Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #1

so i sold all my electric guitar gear and just wanted to go acoustic. I bought this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182

just a little ago. Looks like a great guitar. I do however, play at church and plan on playing at coffeshops and what not. I WILLNOT be using an acoustic amp. I plan on running straight to soundboard or mixer or whatever its called.

What kinda pickup would i need for this? I want acoustic sounds, not electric, and could i install it myself or do i need a pro?

So questions.

1. What pickup do i need?
2. Is it possible to do myself?3
3. If not, how much on average would a pro charge?

Thanks

i Was looking at the fishman archtop one which is a bridge with pickup built in, or i was looking at this Barcus Berry 3125 Cello Piezo Transducer Pickup | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

Any thoughts?

And with these, how do i get that thing you see on most guitars with like eq and tuner and what not? I think its called preamp? Do i need one, and do i install it in to the body, or what?

Basically, what do i need to do to get that archtop plugged in for acoustic tones?

or maybe this

Pure Western - K&K Sound

but my main question is not as much the pickup, as it is a preamp. i dont understand these, or how to use them or anything like that.

Edit: So im thinking that kk pickup i should get, then install it. Then heres how im thinking this works. I plug an instrument cable into the jack on the guitar, i plug the other end of that instrument cable to something like this http://www.kksound.com/purexlrpreamp.html then i run the xlr out straight to mixer board.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited by thesteve; 04-19-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
assistant regional mgr.

the auction you listed has been removed, so it's a bit hard to comment on this without knowing what we're working with.

in general - you will need some form of pickup, and you will need some sort of preamp to power the signal to the board. you could get a setup that does both on the guitar, or you could get a pickup and power it with an external preamp - either an acoustic amp (which u said u don't want) or perhaps a preamp pedal. for all that cost, you might as well take it to a reputable shop and have them set it up with an internal setup like a Fishman or Baggs and be done with it.

*edit* I went down a similar path some years ago with my main gigging guitar, got a soundhole pickup and powered it with an external preamp. I regretted it from the start and wound up ditching it all and buying a new acoustic with onboard preamp and the works. I hear the Baggs Paracoustic DI is a pretty good external PRE if you go down that path.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 04-19-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: pondering
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #3

Didn't know the auction was removed. Its a 1957 kay archtop that i got for only 230.

Anyway did you see my post about the k&k? That and a pedal preamp is looking like my best option. Would it work the setup i just posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDominator View Post
the auction you listed has been removed, so it's a bit hard to comment on this without knowing what we're working with.

in general - you will need some form of pickup, and you will need some sort of preamp to power the signal to the board. you could get a setup that does both on the guitar, or you could get a pickup and power it with an external preamp - either an acoustic amp (which u said u don't want) or perhaps a preamp pedal. for all that cost, you might as well take it to a reputable shop and have them set it up with an internal setup like a Fishman or Baggs and be done with it.

*edit* I went down a similar path some years ago with my main gigging guitar, got a soundhole pickup and powered it with an external preamp. I regretted it from the start and wound up ditching it all and buying a new acoustic with onboard preamp and the works. I hear the Baggs Paracoustic DI is a pretty good external PRE if you go down that path.
Why did you hate it?

Last edited by thesteve; 04-19-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
Didn't know the auction was removed. Its a 1957 kay archtop that i got for only 230.

Anyway did you see my post about the k&k? That and a pedal preamp is looking like my best option. Would it work the setup i just posted?
Okay...

Expect the Kay to need some setup work. I am not being mean about your choice, just saying, a lot of them tend to have really high action and need a good fret leveling, and sometimes fretboard leveling and a refret.

Without seeing the guitar, setup, I would be hesitant to reccomend too much, Something like this style Fishman Archtop Guitar Pickup Dual Piezo Ebony Bridge - eBay (item 230455796449 end time Apr-28-10 13:38:02 PDT) would likely be the way I would go and then add in a preamp pedal

The reason I would go this route is you can leave the '57 pretty much stock without destroying the finish with adhesives to hold the K & K in place. (For the record, I use K & K pickups in my dulcimer and harp and will in my octave mandolin as well) But permanently internally attached.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Okay...

Expect the Kay to need some setup work. I am not being mean about your choice, just saying, a lot of them tend to have really high action and need a good fret leveling, and sometimes fretboard leveling and a refret.

Without seeing the guitar, setup, I would be hesitant to reccomend too much, Something like this style Fishman Archtop Guitar Pickup Dual Piezo Ebony Bridge - eBay (item 230455796449 end time Apr-28-10 13:38:02 PDT) would likely be the way I would go and then add in a preamp pedal

The reason I would go this route is you can leave the '57 pretty much stock without destroying the finish with adhesives to hold the K & K in place. (For the record, I use K & K pickups in my dulcimer and harp and will in my octave mandolin as well) But permanently internally attached.
I do expect hte kay to need some work. No surprise there. But from all the pictures it doesn't look to be that bad at all.

Thats one of the pickups i was looking at. Either that or the k&k. Then a pre pedal. How are the k&k preamps? And do certain pickups only work with certain preamps or what?

And what are your thoughts on preamp pedal? Do they work well, or is it easier to have a bro install one in the guitar (which i would rather not do, so that the guitar can not ahve to be drilled into and what not.)

The fishman and the K7K seem good because they dont damage the guitar (except the finish on inside with the k&k). Now which one would be better?
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I do expect hte kay to need some work. No surprise there. But from all the pictures it doesn't look to be that bad at all.

Thats one of the pickups i was looking at. Either that or the k&k. Then a pre pedal. How are the k&k preamps? And do certain pickups only work with certain preamps or what?

And what are your thoughts on preamp pedal? Do they work well, or is it easier to have a bro install one in the guitar (which i would rather not do, so that the guitar can not ahve to be drilled into and what not.)

The fishman and the K7K seem good because they dont damage the guitar (except the finish on inside with the k&k). Now which one would be better?
Well the K and k would either look funny or the guitar would have to be altered.

I would totally go with preamp pedal. You can go raw into the system. I had to do that with my dulcimer not too long ago. I know some guys who use a dano fish and chips as a preamp pedal with some success. Personally, I am looking at the bbe.

While there may be something different with certain systems most things operate off the same principles so I would say they are probably pretty compatible.

My Life.
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I don't think the auction has been removed. You posted a bad link. Would it be possible for you to find the auction and post a link that works? I think that would be very helpful.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Well the K and k would either look funny or the guitar would have to be altered.

I would totally go with preamp pedal. You can go raw into the system. I had to do that with my dulcimer not too long ago. I know some guys who use a dano fish and chips as a preamp pedal with some success. Personally, I am looking at the bbe.

While there may be something different with certain systems most things operate off the same principles so I would say they are probably pretty compatible.
How would the K7K look weird? Isn't it under the fholes? and hiddin?
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #9

Is this the guitar?

Vintage Kay Acoustic Guitar 1957 - eBay (item 330423131280 end time Apr-18-10 19:02:59 PDT)

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Tired of being attacked

I'm not seeing that model. If it installs under the top, I assume the wires exit out the fhole or a new hole.

My Life.
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm not seeing that model. If it installs under the top, I assume the wires exit out the fhole or a new hole.
I think he's looking at this one Pure Western - K&K Sound

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #12

whats upp with my linking skills? Yes thats the guitar, and yes thats the pickup i was talking about
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #13

Quote:
whats upp with my linking skills? Yes thats the guitar, and yes thats the pickup i was talking about
You don't have any

I think that the Fishman piezo bridge is probably going to be the simplest and cleanest solution to your pickup needs. I'm not sure what the output is like on a piezo pickup like that so you may still want some sort of preamp control before you send the signal to the soundboard.

The guitar looks great. I would be surprised if the action is comparable to anything you'd pull off the shelf at your local GC though. I've played a few archtop acoustics from that era (I own a late 50s Harmony Archtone) and they do typically have a higher action that modern guitars.

Also, if you haven't played an old archtop before, don't be surprised if it doesn't sound like any other acoustic you've ever played. Because they lack a large center soundhole and tend to have smaller overall bodies, these archtops tend to be quieter than your typical dreadnought acoustic and generally just have a tone that's hard to describe. It's definitely an acoustic sound, but I know mine doesn't sound anything like my Taylor Big Baby or my Mitchell dreadnought.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #14

Haha how can i develop some? I guess i have no idea how to link

Anyway on to guitar stuff, the only with that pickup from fishman is, if im thinkin right ill have a 2' wire hanging out, then run it down to the floor to the pedal. It just seems ugly. Maybe im thinking bout it worng
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Haha how can i develop some? I guess i have no idea how to link

Anyway on to guitar stuff, the only with that pickup from fishman is, if im thinkin right ill have a 2' wire hanging out, then run it down to the floor to the pedal. It just seems ugly. Maybe im thinking bout it worng
The wire has a clip on it that is designed to attach to the tailpiece. It's a simpler solution than the K&K body transducer which is going to require you to fiddle with positioning (I can't imagine trying to reach inside the body of an archtop) and drill a larger end pin hole (because the jack is bigger than the stock end pin).

I'm a podcaster