Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

I need advice!

Ok, give me a break. I'm still a little new to the whole bass thing but I am ready for a new amp. I've been looking around and I found one that I kind of like. This thing is huge so don't freak out when you click the link:

Buy Behringer Ultrabass BB410 1200W 4x10 Bass Cabinet | Amp Cabinets | Musician's Friend

I know it's big but I figured for $300 I could get that one or get something smaller for the same price. Is this advisable or should I change to something else?

I was talking to a friend about it and he said I might need a head for amp shown above. I don't know anyone who owns a head (none of us have felt like giving out that much money) so I don't know how they work or what to look for in a head. Any advice on this would be great! Thanks a bunch!

I_is_Homelearnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Yes, you'd need a amp head to go with that speaker cabinet.

What's your total budget for all of this?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_is_Homelearnd View Post
I was talking to a friend about it and he said I might need a head for amp shown above. I don't know anyone who owns a head (none of us have felt like giving out that much money) so I don't know how they work or what to look for in a head. Any advice on this would be great! Thanks a bunch!
Your friend is correct. What your link leads to is a bass speaker cabinet. The head contains the electronics that drive the speakers. You're probably more familiar with the combo amplifier--a single unit that houses the speakers and the amp.

So, an example of a head that would be a companion for those speakers is something like this: Buy Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head | Solid State Amp Heads | Musician's Friend

Of course there are myriad possibilities when it comes to such couplings. There is a lot of information out there on the internet. You'll probably want to take your budget into account first and then go from there.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
heeeey brother

As they said, budget first then decide on a head.

But really - don't buy this cab. Absolute crap. Sounds horrible and its just made very poorly. I worked for a year at a guitar shop that sold them and I got complaints all the time about the handles breaking, corners coming off, and a bunch of other stuff.
I don't know of other 4x10s for that price, but you can get an Avatar 2x10 for $320, which will do you much better IMHO.
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Hey, I can change this!!!

Gang, may I congratulate you all for treating I_IS_Homelearned with respect and NOT flaming the pants off him.

Many's a forum he'd have been called all kinds of names for not knowing about heads & cabs, so WELL DONE everyone!!

O yeah, and I agree with all the above posts

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
What's your total budget for all of this?
Ok, I'd like to spend under $500, this is including a head.
I_is_Homelearnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_is_Homelearnd View Post
Ok, I'd like to spend under $500, this is including a head.
Unless your heart is set on a head+cab I'd recommend a combo amp at that price range. Something like this: Buy Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Bass Combo Amp | Solid State Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Christian Bass Hack

Send a message via AIM to rfclef
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap_j View Post
Unless your heart is set on a head+cab I'd recommend a combo amp at that price range. Something like this: Buy Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Bass Combo Amp | Solid State Combo Amps | Musician's Friend
I own this amp, and I gotta say I love it. It has plenty of power,,, that is a LOUD 180 watts. It will fill a good sized room. I use it at church every Sunday... SUed to use it alone, now I plug it into the house and use it as monitor. When gigging, I usually plug in a 2x10 estension cab, and have done a lot of indoor and outdoor gigs and never felt under-powered. It is rugged (I have dropped it once or twice) and sounds great. I got mine used offa Craigslist... But this is a great amp and has my vote...
Listen to some of our songs at www.facebook.com/cryofstones

"Basses do not "gently weep"... they will rattle the walls, lay the foundation, soothe the body and the mind, or bellow in fury as they strike you down with a bat'leth, but they do not "gently weep"..."
rfclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #9

I just kinda went through this. Keep an eye out on Ebay and Craigslist and other forums. I picked up a pre-gibson Trace Elliot 4x10 8ohm cab and a Hartke HA-3500 for less than $400. 4x10s and 250 watts should be pretty loud, if it isn't enough bottom end I'll pick up a 15. I have seen a set of Hartke 1x15 and 4x10 xl cabs for $300. The deals are out there, just have to look for them
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #10

Just got the head in the mail today.... Sorta New Rig Day?!!! Anyway, here it is

Doesn't sound too bad for a budget rig. Since I left my Bass at church, I only played my Tele through it, but it sounds pretty good with that.
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote