Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
forget and not slow down

looking for a good bass setup

Hey everybody I hope you can help me here. I'm looking for a good bass and amp setup. Could you help me with good name brands and models for both? Iv been looking at the charvel basses. Any word on those? As far as amps I'm wide open. I want something that's not too pricey yet I'm not ashamed to gig with. Any advice helps. Id like to hear from you.

marshall gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Give us a price point.

How's the used market in your area?

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #3

Acoustic amps are great for value but if you can afford more then GK might be better.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
forget and not slow down

Well we are looking at a washburn t-24 nnow priced at 275. no more than 300 for the ax, and about the same for the amp. Or even less. Why do you say acoustic amps are good for bass nbfan?
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
heeeey brother

I haven't played that model, but I generally don't like Washburns and try to stay away from them.
Never really dug the sound, and in my experience they have reliability issues.
Why are you looking at that specific bass? What drew you towards it?
I checked out a couple of reviews on it and it seems alight, but without playing one for myself I wouldn't recommend Washburn.

First off, I would check out Kijiji and see whats around. If you can find a Peavey T-20 or a T-40 take it. They usually go for $200-400 and are just solid, solid basses. My T-20 had a tag of $300 while they can be found for cheaper, they play and sound like they should cost way, way more.

In the $300 mark for a new bass, I really recommend any of the Squier Vintage Modified line. That would be these three:
Buy Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Jazz Bass | 4 String Electric Bass | Musician's Friend
Buy Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB | 4 String Electric Bass | Musician's Friend
Buy Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Precision Bass | 4 String Electric Bass | Musician's Friend
They are at $300 online, so if you find them in a store it can probably be talked down a little bit, or go used. Although it's still a fairly new line so used might be hard to find.
I also probably wouldn't go for that middle one, either - I personally love the tone, but it's not for everybody.

As far as amps go, I would second Acoustic. Just really nice amps in the price range. This is the only one I have played, though:
Buy Acoustic B100 100W 1x15 Bass Combo | Solid State Combo Amps | Musician's Friend
A buddy of mine was getting into bass so we picked one up for him. He has been quite happy with it.

Sorry, my suggestions are riding really close to your price limit, but I haven't messed around with stuff in that range for a while.

After thinking a bit about it, how would you feel about buying a cheaper bass - something from here:
http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html where the bass is going to cost you $200 (or less) shipped, then throwing the extra cash into a bit of a nicer amp?
I think you could be happy with that. At least, if I had $600 to spend on a bass and amp, that's probably what I would do.
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Just for clarity, in this case Acoustic Amplification is a company, not a type of guitar

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
forget and not slow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Just for clarity, in this case Acoustic Amplification is a company, not a type of guitar
Thanks for that. I was really confused there for a minute. Are there any other models from acoustic that would be good in that price range?

Also micahb, that washburn caught my eye cuz of how pretty it was. I looked further and people seemed to really love its sound according to reviews. Said it has a wide and solid tone range. I am looking at a fender p bass for 150 also. How are those?

A question. You said about buying a cheaper bass from rondo and then a better amp. How much is quality affected by the bass and amp separately? Which one affects sound more? Am I sacrificing either way by buying cheaper basses?

Last edited by thesteve; 02-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #8

If you can score a Fender P-Bass (not Squier) I would definitely get that over something from Rondo or really anything else under $200.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
heeeey brother

Quote:
A question. You said about buying a cheaper bass from rondo and then a better amp. How much is quality affected by the bass and amp separately? Which one affects sound more? Am I sacrificing either way by buying cheaper basses?
A half decent bass though a good amp will probably sound at least half decent. An amazing bass though a horrible amp will likely sound bad.
Further more:

1) The Rondos are actually pretty good. I know a few guys who play them at gigs and they are pretty nice.
2) The Rondo basses can be very easily and fairly cheaply upgraded to be killer basses, if you choose to do so later down the line. You can't really upgrade an amp, just need to buy a new one (or different speakers)
3) You mentioned gigging. I'm not sure what kind of places you will play, but consider this - good places are going to have you running through the PA. Great. But lots of smaller/less good places you will have to rely on just your amp. Having the best bass in the world is useless if nobody can hear you.

If it were me, I'd go for the cheap bass and better amp.

Mr. Thesteve
Have you played any Squiers recently?
The only new ones I have played were the Vintage Modified series, but I was really impressed with them. Perhaps their over all quality has gone up? (or it could just be the line)
Unread 02-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahb View Post
Mr. Thesteve
Have you played any Squiers recently?
The only new ones I have played were the Vintage Modified series, but I was really impressed with them. Perhaps their over all quality has gone up? (or it could just be the line)
I've played a few here and there. The VMs I've played seemed well built but not to my taste. Same goes with the CV series. Overall, Squier quality has definitely increased in the last two or three years on both the bass and guitar sides.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
forget and not slow down

what do you guys know about the OLP music man sting ray basses. i have heard little about them but they seem to be a collector item now. any word on them? they look as though they would play well
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall gibson View Post
what do you guys know about the OLP music man sting ray basses. i have heard little about them but they seem to be a collector item now. any word on them? they look as though they would play well
They're decent Stingray copies. They are a collectors item now because Ernie Ball and OLP cut ties so they are no longer being manufacturers. I would probably put them a little below the current Squier VM and CV lines, though if a big humbucker in the bridge spot is what you're looking for your options are limited.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #13
forget and not slow down

Well I finally have it narrowed down to two basses. The one is the washburn t-24. The other is an epiphone embassy standard IV. Both are the same price. Any advice?

As far as amps, nothing satisfactory. An ampeg ba 115 is a possibility. It has a sheffield speaker in it. Also a peavey tnt 115 maybe. What do you think I should do
Unread 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #14

Whoa dont narrow it down on basses without trying out the Ibanez GSR200 and SR300 both come in at under $300 and quite honestly blow everything else away... and for amp stay with acoustic or hartke, peavy's tones arent very good...
berzerker92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #15

I use an Acoustic B100. Excellent for the price and really works well with the traditional gospel, and southern I play.
It also works well with the other stuff i play at home and practice with.
The rest of the Acoustic stuff ( I think I have at least played thru all of it) sounds good also.
The 600 watt (?) head and cab combo is killer, but the B100 is sufficient, even more so if mic'ed for a big room.

Basses, meh, all my stuff is old.

Good used stuff can be found at pawn shops at killer prices, IF you know what you're doing.
I would put my Old Peavey Patriot, Washburn B10, or Hamer Slammer P-bass copy up against anything and I haven't payed more than $120.00 for any of them.

That said, used p-bass stuff even in a Squier, or maybe even better SX can be had , cheap.

I personally don't like Fender or Ibanez, but check it all out.

Matt