Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
Semper ubi sub ubi!
 
1/2-Fast Player's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,703
It's possible your bass is picking up some electrical noise in the room. Possible sources would be any motors (air conditioner, fan), flourescent lights, a computer, etc.

Try getting away from everything (take your amp and bass out into the yard if necessary) and see if it still does it. You might just need to add some shielding to the bass pup and controls cavities, which isn't too terribly difficult.

__________________
I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
Well I took it to my guitar guy today. We figured its a ground because when we touched the strings or the bridge with the guitar plugged in, the hum would stop. Let the strings open, and it would hum away. We thought it was a pickup ground, but we plugged another ax in and it did it with that one too. He didn't figure it out, so I'm still sorta lost as to whether its amp or ax related
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall gibson View Post
Well I took it to my guitar guy today. We figured its a ground because when we touched the strings or the bridge with the guitar plugged in, the hum would stop. Let the strings open, and it would hum away. We thought it was a pickup ground, but we plugged another ax in and it did it with that one too. He didn't figure it out, so I'm still sorta lost as to whether its amp or ax related
Did you do the knob checks I said you should do?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
Yea I did and it was worse with the bridge pickup on. Now like I said before, my tone knob at full bright makes it sound even worse
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #20
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall gibson View Post
Yea I did and it was worse with the bridge pickup on. Now like I said before, my tone knob at full bright makes it sound even worse
When you had the bridge all the way off was it back to the non-plugged in hum, or was it still louder?

That is to say, list the following from least hum to most hum.

Amp: nothing plugged in
Amp: bass plugged in
Bass neck pickup full, no bridge pickup
Bass bridge pickup full, no neck pickup
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #21
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
I would say it went like this

Amp: unplugged- minor hum
Amp: plugged in- moderate hum
Bass: full neck, no bridge- moderate, same as above
Bass: full bridge, no neck- heavy hum

I hope I explained that good enough
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #22
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Yeah, perfect.

Now, when you touch the strings in the full neck/no bridge state, what happens to the hum?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #23
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
It stops, or gets very minor. Almost unhearable, if that's a word. Actually, in any state, if the strings are touched, the hum stops
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #24
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Do you remember what type of guitar your guitar guy plugged into your amp? Have you tried your bass on any other amps to see fi the problem persisted?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #25
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
He used a fender p-bass with the same style pickups. And no, I didn't plug into another one. I should have tried that. My bad
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #26
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
More and more I get the feeling that the issue you're having is something inherent in the design of your bass (and that particular pickup configuration). It could be reduced by shielding your bass or by getting noiseless pickups.

That being said, considering that this problem goes away when you touch the strings, as long as it isn't distractingly loud at other times I wouldn't worry too much about it. After all, how often do you play your bass when you're not touching the strings?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
Lol your right. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it a lot. My biggest reason for going ballistic was cuz it bugged the heck outta me, the amp being new and all. But I'll still play like you said, hands on the strings
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #28
Slappa da bass mon
 
scared2mosh's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
More and more I get the feeling that the issue you're having is something inherent in the design of your bass (and that particular pickup configuration). It could be reduced by shielding your bass or by getting noiseless pickups.

That being said, considering that this problem goes away when you touch the strings, as long as it isn't distractingly loud at other times I wouldn't worry too much about it. After all, how often do you play your bass when you're not touching the strings?
Kinda seems that way. I'm not sure it'd be worth the money to put new pickups in it though. In all honesty if the problem continues I'd get rid of the bass.

If I may... I highly reccomend this bass. You could probably get it for 150-200 and if you sold your current then it would barely cost anything... in fact it'd almost definately be cheaper than new pickups.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair Lewis
"Fascism will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a Bible."
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #29
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
Kinda seems that way. I'm not sure it'd be worth the money to put new pickups in it though. In all honesty if the problem continues I'd get rid of the bass.

If I may... I highly reccomend this bass. You could probably get it for 150-200 and if you sold your current then it would barely cost anything... in fact it'd almost definately be cheaper than new pickups.
My only issue is that this isn't really a "problem". It's part of the design of how single coil instruments are made. Can it be annoying? Sure. If the OP researched shielding he could probably reduce the hum for under $20.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #30
Slappa da bass mon
 
scared2mosh's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
My only issue is that this isn't really a "problem". It's part of the design of how single coil instruments are made. Can it be annoying? Sure. If the OP researched shielding he could probably reduce the hum for under $20.
Which is probably how much he'd spend upgrading his bass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair Lewis
"Fascism will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a Bible."
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2