Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2002, 06:51 PM   #1

Thief Effects?

Hey guys,

I usually don't poke my head in the guitarists' forum very often, but I was wondering what effects Third Day uses on the song Thief. Preferably the effects on the Offerings version, but anything would be helpful. Some friends and I are doing the song as a special at church.

Thanks.

Drumin4thecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-12-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
MISTER agreeable to you.

The cleanish guitar at the beginning is going through a volume pedal, delay and phaser. It sounds like he turns off the delay when it gets a bit more distorted.

Listening again, I would say the volume pedal is probably before the input of the amp, not in the effects loop. Marshalls clean up well when you roll back your volume. If your amp doesn't, you'll probably have to switch between the clean and distorted channel, which won't quite capture the effect.

He could also be using the volume knob on his guitar, since it's before the preamp.

That strange, almost reverse sounding part towards the beginning is just an artifact of the volume pedal and delay. It's a cool effect.

He turns up the phaser a bit towards the end, it sounds like, so maybe it's a multi effects unit, or he has several in a patch bank (I'd say that's most likely) or he has really nimble toes and can adjust that sort of stuff on the fly. (Or he just bent down and spun a knob, I guess...)

So... my guess looks like this:

Guitar -> Volume Pedal -> phaser -> delay -> Marshall.
MisterAgreeable is offline   Reply With Quote