Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #16
busted collarbones suck

Well I checked out the Line 6 Spider IV amps and their a little dear but yeah I dunno. I checked out Jet City amps and I couldnt even find a shop selling them in Australia. But yeah maybe I just missed them. What would anyone think about a Peavey Envoy 110 combo? Or an Ashton GA50? Would a 40-50 watt amp be big enough to do some gigs with? I honestly have no idea like I've said before so yeah lol.

ATTACK ATTACK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTACK ATTACK! View Post
Well I checked out the Line 6 Spider IV amps and their a little dear but yeah I dunno. I checked out Jet City amps and I couldnt even find a shop selling them in Australia. But yeah maybe I just missed them. What would anyone think about a Peavey Envoy 110 combo? Or an Ashton GA50? Would a 40-50 watt amp be big enough to do some gigs with? I honestly have no idea like I've said before so yeah lol.
Here are some things to consider.
1) Wattage is almost nothing to consider. I have a 3 watt little monster that can outroar some 120 watters. Volume is a function of the wattage, yes, but the eficiency of transformer (on tube amps) and speaker also come in, as does how you measure the wattage.
2) It takes 10x the wattage to double the volume. A 50 watt amp, all things being equal is half as loud as a 500 watt amp, and twice as loud as a 5 watter.
3) I think you could get a head sized amp shipped into Australia, especially a smaller head like a blackheart little giant or Jet city 20 watter. I learned the hard way, and andrew can attest to this, that you can't really easily ship even a 1x12 combo into australia.
4) Crazy, crazy idea, but ceriatone makes some great heads. They, unlike most boutique brands, they are based in Malaysia. I bet they ship into Australia pretty well. (and yes they sell kits and such, but the pre-built heads are supposed to be really nice as well, and, they are set up to ship internationally as I believe most of their sales are US based.)

Given the price of getting even an amp that I would call a cheapy, I would look at the custom amp builders. I might see if Jim Frenzel or Nik from ceriatone would build you a killer amp and ship it to you for cheaper than a crappy amp.

Then, I would get a couple distortion pedals from the guys at MI Audio, (made in Australia, and some of the best on the market,) and I think you would be really happy for a long time. Either that, or get on ebay, on the new Jet City auctions for heads and start asking if they ship to Australia. Our economy is in the toilet, so a lot of guys who 5 years ago said US only are being more lenient and shipping worldwide.

I just know $300USD is going to be much less than the prices I have heard for really junky amps in Australia, and if you can get somebody willing to ship it, well, better to have a great amp than a poor one.

Those are some options I see.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
busted collarbones suck

Hey I'm gunna take the advice on buying an amp first but I have still been checking out guitars. Recently I played at a youth camp on a $2,000+ Epiphone. I'm not sure what the model was but it was an original Epiphone like from before they got bought out or something. Anyways I was amazed at how easy it was to play then I started thinking that the guitars I was looking at buying arnt going to be hardly any better than what I've got. So I was wondering what an Ibanez RG-370DX or an Ibanez RGA42 would be like in terms of sound and playability?
ATTACK ATTACK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTACK ATTACK! View Post
Hey I'm gunna take the advice on buying an amp first but I have still been checking out guitars. Recently I played at a youth camp on a $2,000+ Epiphone. I'm not sure what the model was but it was an original Epiphone like from before they got bought out or something. Anyways I was amazed at how easy it was to play then I started thinking that the guitars I was looking at buying arnt going to be hardly any better than what I've got. So I was wondering what an Ibanez RG-370DX or an Ibanez RGA42 would be like in terms of sound and playability?
I have an old RG 320dx. Plays nice, though I have never quite liked the sound.

Those original epiphones are legends. Those are easily in the same class as a vintage Gibson, if not above them

Options:
1) I might suggest looking at getting an old Peavey USA with a bolt on neck shipped in. My Peavey Generations is a mighty nice guitar on par with a lot of much more expensive guitars. My Peavey Mantis is an absolute embarrassment. It is a rather 80's looking axe that I picked up for $75, slapped a $50 pickup in and it sounds and plays on par with stuff that sells for thousands more. I am not going to say it looks good. (its a star shaped guitar) But it sounds and plays really good.
2) I am really preferring the older, Japanese Ibanezes to newer stuff. I am not sure what your used market looks like, but some of those go for an absolute steal here.
3) Gibson melody maker, and maybe a single coil sized humbucker. (That might be harder to get into Australia as you can't unbolt the neck to shrink the box down to an easily shippable in box)

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote