Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
heeeey brother

New Bass Day

Just picked up a 'new' bass
I was hard up for cash, so I had to put up my SVT 810 on Kijiji. I was really choked, but I got a decent bit of cash plus this bass for it, so I'm happy..ish.

Anyway, the bass. It's a '74 'Mann' p bass. Neck through, maple and mahogany and an active EMG pickup.

You probably don't know about the 'Mann' company...I sure didn't. So here is the info:
They were imported locally by Gar Gillies under both the name Mann and Garnet. Apparently most of these guitars and basses were destroyed upon coming to the states, but the Canadian ones survived. The ones that did get through to the states are under the name Reno.
This is the information I got from the guy who traded it with me. He says this is the third one he has owned, so he knows a bit about them. This back story really had no effect on me taking it or not, I already told him I would before I asked about it so I can't think of any reason he would make it up, so I'm gonna take it as truth.

It's interesting...pretty much opposite to my other pbass, which I wanted to be dark and boomy. This one is very bright and lively, probably due to the active EMG and the brass nut.

The EMG was put in by the previous owner. he also sanded off the Mann logo and put on a Fender one, and refretted it. The refret is kind of sub par, but I think it adds to the basses charm.

Here is one picture taken with my cell phone, for now. I'll update later when the camera comes home.

Last edited by Micahb; 02-12-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Micahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
That sounds pretty cool. Were these of MIJ manufacture?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
heeeey brother

Sure is.
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
heeeey brother

Just an update:
After some time playing around, I really like it.
I was having trouble eqing it at first. I am using a Sansamp RBI. To get the tone I like with my pbass with fralins, I really want very little processing. Blend at about 9 o'clock, presence at about 11 o'clock, then eq as I desire. Usually a bit of a bass boost, mid up a bit and treble a bit back.

With this new bass I am getting a crazy good sound with bass, mid and treble all at about 11 o'clock, presence about 1 o'clock, and the blend up as far as it can go. It really sounds horrible with the blend lower then anywhere about 1 o'clock.
With these settings I'm getting very close to a NIN Discipline sound. Not the sound I'm normally after at all, but something I could really not get at all with the other bass.

Another note: these pickups are insanely hot. I have the drive down all the way and I'm still getting a bit of grit. Not sure how I feel about that.
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
[Clever Words Here]

Looks pretty sweet man! And you can always replace the pickups if you end up hating the current ones!
Ethan.Bassist. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #6

Reminds me of my Aria Pro. Nice buy!
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
heeeey brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan.Bassist. View Post
Looks pretty sweet man! And you can always replace the pickups if you end up hating the current ones!
Yepp! Im not sure how EMG pickups work...I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the preamp or if the pickups need it.
They work in an odd was and I just don't know them...I want to take it down to passive first and see how that goes. I'm always nervous with active if the battery dies it doesn't go passive, it just goes out. So I'm outta luck if it dies mid song.

But we'll see! Need to look into it.
Unread 02-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahb View Post
Yepp! Im not sure how EMG pickups work...I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the preamp or if the pickups need it.
They work in an odd was and I just don't know them...I want to take it down to passive first and see how that goes. I'm always nervous with active if the battery dies it doesn't go passive, it just goes out. So I'm outta luck if it dies mid song.

But we'll see! Need to look into it.
I had EMGs in a Jazz Bass for awhile. The battery typically doesn't just die. It will start to fade before going completely dead.

From what I understand, EMGs are extremely low output pickups. I've heard some guys say that they will work without a battery, but the output of the signal is so low that it's completely unusable.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
heeeey brother

I wonder if I were to take it out and just boost it in front of the amp?

There is no EQing on the bass so it's just a straight up boost. Does the EMG preamp colour at all? Or if I was to take it out and boost it in front of the amp would I get the same tone?
Unread 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahb View Post
I wonder if I were to take it out and just boost it in front of the amp?
Maybe...I have no idea how weak the signal actually is
Quote:
There is no EQing on the bass so it's just a straight up boost. Does the EMG preamp colour at all? Or if I was to take it out and boost it in front of the amp would I get the same tone?
What do the knobs on the bass do? The pickups I had in my J were active, but I did not get any of the EMG pre-amp circuitry. I have no idea how the tone would shift if you tried to use them as passive pickups.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
heeeey brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Maybe...I have no idea how weak the signal actually is
Mk, I'll ask around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
What do the knobs on the bass do? The pickups I had in my J were active, but I did not get any of the EMG pre-amp circuitry. I have no idea how the tone would shift if you tried to use them as passive pickups.
Just volume and tone.

Can you remove the covers off of EMG pickups? I don't want to try and mess it up, but I'd really love to put creme cover on it...

Also, I'm not working on naming it...hmmm...
Unread 02-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #12

I don't think you can remove the covers, at least not easily. IIRC, the back of an EMG pickup is epoxy coated.

I'm a podcaster