Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
[Clever Words Here]

Does anyone use the Boss DS-1?

Hey. So Mark Stoermer (bassist of The Killers) uses the DS-1 along with a EQ to achieve that awesome sound. Now, I know that a lot of the sound depends on mixing, bass, amp, cab, relative humidity, day of the week, etc. BUT I think I'd be able to ball park it. And I don't need to sound exactly like Mr. Stoermer either.

So that said, does anyone here use the DS-1...with bass? And if so, do you get good results?

Thanks all!

Ethan.Bassist. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I've tried it, but was never really satisfied with the sound I got. Maybe I needed to mess with it more. I haven't tried it again since modding my DS-1 though. I've been using a ProCo RAT2 for my bass distortion tones and I've been loving it.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Seems like it'd work better in some sort of parallel loop with the dry signal.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Seems like it'd work better in some sort of parallel loop with the dry signal.
Really any guitar-tuned effect would work better this way. Avoiding bottom-end loss is tough to do.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bread man Send a message via MSN to bread man
Another vote for the RAT2 here. A parallel loop is a good idea, or you could always use two amps! One clean and one dirty. The bassist from Young Widows does this with a RAT2 and he has pretty much my favourite bass tone ever. It's huge. YouTube - Young Widows "Old Skin" Video
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
[Clever Words Here]

I'd love to try that Rat 2, but I've only seen it for around $80. I don't really have dough that I want to drop on that. But that is a pretty impressive sound, bread man. You could crush cinder blocks with that sound!

How would you parallel loop a pedal? Seeing as I'm a bassist, I've never messed too much with FX.

I found the DS-1 for $20, and I think I might hop on it this weekend. $20, you can't go wrong. If my need for distortion ever grows though, I will def hit up that Rat 2. That thing's beast! I also might mod it (the DS-1) if I don't like the sound.

Thank you all for your speedy replies and for the RAT 2 suggestion. After I get some things squared away, $80 won't be that bad. The DS-1 will also be a good test for how much I actually end up using it.
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
Don't waste your money on the DS-1 unless you know how to mod it for bass. They suck SO much with bass. You might as well just use a mute switch for as much as you'll be present in the mix. I tried one for a couple of practices with my old band, and when I kicked it on, it lost so much low end that I was literally inaudible in the mix.
Unread 05-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
[Clever Words Here]

Thanks for the advice Bassman. I know of a couple of writeups on how to mod it for bass. And it won't be hard. I built my own theremin after all. From a kit, but nonetheless.
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
[Clever Words Here]

So just an update. I got it. And so far I really like it. I'll have to try it on my big amp and with others on stage, but I like it so far. It seems to have enough low end when you set the tone between 6 and 12. I think it'll come in handy! thank you all again for your advice and suggestions.
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
You might be able to get away with not modding it, but even if it seems like it's retaining bass when you're by yourself, you'll notice the loss with a band. Give it a shot at practice before you get on stage with it.
Unread 05-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
[Clever Words Here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1185 View Post
You might be able to get away with not modding it, but even if it seems like it's retaining bass when you're by yourself, you'll notice the loss with a band. Give it a shot at practice before you get on stage with it.
For sure, that'll be the real test when I'm with others. And I wouldn't even think about tapping it on w/o even practicing with it! Luckily I'm not competing with metal guitarists, just the other worship team. At MOST a drummer, acoustic, electric, and bass. ...Our church is still small
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #12

I don't know that I've ever tried mine with my bass, but it doesn't strike me as a good mix, but I love using it with my guitars--mine's unmodded, and will remain so as long as I live.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #13
[Clever Words Here]

It is a pretty good mix! It provides a nice crunch and distortion to the bass. I also play with a pick, so that helps it sound good too. I just love Mark Stoermer's (of The Killers) tone, he has just a little crunch in some of the songs to make it interesting. Love it. We'll see how the low end is when I play with others. It might end up needing modding to lower the 'tone stack'.

I've heard that it is your classic go-to pedal for guitars. And I think they don't need modding unless you are totally changing it or something. But I don't dabble in the electric guitar. haha...
Unread 06-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
[Clever Words Here]

So another update:

You were very right Bassman. It sounds great in my room, but with others, it loses all low end. I think I'm going to pick up the parts hopefully this week and mod it. I found a great writeup on talkbass.
I'll let anyone who's interested know how it goes and how it sounds!
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #15

Can you post a link to what you found on TB? I'd like to read through what they list for a bass mod.

I'm a podcaster