Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
yeah, my ibanez is made in indonesia and it's neck is awesome, i had to do a truss rod adjustment when going up to a higher gauge string, and it turned out great.

so with that being said i will probably leave it for now and not worry until something goes wrong. anyway i was more after electronics than anything, because i had that body it's MIM alder i think, so it's good the body off that guitar the starcaster was absolute crap-zilla.
ftr some of what is coming out of china these days rivals what was coming out of mexico 15 years ago.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
ftr some of what is coming out of china these days rivals what was coming out of mexico 15 years ago.
TRUE THAT, i was talking to a guy at guitar center yesterday that's been playing guitars forever, and has a lot of them, and he was telling me recent chinese guitars are really good, really nice, and actually do what they are supposed to, and the ones he had from 15 or more years ago, he said were junk.... i guess it's all a part of outsourcing, the chinese have had practice making guitars now, and have had all the negative feedback, and are fixing the problems, and thats good.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
true and i mean thats what i was going for is playability, and as long as it stays tuned and doesn't warp... i've always wanted a fender strat for 1. the feel, and 2. the mystique surrounding them, since most of my favorite guitar players use strats... so what i'll probably do is just sand off the current logo and get an actual strat logo the newer ones, and put it on there, then i can pretend
Dude, I'd sand the logo off and sign your name on it. It's more your guitar than a Fender, which is cooler anyways.

Also, I have a Rogue... To give you a bit of history... the logo says "Rogue by Squier"... a Squier says "Squier by Fender". It's made in Indonesia with a plywood body. But that neck is one of the best feeling necks I've ever played with. And I own a Carvin.

They only made the Rogue guitars for a few years, I think they still make the bass. I think that Rogue was eventually replaced by Starcaster.

Anyways, it's a 80 dollar strat copy that I play on a regular basis along with my Ibanez Artcore and my home made guitar (the one with the Carvin neck). It's as integral to my sound as either of the other two now.

The other guitarist in my band has a parts caster made from a Starcaster and a Squier and that thing sounds sick. He also plays it along side his home made guitar (warmoth neck on it) and we use them frequently.

Don't discount your guitar because it's not a name brand. If you like it, then that's all that matters.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
Dude, I'd sand the logo off and sign your name on it. It's more your guitar than a Fender, which is cooler anyways.

Also, I have a Rogue... To give you a bit of history... the logo says "Rogue by Squier"... a Squier says "Squier by Fender". It's made in Indonesia with a plywood body. But that neck is one of the best feeling necks I've ever played with. And I own a Carvin.

They only made the Rogue guitars for a few years, I think they still make the bass. I think that Rogue was eventually replaced by Starcaster.

Anyways, it's a 80 dollar strat copy that I play on a regular basis along with my Ibanez Artcore and my home made guitar (the one with the Carvin neck). It's as integral to my sound as either of the other two now.

The other guitarist in my band has a parts caster made from a Starcaster and a Squier and that thing sounds sick. He also plays it along side his home made guitar (warmoth neck on it) and we use them frequently.

Don't discount your guitar because it's not a name brand. If you like it, then that's all that matters.
right on man, yeah exactly, i like it so i'll just leave it alone... it does sound real good, and it feels great, honestly i did want a fender strat, part for the name and part for the quality, but now i'm looking at this thing going, wow it's good quality and sounds great, who cares...

and i should get a decal made with my name or something and put that on, it would be cool..

or maybe i'll wait till i get a name for it, like my ibanez is named roxanne, and i'll decal that and put it on the headstock and leave the little fender logo or something, that would be cool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #20

Funny how we'll fight to spend way more money on something we don't like as much as the cheaper version just because it costs more. It's like brand name clothing where people pay $80 for a $5 shirt just because it has a little logo on it. Advertising works scarily well.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #21
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
Funny how we'll fight to spend way more money on something we don't like as much as the cheaper version just because it costs more. It's like brand name clothing where people pay $80 for a $5 shirt just because it has a little logo on it. Advertising works scarily well.
lol, yeah totally... i don't care anymore honestly, i just wanted a strat style guitar, because i like the sound and the feel, so i was goinf full on fender, but if it works, it works,... if not i'll start over, like i'm doing with the current bridge..... lol,

i'll call it the mulletcaster or something.

Unread 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #22
I AM A BASS PLAYER

ok, so i encountered a problem. i got a trem arm for my guitar, then it snapped off in the hole, i tried everything to get it out, drilling, hammering, nothing, but stupid me i left it in the guitar when i was doing this, but no worries, theres no damage except a chip on the finish.... i got a new bridge and it's good, heres pics.

ok, heres the old bridge

if you look closely at these 2 pics you can see the damage i cause to it, first the trem arm hole has a metal in it with drill holes, second you can see that the bridge is physically bent.

now this is the damage that the bridge did to the guitar itself.

heres the new bridge

and hers the new bridge installed in the guitar...
i think it looks better than the old one anyway

on a similar but seperate note i am having the worst time ever doing a set up, as in adjust the action, adjust the intonation, longer shorter string, blah blah.... this is my first time doing this so this is probably why, and i found some random source online, but if someone has a better resource for that it would be great, or knows how to do it and can give me pointers, for whatever reason i'm thinking bill or roscoe......

Last edited by thesteve; 07-14-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #23

Bill would probally give better advice than me.
I like my action very low. I first lower the saddles to where I think they should be then tune the guitar. If it plays ok without buzzing, etc. then I start on the intonation.
For intonation I first make sure the guitar is in tune. Then I hold down the strings at the 12th fret and check to see if it's in tune. If not then I adjust the intonation screws until it is in tune. I do it one string at a time. I've heard of others that put the capo on the 12th fret and tune all at the same time. I guess it makes no difference. Just preference.
Once everything is adjusted check the tuning again. If there is buzzing the the saddles may have to be raised again or you may have to adjust the trus rod to take bow out of the neck.

That's it in a nutshell. Hope it helps.
roscoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #24
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoestring View Post
Bill would probally give better advice than me.
I like my action very low. I first lower the saddles to where I think they should be then tune the guitar. If it plays ok without buzzing, etc. then I start on the intonation.
For intonation I first make sure the guitar is in tune. Then I hold down the strings at the 12th fret and check to see if it's in tune. If not then I adjust the intonation screws until it is in tune. I do it one string at a time. I've heard of others that put the capo on the 12th fret and tune all at the same time. I guess it makes no difference. Just preference.
Once everything is adjusted check the tuning again. If there is buzzing the the saddles may have to be raised again or you may have to adjust the trus rod to take bow out of the neck.

That's it in a nutshell. Hope it helps.
yeah i like my action way low too, and the way i got from online is tune the string, then hold it at the 12th harmonic making sure thats in tune, then fret the string at 12 adjusting the intonation screw till the harmonic and fret at 12 are exactly the same, i think i got it down, it's pretty tricky to get the hang of.....

for adjusting the truss rod, whats the best way to determine if i even need to, l8ike if the neck is bowed, cause i look down it and it's straight, i fret a string at 1 and 12, and the string is the same distance from all of the frets... so idk..

Unread 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
You need to determine if it's bowed by fretting at the 21st fret, and then looking at the distance between the strings and the 12th fret. Note that you do need a little bit of bow in the neck for your action to be buzz-free. I forget the exact numbers for the bow you want in the neck, though.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
You need to determine if it's bowed by fretting at the 21st fret, and then looking at the distance between the strings and the 12th fret. Note that you do need a little bit of bow in the neck for your action to be buzz-free. I forget the exact numbers for the bow you want in the neck, though.
i know that you need a little, but i read that you can simply look down the neck from the headstock down, and you can see if theres to much, is this true?

Unread 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
i know that you need a little, but i read that you can simply look down the neck from the headstock down, and you can see if theres to much, is this true?
Well, you can sort of see it, but there's no way to actually measure it looking like that.

Again, Hold down the strings at the 21st fret. Your strings will be straight, and the neck will be slightly bowed, so there will be some clearance you can measure at the 12th fret. A good gauge is to imagine whether you can stick a low E string through that clearance you get. You should have just enough room to do that.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Well, you can sort of see it, but there's no way to actually measure it looking like that.

Again, Hold down the strings at the 21st fret. Your strings will be straight, and the neck will be slightly bowed, so there will be some clearance you can measure at the 12th fret. A good gauge is to imagine whether you can stick a low E string through that clearance you get. You should have just enough room to do that.
ok, cool, i'll check that out later today, thanks jon...

Unread 07-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
I AM A BASS PLAYER

by the way it took me some time, but i was able to get it set up all the way, i think i need to do some more adjusting on the low E string, but everything else when i tune the string and fret 12 it's in tune too, so i think i figured it out....

now i just need new tuning machines.

Unread 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #30
I AM A BASS PLAYER

YAY the guitar is staying together, and doing good thing. i got a set of strap locks, and hooked them all up and stuff, but the other day i was in my friends garage and i was hooking them up when i didn't click the lock in, and wham headstock meet concrete.... i was like but then i checked it, and all that happened was it was a little out of tune, i think it's ok..