Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorshipJesus View Post
I miss the days of David Tennant with Rose and Deb..
Deb?

Did I miss something?

Unread 11-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #77
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman
Deb? Did I miss something?
Donna, maybe? Or Martha?

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #78
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Quote:
First off, the Doctor just needs to steer clear of cemeteries. Nothing good has happened in them..

Clara is supposedly leaving in the Christmas special, which has already been filmed. I can't wait to see what they have in store!

But about that episode.. I feel like it was really only one of the few in this season that actually resembled a Doctor Who episode. These short seasons are making the writers share time with character development and fun adventures. I miss the days of David Tennant with Rose and Deb.. Those were excellent episodes: adventure, secrets, mysteries... Although Matt Smith's years were the best of the new series, imo!
This season was 12 episodes long. The other seasons have been 13. I'm not sure I'd call this a short season.

Having just finished mainlining the entire rebooted series in the last three months, the pros and cons of different eras are pretty fresh in my mind. Overall, I'd say that the Russell T. Davies era (Eccleston and Tennant) was better for character arcs, while the Steven Moffat era (Smith and Capaldi) has been better for story arcs. Davies went for smaller, self-contained adventures, while Moffat has gone for bigger stories, sometimes with success, sometimes without. I do like that Moffat uses time travel as an actual story device more frequently - in the first few seasons, the TARDIS was basically just a fancy car that dropped them off at the beginning of an episode and picked them up at the end, but now time travel is more of an integral part of plots fairly frequently. The stories have been bigger, but sometimes at the cost of the characters. This season has actually been a nice return to character stories, in my opinion.

(Then again, my perception on the Moffat era is probably tainted by the fact that Amy wasn't my favorite companion, and the Eleventh Doctor never quite clicked for me.)
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #79
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Also, Christmas special preview/this year's Children in Need short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsxEenCBRG0
Unread 11-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post
(Then again, my perception on the Moffat era is probably tainted by the fact that Amy wasn't my favorite companion, and the Eleventh Doctor never quite clicked for me.)
I'd say AMy & Rory were my favorites so far--although I like most of the companions from the revived series.

Matt Smith clicked for me--he would be in my top 5.
But I think I like Capaldi better than Smith-with no insult intended towards Matt Smith.
Unread 11-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #81
You were brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
Deb?

Did I miss something?
Wooooow.. I can't believe I said Deb... I was typing in a hurry. I am ashamed of myself..

Beards are classy. Have class. Grow a beard.
WorshipJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #82
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Wooooow.. I can't believe I said Deb... I was typing in a hurry. I am ashamed of myself..
I like how you're still confusing us and leaving us in the dark to which companion you actually meant. :P

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #83
You were brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I like how you're still confusing us and leaving us in the dark to which companion you actually meant. :P
Donna

The dynamics between her and Tennant were like a bickering brother and sister. Loved it..

I'm starting through the series again. Catching onto things and understanding concepts a lot better. I didn't like Eccleston all that much at first, but now I think he's an excellent Doctor.

Unread 11-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #84

Quote:
Donna

The dynamics between her and Tennant were like a bickering brother and sister. Loved it..

I'm starting through the series again. Catching onto things and understanding concepts a lot better. I didn't like Eccleston all that much at first, but now I think he's an excellent Doctor.
Thought you probably meant Donna.

I've been re-watching them again--just started series 5 today (Eleventh Hour)
Most I've only seen once.
I've found some I really enjoyed the first time aren't as good the second time & some are better as I pick up on more stuff.
And some I wasn't as fond of I enjoyed more the second time--and some still not so much.
Unread 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #85
You were brilliant!

Alright, fellow Whovians,

What did you think of the Series 9 premiere?

I say, "Brilliant!"

Unread 09-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #86
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
I get to see it on Friday, and I can't wait!

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #87
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
I'm having a hard time forming an opinion on last week's episode, since it's the first half of a two-parter. It's really going to depend on how they resolve things this week.
Unread 10-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #88
You were brilliant!

Well this season is summing up to be a good season!

SPOILERS!

(highlight to see)
Does anybody know how the Doctor used the Bootstrap Paradox in this episode??? I'm still so confused!

Unread 10-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #89
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Well this season is summing up to be a good season!

SPOILERS!

(highlight to see)
Does anybody know how the Doctor used the Bootstrap Paradox in this episode??? I'm still so confused!

I think we're just supposed to accept it. The Doctor knew to program the ghost-hologram to give them that information because he received that information from the ghost-hologram. It's an infinite causal loop without any beginning or end. The Beethoven example in the second half really helped illustrate this... plus it gave us that awesome transition of the Doctor playing Beethoven's 5th straight into the opening theme music.

I'm really enjoying this season so far. I think the second two-parter was better than the first. I do wish they'd stop going back to the plot point of "the Doctor is going to die! For real this time!", though... there's other ways to build up tension without raising a plot point that obviously isn't going to happen.
Unread 10-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #90
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post

I think we're just supposed to accept it. The Doctor knew to program the ghost-hologram to give them that information because he received that information from the ghost-hologram. It's an infinite causal loop without any beginning or end. The Beethoven example in the second half really helped illustrate this... plus it gave us that awesome transition of the Doctor playing Beethoven's 5th straight into the opening theme music.

I'm really enjoying this season so far. I think the second two-parter was better than the first. I do wish they'd stop going back to the plot point of "the Doctor is going to die! For real this time!", though... there's other ways to build up tension without raising a plot point that obviously isn't going to happen.
Thanks for the spoilers.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote