Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #1

Quick question about an amp i recently acquired.

Recently I got an alesis sumo 100 (150 watts) from my grandma who has no use for it. The amp is a keyboard amp with 2 channels (plug, not channel switching). I got it home and hooked the synth up to it, great sound. I dont play synth though, other than messing around, so i decided maybe i should test it out as a bass amp.

First of all, this wont cause any long term damage will it? I assume since keyboards play in a much wider range of frequencies as compared to a bass, the bass can handle it just fine.

My second, for some reason, the amp just doesn't seem as loud as a 150 watt amp should be. Any explanation for this?

I guess i'll also go ahead and ask if anyone has used a similar amp to this for bass in the past, or just used the amp for anything and whether or not one such person would have any suggestions

Unread 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
An Alesis Sumo 100 should work fine as a bass amp for the reasons you described.

When you say it doesn't seem loud for 150W, what are you comparing it to?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
An Alesis Sumo 100 should work fine as a bass amp for the reasons you described.

When you say it doesn't seem loud for 150W, what are you comparing it to?
my spider 4 75 seems about 5 times as loud with the volumes on both amps at about 9 o clock... Thats on guitar though.

I also have an acoustic b20 that was my first amp until i got this one and it seems to be about as loud as this amp when i have the acoustic set on 9 o clock and the alesis set on noon.

I'm really confused by this. How would 150 watts be so small in comparison to 20?
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #4

Well, in the first instance, guitar frequencies are more easily amplified than bass frequencies. That's why your Spider IV seems so much louder.

As far as the difference between the B20 and the Sumo, it may just have something to do with the circuit design of each. I've used amps that were beastly loud at 9 o'clock but didn't get much louder than that. I've used other amps where the max volume was around 2 o'clock and that was beastly.

What's the speaker config on the Sumo?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Well, in the first instance, guitar frequencies are more easily amplified than bass frequencies. That's why your Spider IV seems so much louder.

As far as the difference between the B20 and the Sumo, it may just have something to do with the circuit design of each. I've used amps that were beastly loud at 9 o'clock but didn't get much louder than that. I've used other amps where the max volume was around 2 o'clock and that was beastly.

What's the speaker config on the Sumo?
It's simply a 12 inch sub and horn. I cant find the speaker make/model anywhere.

I realize this is not so ideal, but i would still think it should be a tad louder than a 20 watt amp atleast. There's also a fairly annoying amount of buzz going on when i get around 2:00 and then all the way to the finish line.
Unread 04-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZTB View Post
It's simply a 12 inch sub and horn. I cant find the speaker make/model anywhere.

I realize this is not so ideal, but i would still think it should be a tad louder than a 20 watt amp atleast. There's also a fairly annoying amount of buzz going on when i get around 2:00 and then all the way to the finish line.
Hmm...one other thing I could thing that could be related is that the Sumo circuit might be designed to take a different input power level. I don't know a lot about keyboards, but the difference might be like the difference between a passive and active bass guitar circuit. If you are using a passive bass on an input that is padded for an active instrument, then it will seem quieter because the signal is being cut at the input.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
Hey, I can change this!!!

depends a LOT on the amp.

I had a 100w (solid state) peavey keyboard combo

the electrics side of it died so I pulled 'em out and I now use it as a speaker cab for a Trace Elliot amp that was pulled from a broken combo.

the difference in volume is INCREDIBLE!!!

where with the Peavey innards I played it at about 1/2 volume in church, with the trace amp, I cant go over about 10%!!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Hmm...one other thing I could thing that could be related is that the Sumo circuit might be designed to take a different input power level. I don't know a lot about keyboards, but the difference might be like the difference between a passive and active bass guitar circuit. If you are using a passive bass on an input that is padded for an active instrument, then it will seem quieter because the signal is being cut at the input.
Interesting thought. My bass has active EMG's in it (which are great sounding in a bass) but it does seem quieter than my synth at the same volume setting. Perhaps the keyboard signal is much greater than the one coming from my bass?

Martin- Thats pretty interesting as well. This amp is by no means an expensive amp, so perhaps it is just the wiring. My guitar teacher builds cabs and heads so maybe i'll ask him about it and see if he has any suggestions on a modification. (it seems a waste to let that speaker go to waste... :P )
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZTB View Post
Interesting thought. My bass has active EMG's in it (which are great sounding in a bass) but it does seem quieter than my synth at the same volume setting. Perhaps the keyboard signal is much greater than the one coming from my bass?
I'm not totally sure, but my gut reaction is that this is the case.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #10

Funny thing. I actually tested out the amp in a stage setting earlier this evening.

The amp sounds SO much louder in that atmosphere that i actually had to turn myself down a tad. Although i was still running pretty close to full blast. Cool thing about it is the amp doesnt distort when its cranked. Maybe thats how it's meant to be played, since its a keyboard amp and keyboards have more volume control than a bass or guitar. Anyway, I'm a little more pleased now that i found out it has more kick than i originally thought.

I still might do something with the hum though, if possible.
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
Hey, I can change this!!!

keyboard amps aren't meant to distort at all, ever!!

a decent keyboard amp should be able to be used as a pa for a small venue.

I've used a pair of the peavey KB100s for a 400 seater church.......

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Christian Bass Hack

Send a message via AIM to rfclef
A KB amp works great for a bnass amp... I have a Peavey KB 300 at school I use when I play with my jazz kids or pep band and it has an awesome sound... Wish could find one on CL for a decent price, I'd snatch it...
Listen to some of our songs at www.facebook.com/cryofstones

"Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"..."
rfclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Grit 'n Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
keyboard amps aren't meant to distort at all, ever!!

a decent keyboard amp should be able to be used as a pa for a small venue.

I've used a pair of the peavey KB100s for a 400 seater church.......
I LOVE the KB100! I've got access to one up at the church, and I've used for everything from bass to Electric to Acoustic to most recently, a set of electric drums. It packs a punch.
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #14

400 is about what our church sanctuary seats.

Guitar center apparently doesnt carry a peavey KB100 or 300. They do have a Kustom kb100.

Way to go wal-music.

Anyway, I'm actually fairly pleased with my windfall amp. I even found a really interesting feature that happens with I combine my cs-3 with the amp (ya, i use a cs-3 for bass. eeek ) Turns out, when i turn the sustain on the cs-3 to about 3 o clock, rather than just giving me a constant note like on other amps i've played, it actually works like a crescendo. I might have to test this neat effect out sometime.
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #15

The Peavey KB100 isn't manufactured anymore. The current equivalent would be the Peavey KB4.

I'm a podcaster