Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I was just throwing the question out. I don't know much about piezo electronics.

So are you going to keep calling your guitar "Bev"?
Bev, ben, or beve (spelled bev) haha

the writing looks like an n, or a v at the end, and i just considered beve because it sounds funny to me haha

so if i got the bridge, is it adjustable intonation? How do i adjust intonation? Is it the bridge where i do it? Because its off. maybe the pieze bridge will be better.

i think im leaning to NOT getting mics but getting bridge pickup

this says the fishman would have to e cut and stuff to match radius http://www.bestcovery.com/fishman-ar...t=2&best=56401

so what about this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002MH6OR2

Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #77
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
but for the bridge will i have to take off my old bridge through complicated methods and somehow glue the new one on and stuff? and off topic but, how do you adjust intonation on acoustic guitars? can you?
most archtops the string tension is all that holds the bridge on. I am under that presupposition.

If that is the case, you adjust intonation by moving the bridge a little bit. If this is the case, I would put a little, light pencil mark where your intonation is correct.

If this is the case:
Mark bridge location lightly in pencil
Remove all 6 strings
lift off bridge
set new bridge in same, marked location.
put strings back on
done.

If you need to cut the fishman... you already have a template. The old bridge.

The schatten might be a better choice for you though.

I am going to say that to me, piezo interacts directly with string vibrations and body vibration, so, while piezo tends to add an element of brightness that might need to be eq'd out, it should have the guitar's fundamental tone.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #78
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
The way you adjust intonation on those sorts of bridges is you move the entire bridge.

When I played with an archtop, I just checked my intonation when I could before I played, shifted it a bit with my fingers if it was off.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #79
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
The way you adjust intonation on those sorts of bridges is you move the entire bridge. With your fingers or whatnot.
you can do some fine adjustment with sandpaper on the saddles, but thats fairly precision work that for most of us is pointless.

My Life.
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #80

I moved the bridge and saw where the previous owner marked with pencil. On its shipping, since she detuned the strings a lot, the bridge moved a little. i put it where they had it before and its much better. i think ima go with the schatton

I was just about to order when i realized, that i could find a picture of the schatten except the bridge itself. The instruction manual doesn't even have pictures. Do i have to actually install the jack into my guitar? Or what? Is it like the fishman, where no damage is needed to guitar? Because if not, i would want the fishman instead. but how hard is it to cut the fishman? like oculd i completely install the fishman from scratch by myself with very little guitar experiance?

Last edited by thesteve; 04-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #81
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
his says the fishman would have to e cut and stuff to match radius http://www.bestcovery.com/fishman-ar...t=2&best=56401

so what about this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002MH6OR2
Schatten makes good stuff. They're based in Canada. I have one of their pickups (The Dualie, works for guitar or ukulele).
Here is the companies page for the product.
If you have any questions after seeing that, call or email them. Les Schatten is really great to deal with, in my experience.

Also, it doesn't matter which one you go with as far as having to shape it goes. What they are getting at is the bridge feet (the sides that sit on the top) need to match the curve of the guitar top of the guitar. Good contact between bridge/saddle and guitar top is crucial, especially when a pickup is involved. The best way to achieve that I know of is to use some masking tape (very important as this sort of tape doesn't damage guitar finishes) to tape down a piece of sandpaper over the bridge area with rough side up. Then you can move the bottom of the bridge up and down over that to get the shape to match. HOWEVER, you could sand too much off the bottom. Also, if you're dealing with a wood like ebony or rosewood and happen to have an allergy to it, the dust can cause you some health issues...even death in extreme situations. I'm not sure how much dust and how bad of an allergy to get to that extreme...but it's something to be careful with.
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7 View Post
Schatten makes good stuff. They're based in Canada. I have one of their pickups (The Dualie, works for guitar or ukulele).
Here is the companies page for the product.
If you have any questions after seeing that, call or email them. Les Schatten is really great to deal with, in my experience.

Also, it doesn't matter which one you go with as far as having to shape it goes. What they are getting at is the bridge feet (the sides that sit on the top) need to match the curve of the guitar top of the guitar. Good contact between bridge/saddle and guitar top is crucial, especially when a pickup is involved. The best way to achieve that I know of is to use some masking tape (very important as this sort of tape doesn't damage guitar finishes) to tape down a piece of sandpaper over the bridge area with rough side up. Then you can move the bottom of the bridge up and down over that to get the shape to match. HOWEVER, you could sand too much off the bottom. Also, if you're dealing with a wood like ebony or rosewood and happen to have an allergy to it, the dust can cause you some health issues...even death in extreme situations. I'm not sure how much dust and how bad of an allergy to get to that extreme...but it's something to be careful with.
haha that would happen to me since i have bad allergies. Well then i think im gonna go with the fishman, since you just explained how to cut it. It makes since and seems simple enough

Thanks guys
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #83
gg7

Quote:
haha that would happen to me since i have bad allergies. Well then i think im gonna go with the fishman, since you just explained how to cut it. It makes since and seems simple enough

Thanks guys
Uh. The Fishman isn't made of wood? I thought it was. In which case, same thing.
It sounds simple in theory, but it's tedious work.
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #84

Quote:
Uh. The Fishman isn't made of wood? I thought it was. In which case, same thing.
It sounds simple in theory, but it's tedious work.
Im guessing i just need to take it nice and slow and get yalls help when i wanna do it?

But i just placed my order.
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #85
gg7

Quote:
Im guessing i just need to take it nice and slow and get yalls help when i wanna do it?

But i just placed my order.
Yeah, nice and slow for sure considering you don't want to ruin something you just dropped a lot of $$ on. Maybe you'll get lucky and the bridge will match the top closely to begin with.
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #86

Quote:
Yeah, nice and slow for sure considering you don't want to ruin something you just dropped a lot of $$ on. Maybe you'll get lucky and the bridge will match the top closely to begin with.
That would be nice. I just ordered it with two day shipping because i need it by tuesday, so hopefully itll come in monday and i can do it.
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #87
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
the fishman looks like top and bottom need radiusing, more than just fine adjusting of the feet to me.

My Life.
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #88
gg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
the fishman looks like top and bottom need radiusing, more than just fine adjusting of the feet to me.
Yeah, you're right. Both the top of it and the bottom/feet should be set to the correct radius ideally....all without damaging the piezos.
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #89

Maybe chups will ask, but I'm curious, If I were to have bought this guitar and this pick up and took it to a professional for installation and set up what would I be looking at paying someone to do the work for me?
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #90
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
Maybe chups will ask, but I'm curious, If I were to have bought this guitar and this pick up and took it to a professional for installation and set up what would I be looking at paying someone to do the work for me?
I'm not sure. But I would guess a lot.

My Life.