Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #31
Semper ubi sub ubi!

+1 to what Rainer said.

What a new player needs, more than new axes and pickup swaps, is to earn a serious set of finger callouses. Play until your fingers bleed.

And while you're doing that, $ave up $ome ca$h. A few months from now you'll be a better player, have a better idea what you want, and have the cash to get it.

Patience, lad.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
3 months. No gear swapping. See what happens.
why do that?? your horrible man! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
+1 to what Rainer said.

What a new player needs, more than new axes and pickup swaps, is to earn a serious set of finger callouses. Play until your fingers bleed.

And while you're doing that, $ave up $ome ca$h. A few months from now you'll be a better player, have a better idea what you want, and have the cash to get it.

Patience, lad.
how do you know im a new player? lol

Last edited by thesteve; 02-10-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #33
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
why do that?? your horrible man! lol
It's my wisdom that I bestow upon you.

Quote:
how do you know im a new player? lol

Well, can you count the time you've been playing in terms of decades yet?

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #34
Semper ubi sub ubi!

> how do you know im a new player?

You told us you're 15 years old. You're still new at everything.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
It's my wisdom that I bestow upon you.

Well, can you count the time you've been playing in terms of decades yet?
i cant count the time i've been living in decades yet
Unread 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #36
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Then you are going to be fairly new at playing.

Gear swapping is one of the worst things a young player can get involved in. It is time consuming, and a lot of gear has a learning curve.

Personally, my suggestion would be to hold onto what you have got, maybe get a good, simple amp. (A 2 or 3 channel, channel switching tube amp would be my suggestion)

Use that for a while.

I have found that with either of my main amps, whether I am playing rock, soft stuff, praise and worship, punk or metal can be accomplished without touching a switch or knob, on the same guitar, on the same amp, based on attitude, pick attack, and how and what you play. That is far more influential than your pickups, or your guitar's style.

You will probably come and go on the high gain stuff. You will probably have fender days and gibson days in the future, and you may discover that your idiosyncrasies do not jive with a style of guitar. (Me and strats do not get along well.)

Most guys will want at least one fender style and one gibson style guitar if they can.

I have my days when a tele sounds exactly right, and I have days when I want to play a les paul, or a melody maker, or some other guitar.

Im a big fan of saving for the real thing.

*edit* Is this a highway one? I was looking at another thread, and something you said made me wonder. If it is, I think you would be nuts to make this trade. *edit*

My Life.

Last edited by BillSPrestonEsq; 02-11-2010 at 12:33 PM.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #37
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:

Yes you can. One....
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Yes you can. One....
good point
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #39

If I were you I'd save the Strat and save up for a Les Paul. I was in exactly your position (I was thinking of selling my MIM Strat to help fund a Les Paul) when I was your age. Which was only two years ago, but it's amazing how much you can learn in two years... Anyway, I'm really happy I saved the Strat and saved up for a Les Paul in addition to it. My parent's helped me, and maybe you won't be so fortunate, but you can still save enough money on your own. Save every little thing you can, whether it's $5 or $50, and you'll have enough for an Epi Les Paul in no time. A Gibson would take longer, yes, but it would be well worth the wait.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioAUnderdog View Post
If I were you I'd save the Strat and save up for a Les Paul. I was in exactly your position (I was thinking of selling my MIM Strat to help fund a Les Paul) when I was your age. Which was only two years ago, but it's amazing how much you can learn in two years... Anyway, I'm really happy I saved the Strat and saved up for a Les Paul in addition to it. My parent's helped me, and maybe you won't be so fortunate, but you can still save enough money on your own. Save every little thing you can, whether it's $5 or $50, and you'll have enough for an Epi Les Paul in no time. A Gibson would take longer, yes, but it would be well worth the wait.
the reason im wanting to trade is, i generally see strats going for 200-250 used. i see epi lps going for 300 or so used. if i trade, then sell the les paul... thats just 50-100 more
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #41

Even so, 50 or 100 bucks isn't really that great of a deal. Especially since you aren't planning on selling the Les Paul if you get it. The Fender is more likely the better quality guitar that will actually retain it's value just as well. Especially since Fender's recent price hikes put the MIM Strat at $450 or more new. The used prices will catch up over the next few years.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioAUnderdog View Post
Even so, 50 or 100 bucks isn't really that great of a deal. Especially since you aren't planning on selling the Les Paul if you get it. The Fender is more likely the better quality guitar that will actually retain it's value just as well. Especially since Fender's recent price hikes put the MIM Strat at $450 or more new. The used prices will catch up over the next few years.
uh i am planning on selling the les paul.

my plan was, trade, sell lp, sell my pickguard with pearly gates (already up on ebay), have 450 hopefully, save some cash and play my acoustic till i get near 550 or so, and then try and find a lp studio or something
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #43
switchback39

Chups a lot of good wisdom has been spoken, I am a notorius gear swapper ...only to find myself wishing I could get it BACK! .... Epi's are cool but.... you need to spend time with an instrument you aren't used too playing....even if you swap and sell just to get an LP how do you know you really like it other than just tone preference....... go to your local dealer and spend time playing some LP's maybe a week or two and compare different LP's feel and sound different much like fenders...... be patient you'll work it out ..God Bless
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #44

ok i've been playing lots of les pauls especially studios everytime i go to gc. i abosutely want a studio, but i dont have the money. i could sell my strat for 200-250 and sell my pickguard for like 15. then im at 350 to 400. or i could trade for les paul, sell it for 300, pickguard sell, then i have 450 or so. why not do that?

if i dont want the strat or epi in the end, why not trade fist
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #45
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
for what it's worth, I think that headstock is genuine. I had a roomie who bought a epi LP from GC back in ~04 and it had the "GIBSON" TRC with 3 screws as well. orange one in the pic.

For what it's worth, I'd save up and figure out what you've got. I regret not keeping some guitars, and not selling others, and realistically until you know what you really like, that'll happen a lot.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote