and doesn't warp... i've always wanted a fender strat for 1. the feel, and 2. the mystique surrounding them, since most of my favorite guitar players use strats... so what i'll probably do is just sand off the current logo and get an actual strat logo the newer ones, and put it on there, then i can pretend

Unread 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
AFAIK nothing about the Starcaster is MIA. Everything is MII or MIC.

That being said, to echo BSPE, a neck is a neck. If it feels great, then who cares where it came from.
yeah, my ibanez is made in indonesia and it's neck is awesome, i had to do a truss rod adjustment when going up to a higher gauge string, and it turned out great.

so with that being said i will probably leave it for now and not worry until something goes wrong. anyway i was more after electronics than anything, because i had that body it's MIM alder i think, so it's good the body off that guitar the starcaster was absolute crap-zilla.