Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Redneck

Send a message via Yahoo to Ak_Man4Jesus
Acoustic Bass Guitar

I am looking at trying to get a acoustic bass guitar.
I really don't know much about bass, but I have played one a few times.

Few questions.

#1 - Every bass guitar that I have ever seen is electric. Is there a reason why the electric would be better then a acoustic Electric? (I want to be able to play it with out plugging it in, but is a acoustic one is junk I can forget that)

#2 - For under $500, what brands/Models would you guys recommend in acoustic or electric?

Thanks

Ak_Man4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
I'm a girl. And a Bassist

Acoustic basses are out there. I have a friend who used to have one, it was really convienient and had a nice sound, though it was fairly quiet. I don't remember how much it cost him when he got it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Hey, I can change this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreakGirl View Post
though it was fairly quiet.
and there is the rub.......

to get a big acoustic sound you need a big acoustic body.

like a REALLY big body.

you're halving the frequency from a dread, so you would need to DOUBLE the body volume.

and thats a BIG instrument.

I don't know the proper name for these things, but to get an acoustic bass the body would need to be this size.......

the vast majority of acoustic bass guitars are electroacoustic and spend 99% of their time amplified.

I made an acoustic bass based on a dread sized body and played HARD it's not bad in an acoustic situation, but it's a LOT better amplified

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
I am not a shrimp

It's a guitarron.

Eastman 514 Mando; Scherl&Roth Violin
Way too many pennywhistles
thekingprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Redneck

Send a message via Yahoo to Ak_Man4Jesus
Ok, So if I get a electric, what size amp should I look at?

Ak_Man4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
I am not a shrimp

It kind of depends on your purpose. The folks at the talkbass forums rave about the Acoustic B20 for a bedroom practice amp. There are others as well that can provide enough sound for playing alone. Up to 100W is ok for that. If you want to play with others you will need a little more power. If you're just jamming with friends, 150W-200W will get you through. If you are going to gig with no PA support then you will probably want 300W+ and more than a single speaker setup. I hope that helps.

Eastman 514 Mando; Scherl&Roth Violin
Way too many pennywhistles
thekingprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Hey, I can change this!!!

for bass you want the biggest you can afford.

abso-flippin-lutely HUGE if possible!!

for church I have a 150w trace elliot head into the speaker cab from a Peavey KB100 keyboard amp

I have to have it virtually turned off to be useable!!

in this pic the gain and volume are both way down. this is still too high for church!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

IMO, you'd be better off with an electric bass gutair. There are only a few (a very small few) ABG's that have enough acoustic volume to be of much use without an amp anyway.
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Formerly Registered User

I'm seconding the "Acoustic bass is not worth it" crowd.
Get an electric. For under $500, is this including the amp? Try Craigslist. I got my current guitar setup (Squier Strat and Crate amp) for $100
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Jamming with the Lamb

Take a trip to your local music store/big box music store and try out some guitars. My only advice is to ignore the name on the product. Find the electric bass that feels good in your hands, something that you can imagine yourself standing with at a service when God takes over and the band ends up playing for 3 hours. (Been there, done that, never was so tired in my life on a drum set...first time I was ever glad to STOP playing the drum set).

Pray about it. God might have a specific bass in mind for you, at just the right time, so listen for that still, small voice.

As for an amp, it really does depend on what you need to do. Does your church have a good quality PA system with a subwoofer? Then you won't need a big amp, just a small one to use as a monitor. Doesn't have a good PA system? Then buy as big and heavy as your can afford/willing to tote. Don't just look as physical size, though. GK has a new lightweight amp out, the MB112. 12" speaker, 200 watts. 28 lbs. By all reviews so far, a great sounding amp that can work in a medium to large room. The MB115 with a 15" speaker is at 33 lbs, fills a big room just fine.

So, go forth and experiment! And make sure to take pictures of what you buy and report back.

Lotsa different instruments
caeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Christian Bass Hack

Send a message via AIM to rfclef
I had an Applause AE-40 acoustic/electric... I sold it at the beginning of the school year. I wish I had not. Great for going out on the curb and noodling while the kids are playing...
Listen to some of our songs at www.facebook.com/cryofstones

"Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"..."
rfclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to rexherring
I use both in our church. The acoustic is great for practicing with the acoustic guitar player. I do use it plugged in but be aware that acoustic basses don't work well with higher volumes and will feed back big time. Electric basses are a little easier to play when adjusted and can be used in more types of music. As far as bass amps, in church I use a Fender Bassman 25 watt with a single 10 inch and I never get the volume knob above 4 or 5. Big churches, run a line out or mic it to the PA. I've played for crowds of over 3,000 with that amp through the PA.
rexherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:05 AM   #13

Acoustic Bass

I picked up a Stagg AB203CE-N it was under $500 Sounds awesome unplugged, a little weak with a full band plugged in. (I've got a G&L 2500 I use when plugged in playing with the full band) Got it laced with D' Addario acoustics. It has a great Blues Rock sound. I've tried it with my church worship team when U crank it it feeds back, we have a 10 piece for worship it just can't cut through. BUT It does work great when the guitar player and I r practicing, or when the whole band is unplugged. It's an awesome bass for the money. U can check out a cover we did acoustically with my Gospel Rock group Grace Tree @ www.myspace.com/gracetree
I do agree with Caeman don't pay attention to names, I had never heard of this brand before, I saw it hanging on the wall @ my favorite store tried it out and had to have it. It has a great feel and has the unplugged sound I was looking for. As for the amp ? when playing with my worship team I use a SWR wedge 200wts, that we run through the house differently does the job for that. when with my band I have a Behringer ultra450 for smaller places and a Behringer BVT5500 running out of a Behringer 4x10 with 1x15, that puts plenty of thump out there. The amp just depends on what sound your looking for. So Blessing on your journey to find THAT bass. I can tell ya from experience when U find it you'll have no doubts. Peace

Last edited by 1daveymac; 07-23-2010 at 03:31 AM.
1daveymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
I like bananas

most of the acoustic basses that i've seen/heard about are very, very expensive, sonmeone told me theirs cost 1500 quid (new), but electric basses are cheaper.less expensive because they are more demanded. I personally think that if it the size of the amp and whatnot, you should get an electric and a small amp for extra freedom. I'm sure there are some that run on batteries.a plug you can put batteries into so you can plug it into a portable socket and put batteries into the portable socket, but then again, i may be wrong.
whynot? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
Christian Bass Hack

Send a message via AIM to rfclef
I picked up a pink Daisy Rock ABG offa Craigslist last month for 100 bucks. Great for what it is.. will never be loud enough to play unamplified at a gig, but for practice and dragging around without an amp, perfect. I suggest keeping an eye on CL and Ebay to see if you like it...
Listen to some of our songs at www.facebook.com/cryofstones

"Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"..."
rfclef is offline   Reply With Quote