Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
busted collarbones suck

Would anyone suggest this guitar?

Ok I have been playing guitar for about 2 years and my first and current guitar is some dodgy thing called a Cruiser by Crafter with a 15 watt amp to match . I recently started a youth band and now I'm looking to upgrade my guitar but keep my old amp as I don't have enough money to upgrade both and our youth hall is rather small anyways. The kind of music I'm playing at the moment is like Skillet/Flyleaf type music and I was wondering if either of these guitars would be good.

Cort X2, CORT X 2 Electric Guitars

or a Schecter Oman 6, Billy Hyde Music - Shop : Schecter - Electric Guitar - Omen 6

As you can probably tell price is a big issue so yeah any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

ATTACK ATTACK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
Hey, I can change this!!!

If the floating bridge is a must then these are as good as anything else in that price range.

it's quite possible tat they're made in the same factory anyway.......

if the floating trem ISN'T essential Id advise you to steer clear. budget floyd copies are not famous for thier stability.

As a lifelong trem bridge hater, please accept that my views may be jaundiced!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Be happy

Aside from the fact that I would actually recommend upgrading your amp first, what are you looking for in a guitar? Do you have the ability to actually go and test out some guitars?
Unread 05-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
busted collarbones suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach View Post
Aside from the fact that I would actually recommend upgrading your amp first, what are you looking for in a guitar? Do you have the ability to actually go and test out some guitars?
Well I want like a heavy sound like Skillet. I don't really know what else I want in it lol. I live in Central Quensland and no theres not any music shops within like 500km
Unread 05-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #5

I agree with bobthecockroach. Definitely upgrade the amp rather than the guitar. A good amp can make a crappy guitar sound decent. It doesn't work nearly as well the other way around. A crappy amp tends to just sound crappy regardless of what you run through it. I think you'll end up being a lot happier with an amp.

This is especially true if you're wanting to sound like a heavy band. It doesn't matter if you have a $5000 guitar dedicated solely to death metal, you're never going to come close to a heavy sound without a decent amp.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
busted collarbones suck

Well what do you think about a Woodstock GAMP60W then? I honestly know nothing about amps so any information would be appreciated lol.
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #7

Aside from the fact that that woodstock amp seems pretty dodgy to me, I don't think it will get you the sound your looking for. "Classic British Rock tones" is not Skillet/Flyleaf. I would check out Line 6 Spider IV amps. I know they have a wide variety of sounds and they're fairly popular so they should be fairly easy to find. They aren't the best amp out there, but with a couple hundred dollars they'll get you where you want to go. They have quite a wide variety of distortion, and while I'm not a personal fan, a lot of people really like them. They're definitely a good choice for a budget like yours.

LINK

That's the 75 watt version for $300. If you were to save up and buy that it would last you a good while. (Like until you want to start gigging and you want to start buying up in the $1000 range). You could get away with the 30 watt for $200 as well, but it won't be as rockin' loud. Someone may have a better option but as a versatile amp that will definitely get you enough distortion to play flyleaf and skillet, I would definitely suggest the Line 6 Spider IV's.

I definitely wouldn't recommend the Woodstock amp. They're claiming all this stuff like the highest quality parts available and custom made and a whole bunch of other stuff for just over $100? I really doubt it's as good as they make it out to be. Not to mention the fact that even the best amplifier in the world designed for light rock tones will never get you that skillet or flyleaf sound.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
David P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTACK ATTACK! View Post
I honestly know nothing about amps so any information would be appreciated lol.
First off, I don't think it's necessary to drop $1000 to get a gig worthy amp.. if you're diligent and are willing to buy used then you should be able to get something great within the price range you gave us for a new guitar.

From the two you posted let's just say that the top end of your budget is $500, okay?

If I were you, I would consider Jet City Amplification.

They're all tube amps designed by one of the top heavier sounding amp designers.

Jet City 2112RC Guitar Amp - DrumZa

This one is 20 watts, great for practice and small gigs or any gig where you're mic'ed and it is $399. It sounds great, and in my opinion is a level above a line 6 modeling amp.

Another thing you should do is look for ways to make the guitar you have now sound as good as you possibly can. Make sure you replace the strings pretty frequently, at least once a month, find a pick style that sounds good with your style and is comfortable, make sure you're taking care of your guitar, etc..
relient nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #9

Jet Citys are great but I'm not sure they'd help someone looking for a tight hard rock sound. Really a better choice would be a Peavey Valveking.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #10

You really don't need a tremolo for what you're doing. If I were you I'd look for a guitar with a fixed bridge. I'd also recommend you not get a guitar with a floyd rose. Everyone I know who owns one says they're a pain in the butt. But Schecter makes good guitars and so does Cort, just look for different models. I'd also recommend you look into Michael Kelly guitars. They're basically a poor man's PRS and they're very, very good guitars. I own a Valor and it would be a good choice for you're style of music.

However, I agree with what's been said about getting a new amp before a new guitar. For where you are right now a new amp would make a much bigger difference. My friend who plays guitar with me quite a bit uses a Line 6 Spider IV. It's a great amp and it's very versatile, you could use it for any style of music and it has a lot of on board effects for you to mess with. I think it would be a very good choice.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
David P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
Jet Citys are great but I'm not sure they'd help someone looking for a tight hard rock sound. Really a better choice would be a Peavey Valveking.
You don't think a jet city would pull of skillet type tones very well?
Unread 06-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
No. They would smoke the valveking at hardrock.

Have you played one? I would think you could very well play modern metal on it without an issue.

The valveking would be a far poorer choice IMO for that. The Jetcity has a lot of growl, tons of gain, and very tight. It would be the amp I would recommend, short of the 50h that will be coming out soon would be the best bet.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
David P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
It would be the amp I would recommend, short of the 50h that will be coming out soon would be the best bet.
Is this the Jet City 50 watt combo?

The only problem with that is the price will be a bit out of the OP's range.
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to bread man Send a message via MSN to bread man
It's probably worth repeating that the OP lives in rural Australia.
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by relient nelson View Post
Is this the Jet City 50 watt combo?

The only problem with that is the price will be a bit out of the OP's range.
No, the head.

And breadman, the physical size of a head could be shipped to Australia. Which could make a head doable much easier.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote