Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
forget and not slow down

Help! Im going crazy!!

Hey everyone. I just bought an acoustic b200 bass amp. I love it but I ran into a problem. It started to hum. When I turn the switch on it takes about 10 seconds to warm up then the humming starts. Its coming from the speaker and the horn, til I turn the horn off. Then its only speaker. I moved the amp away from anything else electronic, and also checked the ground. Nothing wrong. I noticed that if I move my bass closer or straight in front of the amp, it gets way louder. But its always there. What is the problem and how do I fix it? I don't have warranty because I bought it private. Please guys, I'm going nuts. Help.

marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Slappa da bass mon

I'm by no means the best person to anwer this question, but I've had an issue before with the humbuckers on my bass (apparently thhe wires had stiwted around inside and were touching metal) feeding back with the speakers on stage at church. It doenst sound like an issue with the amp to me...

I could be wrong, but I'd make sure your pickups are not acting up.
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
David P.

Have you tried plugging it in in a different venue other than your house? Sounds like a ground issue to me.. what type of bass are you using and what pickups?
relient nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
forget and not slow down

I'm using an ibanez gsr200 with the stock soundgear pickups. I haven't tried any other places, no, but explain more about what I need to look for as far as ground related problems.

I should also add that when I pull the cord, the hum goes away. Plug it in, the hum is there
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Slappa da bass mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall gibson View Post
I'm using an ibanez gsr200 with the stock soundgear pickups. I haven't tried any other places, no, but explain more about what I need to look for as far as ground related problems
I have a soundgear bass (stock pickups) as well... I'd definately look at the pickups and make sure nothing is amiss.
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
forget and not slow down

Ok could you explain to me what to look for and how to check them out. Sorry, I seem to be leaning on you guys pretty heavily for everything.
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Tired of being attacked

does it hum with the guitar not plugged in?

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
forget and not slow down

No it doesn't. Nnothing other than the fan whirring inside, anyhow. Sounds good long as its not plugged in.

Ok, I take that back. There is always a faint hum, it just gets stronger soon as I plug in. Turn on the amp, fan turns on, ten seconds later a definitive click and hum. With or without the guitar plugged in. I just now checked it again to be sure

Last edited by marshall gibson; 03-31-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Slappa da bass mon

Quote:
Ok could you explain to me what to look for and how to check them out. Sorry, I seem to be leaning on you guys pretty heavily for everything.
I just took the back electronics access cover off (I have an soundgear SRX300) and saw the the wires were twisted really screwey and they were touching metal. I adjusted it and haven't had an issue since.
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Have you tried any other cables?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Couple things here....

#1. Some level of hum is perfectly normal. You've got transistors, transformers, big electronics in that amp... it's gonna hum. I've owned over 10 ams in the last 6 years... I can't think of one that didn't have at least a little hum.

#2. If it gets to the point of being unmanageable when plugged in, then you have a problem and you should go down this checklist.

Are your pickups active: If yes, turn them down and see if the hum goes down.

Check the wiring on both the jack going out of your bass, and into the amp. Make sure there are no cold solder joints.

Try a different cable.

If you have any pedals, try going straight into the amp.

Play while rolling the pots on both your bass and your amp, make sure there are no jumps at any point on them.

There's a start...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #12

Good thoughts Ax.

Here's another one: If you turn the volume knobs on your bass all the way down, does the hum go away? IIRC, the GSR200 is a P/J pickup configuration. If you're using just the P (neck pickup) it should be silent, but as soon as you start adding in the J (bridge pickup) it will start to hum. It's just the nature of those types of pickups.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
forget and not slow down

Ok I'll check it out. So your saying its most likely the bass. Should I try new pickups?

Well I found out that even tho the amp has some hum even when not plugged in, when I plug it in, I control the hum with tho tone knob on the bass. So the brighter I want the sound, the more hum I have to deal with. Would that mean most of my problem is pickups?

Last edited by marshall gibson; 04-01-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #14

If the hum is bad enough that you can't perform with it then you'd want to get better pickups.

That being said, there is inherent noise in a P/J pickup configuration depending on how your pickup levels are set. If you were to pick up another set of passive P/J pickups you'd have the same problem whenever the two pickups aren't mixed.

Next time you have a chance, trying running your bass with the bridge pickup volume turned all the way down and the neck pickup turned all the way up. In this position your hum should be greatly reduced. Now do the opposite (full bridge, no neck) and the hum should increase.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Slappa da bass mon

Quote:
Ok I'll check it out. So your saying its most likely the bass. Should I try new pickups?

Well I found out that even tho the amp has some hum even when not plugged in, when I plug it in, I control the hum with tho tone knob on the bass. So the brighter I want the sound, the more hum I have to deal with. Would that mean most of my problem is pickups?
Depending on how much you want to spend on new pickups it might be better to just buy a new bass. You could probably get an SRX 300 for like $150ish

If you take it to a guitar shop they might be able to find and fix whatever is wrong with the pickup (if that's the problem)... they might even do it for free if it's just twisted up wires. Personally I'd just check for myself... see if you can find a diagram of the wiring online and make sure your's matches it.