Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Christian > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
assistant regional mgr.

MRI Study / Speaking in Tongues

A friend posted this on Facebook, and I found it interesting enough to share and gather feedback.

Speaking in Tongues Medical Study proves Holy Spirit praying

I'll say for starters that I find the title misleading - the study indicates that the frontal coretex of the subjects' brains behave differently when they do what they consider "speaking in tongues". this compared with subjects praying in their known language. from a scientific standpoint, this is all they gathered. the person posting it reveals their own explanation for this.

I would be interested in the brain scan of an individual who is scanned while reciting "jibberish" syllables as well.

I would also be interested in a study of these people "speaking in tongues" and having linguist experts determine what earthly language(s) they are speaking. Scripture indicates that "speaking in tongues" is someone speaking in a human language that they have not specifically learned. I personally see no scriptural credibility to the theory that "speaking in tongues" is speaking in a different language not known to any human ie. the language of angels or God. there are numerous threads on this already, though, so I'll shut up about that.

I also am curious as to the Biblical justification these people would provide for even participating in such a study. most scriptures regarding speaking in tongues in a public setting indicate that if there is no translator, the individual should remain silent.

Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDominator View Post
I'll say for starters that I find the title misleading
Well, I think the individual there is either desperate to justify their belief or has more faith in the science of the mind and brain than most people who actually make it their life's work.

Quote:
I would be interested in the brain scan of an individual who is scanned while reciting "jibberish" syllables as well.
Yes. Although I think a critical factor is that the subject doesn't believe they're speaking mere jibberish. Whether what's going on is what they say it is...their belief in it is genuine.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
assistant regional mgr.

perhaps it is fervent belief that makes all the difference. certainly nothing I say to the friend that posted this is going to dissuade them from their belief. not even the theological angle of "without an interpreter, shouldn't they just shut up?". ah well.
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Epic Clayail

And you can't, sadly, cite people of other religious traditions (or magickal traditions) who use "spirit language," as they would say it's the Devil seizing those people.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote