Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
not so bright
 
tenwatt's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Ekron, KY
Posts: 3,206
Esteban Master Class Acoustic/Electric

One of the kids I'm giving lessons to recieved an Esteban Master Class guitar as a gift from his mother. I cringed when he told me that but I was really shocked how decent of a guitar this was for the price. I would put it ABOVE most other name brand acoustic guitars in that price range ($100-$200). The tone was good, the look was...kinda girlie...but cool, and it seemed to be a really solid guitar. I didn't get to plug it in so I have no comments on the pickup but overall I would think this is a fine entry level guitar.

__________________
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Deets Go Here
 
bravesfan007's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 15,005
I think the Esteban guitars get a bad wrap from those who haven't actually played them. I wouldn't imagine they are great, but they can't be worse than any other mass produced guitar in the same price range. They strive for that price range and cut corners in order to get there just like any other manufacturer. Part of his main problem is that you buy them from the QVC and the like rather than a dedicated music supplier.
__________________
If you are offended by most posts, please do not feel alone. I am an equal opportunity offender. I will offend everyone.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I would throw any bro under the bus for a Cheeto. Or a ho for that matter.

Not like a ho ho, mind you. Like a godly ho.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Did the guitar come with the "Bach to rock" amp!?!?!
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
not so bright
 
tenwatt's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Ekron, KY
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Did the guitar come with the "Bach to rock" amp!?!?!
It did come with an amp but I didn't see or hear it. It also had a pretty nice, framed softshell case that had quite a few goodies in it.
__________________
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Hey ya'll, watch this!
 
jeepnstein's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,275
It's just the same old thing about American Made versus foreign made. And then you have that whole cheesy Zorro schtick that is just so easy to laugh at. The guy has made a name for himself and is laughing all the way to the bank. It'll be interesting in ten years how many players will admit to their first guitar being an Esteban. Most of the guitars he sells will wind up in the trash, no different than any other beginner guitar since most folks don't stick to it. Americans love their cheese and Esteban is cheesy enough to keep us entertained.

From what I've seen the guitars are no different than the plywood cheapies that our local mom 'n pop sells for beginners. I can get one of them, with a basic setup, for around seventy bucks. They're probably all rolling out of the same factory anyway.

My wife has a sleeping problem and as a consequence watches a bit of QVC. On a couple of occasions she's almost ordered one of his guitars for our kids. I've convinced her that what he's really selling is learning DVD's and he's kicking in a cheap guitar with the deal. For now she's content with her new container of laundry detergent, space-saving hangers, a really cool sawhorse/vise thing, and the occasional bit of clothing.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Tubes are excellent.
 
CStephenson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Milton, Fl
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
... And then you have that whole cheesy Zorro schtick that is just so easy to laugh at. The guy has made a name for himself and is laughing all the way to the bank...

I very much hope to meet him and 'borrow' his hat for a picture or 2.
CStephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
not so bright
 
tenwatt's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Ekron, KY
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
It's just the same old thing about American Made versus foreign made. And then you have that whole cheesy Zorro schtick that is just so easy to laugh at. The guy has made a name for himself and is laughing all the way to the bank. It'll be interesting in ten years how many players will admit to their first guitar being an Esteban. Most of the guitars he sells will wind up in the trash, no different than any other beginner guitar since most folks don't stick to it. Americans love their cheese and Esteban is cheesy enough to keep us entertained.

From what I've seen the guitars are no different than the plywood cheapies that our local mom 'n pop sells for beginners. I can get one of them, with a basic setup, for around seventy bucks. They're probably all rolling out of the same factory anyway.

My wife has a sleeping problem and as a consequence watches a bit of QVC. On a couple of occasions she's almost ordered one of his guitars for our kids. I've convinced her that what he's really selling is learning DVD's and he's kicking in a cheap guitar with the deal. For now she's content with her new container of laundry detergent, space-saving hangers, a really cool sawhorse/vise thing, and the occasional bit of clothing.
I agree with most everything you say here. The purpose of me starting this thread was to confess that the guitar was a MUCH better instrument than I expected. Yes, it's a cheap, plywood, beginer guitar but it's just as good or better in construction and sound as most of the other guitars in it's price range. This was a huge surprise to me. If I was teaching a kid that needed a guitar I wouldn't have any guilt in refering him to buy one off eBay for $70.
__________________
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
While I've never met the guy, I did work on his "Enter the Heart" DVD-Audio disc many years ago. Having to listen to the music contained on said disc many times over and over did not make me a fan of his music...
That said, he's got a certain schmaltzy schtick about him and there are enough dubious claims about his supposed personal/professional relationship with Andreas Segovia that keep the "fans" guessing as to what the truth is.
Esteban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
His popularity definitely elevates him to being a poster child for the "being in the right place at the right time" campaign, imho, and he is a perfect fit for the HSN/QVC tv shopping medium, imho.

Honestly, if the guitars were that bad, he'd lose the gig. Apparently, they're ok for the $$$.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
Actually, I'll admit to having one. They sound ok. I learned on it and occasionally get it and play it. My biggest complaint is that its cheap which means there was no attention paid to detail. The action sucks, the finish is horrible, and it won't stay in tune for money. But sound wise I almost like it. Get the action and tuning problem fixed and the thing makes some reasonable racket
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Hey ya'll, watch this!
 
jeepnstein's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,275
You want cheap, I'll give you cheap...



SX Mentor Acoustic NA at RondoMusic.com

I'm betting they're rolling out of the same factory. I know a guy who has one and says it's the best sixty dollar guitar he's ever played. That's not saying much I know, but that will show you how much the other guy is raking in on his. I know Kurt is making money on these things or he wouldn't bother selling them.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
*meh*

Who needs a Martin? They're overpriced because of the name, anywayz...
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
Hey ya'll, watch this!
 
jeepnstein's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
*meh*

Who needs a Martin? They're overpriced because of the name, anywayz...
For sixty bucks you get the vague general approximation of a guitar. Shoot, if you get really lucky it might even be willing to stay in tune. For a lot more than that you can get the real thing. Somehow I don't think I'm turning my seven year olds loose with a D18 any time soon.

I'm holding out for the Rondo B stocks. I'll jump on one of these for thirty. It's just the ticket for those times when one needs to be willing to expose their guitar to a bit of risk. I'm talking a guitar that you can comfortably take on a Cub Scout campout. Yeah, that's a polite way to describe it. I'm just not finding anything in the pawn shops that can compete with that price point. There's probably a reason for that.

I always get a kick out of folks who have to insist this or that is "as good as a Martin" or whatever brand floats their boat. What they really mean is "it's good enough for my purposes but I don't want to admit being cheap".
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
not so bright
 
tenwatt's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Ekron, KY
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall gibson View Post
Actually, I'll admit to having one. They sound ok. I learned on it and occasionally get it and play it. My biggest complaint is that its cheap which means there was no attention paid to detail. The action sucks, the finish is horrible, and it won't stay in tune for money. But sound wise I almost like it. Get the action and tuning problem fixed and the thing makes some reasonable racket
The action on the one I played was fine and it seemed to stay in tune throughout the intire lesson (one hour).
__________________
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
forget and not slow down
 
marshall gibson's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenwatt View Post
The action on the one I played was fine and it seemed to stay in tune throughout the intire lesson (one hour).
hey these are mass produced man. That means that they aren't all perfectly the same. I have heard of these things being all you could want in a guitar tho so maybe you got one of those.
marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2