Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #31
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
ok. And im not expecting it to be just a killer guitar. I mean it only cost me $230 haha
It might end up that way.

If you take the time to get it set up well, if you like the sound, it could be a killer guitar.

I love old wood. It has a beautiful tonality to me. However, some of those old kays just ain't that great. I'd say the laminate versus solid wood is very similar to the solid state versus tube thing.

There are some great sounding laminate guitars and some great sounding solid state amps, but the vast majority of solid state and laminate is low cost, entry level crap using cheap components. When you go back before laminates were standard, you do run across a few more happy accident guitars IMO, because Solid wood is a little easier to hapenstance into a great instrument in my opinion. In some locations though, I would only use a laminate guitar because of stability, (okay, actually, I'd probably cheat and try to go carbon fiber)

Honestly, if you are not sold on being an archtop guy, I might just try the guitar out before you go making a shopping list in reality.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
It might end up that way.

If you take the time to get it set up well, if you like the sound, it could be a killer guitar.

I love old wood. It has a beautiful tonality to me. However, some of those old kays just ain't that great. I'd say the laminate versus solid wood is very similar to the solid state versus tube thing.

There are some great sounding laminate guitars and some great sounding solid state amps, but the vast majority of solid state and laminate is low cost, entry level crap using cheap components. When you go back before laminates were standard, you do run across a few more happy accident guitars IMO, because Solid wood is a little easier to hapenstance into a great instrument in my opinion. In some locations though, I would only use a laminate guitar because of stability, (okay, actually, I'd probably cheat and try to go carbon fiber)

Honestly, if you are not sold on being an archtop guy, I might just try the guitar out before you go making a shopping list in reality.
And its got a 30 day return, so i think ill get it, see if i like it, then if i do get the other parts
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
My gut opinion on all of this is that you should probably talk to the guy, tell him you made a mistake and offer to reimburse him his eBay fees.

You just bought a 1957 Kay Archtop for $231 + shipping ($30-$40?). Minimally to make the guitar a function acoustic-electric you are looking at another $112 for a pickup (the K&K Pure Floating Bridge) or more (for the Fishman, which is probably better) and anywhere from $30-$140 for a preamp.

Thus, if you go this route, you spend anywhere from about $410 to $570 on an acoustic. I really feel like by the time you hit that mark you'll have passed up a lot of solid choices from modern acoustic guitar manufacturers.

I'm not saying you won't get this Kay and love it, it just seems like from what you have said you wanted from an acoustic guitar, this is almost as far from it as you could get.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
My gut opinion on all of this is that you should probably talk to the guy, tell him you made a mistake and offer to reimburse him his eBay fees.

You just bought a 1957 Kay Archtop for $231 + shipping ($30-$40?). Minimally to make the guitar a function acoustic-electric you are looking at another $112 for a pickup (the K&K Pure Floating Bridge) or more (for the Fishman, which is probably better) and anywhere from $30-$140 for a preamp.

Thus, if you go this route, you spend anywhere from about $410 to $570 on an acoustic. I really feel like by the time you hit that mark you'll have passed up a lot of solid choices from modern acoustic guitar manufacturers.

I'm not saying you won't get this Kay and love it, it just seems like from what you have said you wanted from an acoustic guitar, this is almost as far from it as you could get.
Its just from every sound clip i've heard videos i've seen etc it gives this certain odd sound which i really like. I know they vary on guitar by guiar basis, but it also seems cool to have a different sounding older guitar. something that has its own kinda sound. Plus its a cheap price, and i do have a 30 day return.

So if anything i can get it and return if i need to
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #35
recovering user

I agree with Steve. You're closing in fast on the price range of some nice guitars..... which won't require any potentially damaging mods...

Buy Taylor 110e Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar | 6 String Acoustic-Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Buy Martin DXME Acoustic-Electric Guitar | 6 String Acoustic-Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Buy Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric Guitar | 6 String Acoustic-Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Well, whatever the seller ships it in, keep it just in case...and I hope you have $30-$40 saved for return shipping just in case too.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #37
recovering user

If you return it..... get the kind of shipping that has insurance.

It would suck to break it when you're trying to get rid of it.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #38

Yeah i do have money to ship it back if needed. And i would make sure to insure it. that would suck, a lot for it to break while returning it
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #39
recovering user

lol
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #40
Tired of being attacked

Personally, I would see if I liked it. I mean, first of all as an ebay seller, I would never permit returns because you didn't like it. Only if something was wrong. I don't know. The whole thing does seem a bit expensive to me, but if it is what someone wants, it is what they want.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #41
recovering user

Yeah.

And if you don't like it, you can always sell all of your acoustic stuff and go electric.
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Yeah.

And if you don't like it, you can always sell all of your acoustic stuff and go electric.
Haha
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #43
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

The only thing I see wrong with that ad is the part that it mentions the neck being reglued but not reset. It could very well be in need of a neck reset, which means the neck angle is wrong. Over time they get pulled too far forward. It sounds like this one even pulled so much it separated perhaps. A neck reset is not a simple repair job. Actually, it could be more expensive than the guitar. I really have no idea how much the typical cost is, I just know it's a very tedious, difficult job left for only a true pro.
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #44
Banned

I know you just tried to get away from "electric guitars" but I suggest you use that Fishman bridge and a magnetic at the end of the fingerboard. There are pickups made by Lace and Kenty Armstrong, plus a Bennedetto model (which is a bit pricey in comparison) that are thin-bodied and made for mounting onto an archtop. The compbination of the two will give you a very balanced tone. You can use an endpin type of preamp or an outboard preamp. An active direct box is also something you might want to look at using if you want to go straight from the guitar to a sound system, for example, and not go back to using a guitar specific amplifier. The main thing is that you'll need something to buffer the signal from the piezo and the direct box should work well for that. Roland/Boss make a couple of nice pedals for acoustic that are combination pedals with effects and direct box function. They also have some tone ehancing circuitry for acoustic tones.

Check out Dave Wendler's guitars and this might give you some ideas:

http://www.electrocoustic.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7 View Post
The only thing I see wrong with that ad is the part that it mentions the neck being reglued but not reset. It could very well be in need of a neck reset, which means the neck angle is wrong. Over time they get pulled too far forward. It sounds like this one even pulled so much it separated perhaps. A neck reset is not a simple repair job. Actually, it could be more expensive than the guitar. I really have no idea how much the typical cost is, I just know it's a very tedious, difficult job left for only a true pro.
You are right about neck re-sets. That can be pretty extensive work. I do most all repairs on my own guitars but neck re-sets is not on my list of things I'll do. I've also seen the option to resets and that is an extreme filing down of the frets past the 12th fret. Not too long ago I had an acoustic guitar case for sale and a guy brought his really beautiful USA Gibson acoustic with him to make sure that it would fit in the case before he bought it. He said that he had recently bought the Gibson. I should have kept my mouth shut but I ruined his day when I asked him if he had noticed the high frets above the twelfth fret. They had been filed down to almost nothing. Whoever sold that guitar to him knew what he was passing on to the next guy.

Last edited by thesteve; 04-20-2010 at 09:55 AM.
notreligus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #45

Hey i have a question on preamp stuff. I was just looking at ones with an xlr out, so that i can just run a mic cable from that to board (at my church, the mixer doesn't take 1/4" i think) but now im looking at cheaper ones with just a 1/4" out. Would it work like this? Guitar pickup>preamp without xlr>di box with xlr out>mixer?

Would this work?

Thanks