Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Leaning on GRACE

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaetano Paul
Students Ken Smith

Hey guys. One of my students brought his churches Ken SMith bass with him to his lessons this week. The tone was amazing, it was so nice. $3000 bass, he plays for the "gospel" church, and really knows how to hold a groove. The funny thing is, yes it had a $3000 tone, but as far as playability wise and overall feel, I like his Fender Jazz 5 hands down. It baffled me how such a nice bass just did not have the playability. The neck is so wide and big, action fairly high etc.

Anyone else ever encounter a Smith, or maybe some other high end basses?

Sponsored Links
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
heeeey brother

Basses (well, instruments in general) are so much about the person.
I have four basses, one of them is a custom made '62 p-bass copy that sounds and feels good no matter who you give it to. The others are kind of iffy.
By 'iffy' I mean they are weird and quirky, and I love them to death and people compliment my tone lots, but when they pick them up they just hate it.

I haven't played a Ken Smith yet, but I have played a lot of very expensive basses and sometimes it just doesn't click. For example, Fodera. I played about four of them in a shop once and could not get a single good sound. None of them even 'felt right' to me.
But I have heard them sing and until I played one I thought it was my dream bass. Just not for me.
Then I saw this interesting looking bass on the wall. I picked it up and the shop owner told me to not be surprised it I hated it, most people picked it up because it looked cool but just didn't dig it at all.
I plugged it in, messed around for a bit with the EQ on the amp, and about five min. later I was in love. I played for about twenty minutes - just couldn't put it down. I came out and the guy looked shocked and told me he had never heard it sound like that.
The guy could have just been trying to make a sale, but when I walked in I told him that I was flat broke and not looking to buy anything at all in the near future, I had just never seen these basses in person before and wanted to try, so I have a feeling he wasn't lying.

So, the moral of the story is don't write off a bass because it is too cheap/too expensive/doesn't have the name you want on it... just pick it up and play the thing and see what you think.
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Hey, I can change this!!!

I have a pal with a Kubriki factor bass.

made in the fender custom shop while Kubriki was out of action.

PLAYS really nice but I don't like the tone. too trebbley for me. I like a bass to sound like a BASS.....

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Jamming with the Lamb

Never handled a Smith, but feel is indeed a personal thing. I love the feel of my Johnson 5-string Jazz, a $300 bass. I've played a few other brands, even had a Modulus in my hands for a whole week, but wasn't very impressed with it. It didn't feel like a $1500 bass. I've played a MusicMan 5-string fretless than did feel like $3000, though.

Lotsa different instruments
caeman is offline   Reply With Quote