Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #76

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
lol,, it does, but i wanted to make it look as close to a MIA strat as possible, so when i put on the strat decal i made up a serial number, and i put made in USA on it too..
Lol...I was talking about the guitar ABPOS found in the store

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #77
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Lol...I was talking about the guitar ABPOS found in the store
HAHAHAHA you were. i missed the quote or something... but now you know about my fake strat..... SHHHHH it's a secret.... LOL

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #78

Quote:
HAHAHAHA you were. i missed the quote or something... but now you know about my fake strat..... SHHHHH it's a secret.... LOL
you should know that secrets don't keep very well on open internet forums
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #79
I AM A BASS PLAYER

if this guy is behind it, it's a secret

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #80

Quote:
Does the headstock actually say Made in USA on it? The MIA Squiers are super rare as they were only made for one year. The last one to sell on eBay went for $255 +s/h
Yeah, it's marked USA. It's cream with white pickgaurd and a rosewood fretboard. They want a little over 4 bills for this one. I think $439. I thought it was kind of high. Which they kind of are there. On some things.
ABPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Yeah, it's marked USA. It's cream with white pickgaurd and a rosewood fretboard. They want a little over 4 bills for this one. I think $439. I thought it was kind of high. Which they kind of are there. On some things.
That definitely fits the description I read of them. They're equivalent to the MIA Standards at that time in terms of construction, though I think they use the six-screw bridge.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #82
I AM A BASS PLAYER

for whatever reason i prefer the 6 screw bridge over the 2, i feel that it holds it to the guitar better or something.

Unread 10-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #83

I don't know the difference, but I think I'd rather have a tele. Do the USA squiers use the nitro finish?

If I spend 20 more, I can get a mexican tele. So.... I don't know. The strats just don't do it for me as much as a tele. I would at least have to change the pups around. I don't like that one in the middle, it gets in my way.

Now as far as the starcaster we have goes, I just took the backplate off to look at the wood. And then it dawned on me to take the jackplate off. It appears to me to be one solid piece of wood. Which is good. I'm sure it's a cheaper wood, like basswood, but at least it's solid. Hehehehe It isn't a ply like yours was josey. Weird.
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #84

Quote:
I don't know the difference, but I think I'd rather have a tele. Do the USA squiers use the nitro finish?
Probably not. Current MIA Standards don't even have a nitro finish.
Quote:
If I spend 20 more, I can get a mexican tele. So.... I don't know. The strats just don't do it for me as much as a tele. I would at least have to change the pups around. I don't like that one in the middle, it gets in my way.
If you go used, a Mexican Tele will cost around $130 less than that Squier. At $430 I could probably find a MIJ Telecaster or at least a Lite Ash series (MIK).

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #85
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:

Now as far as the starcaster we have goes, I just took the backplate off to look at the wood. And then it dawned on me to take the jackplate off. It appears to me to be one solid piece of wood. Which is good. I'm sure it's a cheaper wood, like basswood, but at least it's solid. Hehehehe It isn't a ply like yours was josey. Weird.
the one i got now is solid, it's a mexi body... the one it came with was ply.

Unread 10-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #86

Quote:
the one i got now is solid, it's a mexi body... the one it came with was ply.
I remember you saying that. That's why I think it's weird. Why would mine be solid and yours a plywood.

Quote:
Probably not. Current MIA Standards don't even have a nitro finish.If you go used, a Mexican Tele will cost around $130 less than that Squier. At $430 I could probably find a MIJ Telecaster or at least a Lite Ash series (MIK).
You know of a place to get a japanese tele for $430? I guess I haven't looked, but I'm interested in that line of thinking. I think one of those would probably be better than a mexi, eh? Possibly.

Last edited by thesteve; 10-14-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Unread 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #87
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
I remember you saying that. That's why I think it's weird. Why would mine be solid and yours a plywood.
i have no idea why that is, just like why is my neck fine, good frets, and rounded neck... i'm beginning to think that starcasters are just pieces of guitars that were going into the trash can, and fender was like, wait we can make a cheap buck off of this stuff, so lets put it together,

in my case it was this body is crap and you can see the seems in the wood, lets put a bright mother of pearl pickgaurd on and a nice neck, and noone will notice...

your case was this neck is crap, lets slap a good body on it, and call it good...

also too the one i got had a solid coat of paint, so it wouldn't matter about what the wood looked like, and yours has that transparent burst on it like mine does now, and when you can see the wood they won't put ply.

IDK dude, i think it's a money making conspiracy from fender or something.... we can always ask phonebooks, he seems to know about conspiracies

Unread 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #88

Quote:
You know of a place to get a japanese tele for $430? I guess I haven't looked, but I'm interested in that line of thinking. I think one of those would probably be better than a mexi, eh? Possibly.
With a bit of patience and luck, eBay. Or, depending on your market, Craigslist.

Right now on my local CL there's a California series Telecaster (basically MIA, painted in Mexico) for under $550. I know I've seen MIJ Strats under the $500 mark. In fact I sold one a couple years back for under $400. I would imagine you can find Telecasters in that same range.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #89
Banned

Quote:
I think you just got really lucky with that Starcaster neck. Every Starcaster I've played (whether it was a friend's or a store model) needed some serious fretwork.

If anything, given the manufacture of the instrument, I would guess that Starcaster necks are rejected Squier necks.
I wouldn't doubt this, the frets on my Squier looked like they were hammered in by a 2 year old with a sledge hammer. Which is why I had the frets leveled, plays much better now.

For saddles, I would get the Graphtech String Saver saddles, awesome saddles. They are nice because the action adjusting screws sit inside the saddle instead of poking out of it like cheaper stamped or block strat saddles.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #90

Quote:
i have no idea why that is, just like why is my neck fine, good frets, and rounded neck... i'm beginning to think that starcasters are just pieces of guitars that were going into the trash can, and fender was like, wait we can make a cheap buck off of this stuff, so lets put it together,

in my case it was this body is crap and you can see the seems in the wood, lets put a bright mother of pearl pickgaurd on and a nice neck, and noone will notice...

your case was this neck is crap, lets slap a good body on it, and call it good...

also too the one i got had a solid coat of paint, so it wouldn't matter about what the wood looked like, and yours has that transparent burst on it like mine does now, and when you can see the wood they won't put ply.

IDK dude, i think it's a money making conspiracy from fender or something.... we can always ask phonebooks, he seems to know about conspiracies
I'm sure they want to use all their stuff. I mean, it's not like they charge tons for these things. And it is for a beginner. That guitar is wAAAAAY better than the stupid kramer that was my first electric. That thing wouldn't stay in tune for the life of anything. Well, come to think of it, I don't think I knew how to get it IN tune to begin with. hehehehehe Either way, They sell them for pretty cheap. Although I'm sure they're still making money on them. But really, even that silly little amp, it works. And it's not like it sounds that horrible. Now if you had to play with a loud drummer, forget it. But for learning and playing on low for singing with it, it's fine. It's not ideal, but it works.