Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Overlord of Kentls

Age old guitar argument

No this has nothing to do with me, Iím asking because on some of the other places Iíve been (try to see if I can find those old links)
They say some canít learn guitar, Iím saying I have no clue about it at all.

and of couse
Another thing Came up which I found weird.
This guy who is an extremist Christian put ďgod sometimes does not want you to play guitar because he wants you to do something elseĒ or words to that effect with out the playing rock is a sin bit

so whats your take can anyone learn guitar?

and do you think god will stop you? (we know he can but will he?)

Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I believe the following:
Everyone is gifted or skilled to do something well.
Some people play music, others build things out of wood, others are teachers and doctors and ditch diggers, etc...and some skills will seem to come naturally to some while seemingly not at all to others.
An example I've used before for me is woodworking.
I love woodworking...or I used to think that I did.
Since middle school I have been trying to build things out of wood.
And I've got an awful lot of tools that would lead the casual observer to believe that I might actually know what I'm doing...that is until you take a look at what I've built.
It's crap.
I can't measure, I can't cut, I can hardly nail and glue (Thank GOD for my Porter Cable compressor and nail gun), and I don't possess hardly 1/1000th of the ability as that dude Norm from Old Yankee Workshop has.
Still, it fascinates me even though 30+ years of experience has taught me that it's not where my abilities lay.
I'm ok with this.
That's what I believe.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Hey ya'll, watch this!

God gives us all sorts of gifts. Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload. That is a good thing. Now you have to learn patience.

If there's something you feel called to do, you need to carefully set about learning how it is done. Examine your weaknesses and come up with a plan to overcome them.

Yeah, anyone can learn to play a guitar. That doesn't mean one has a gift for music.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
No this has nothing to do with me, I’m asking because on some of the other places I’ve been (try to see if I can find those old links)
They say some can’t learn guitar, I’m saying I have no clue about it at all.

and of couse
Another thing Came up which I found weird.
This guy who is an extremist Christian put “god sometimes does not want you to play guitar because he wants you to do something else” or words to that effect with out the playing rock is a sin bit

so whats your take can anyone learn guitar?

and do you think god will stop you? (we know he can but will he?)
Kentl, Im sure you will identify with some of this because we both have some physically similar issues I think.

My Piano teacher suggested I quit piano because of issues I was having. I was trying for a few years and I had tremendous trouble crossing the midline. To be blatantly honest, the two sides of my body do not coordinate well. It effects a lot of things.

I was extraordinarily ungifted at guitar. I mean extraordinarily bad. I watched people at it for a month blow past me after 5 years. However, I always loved the sound of an electric guitar solo. Now I can play pretty well.

Maybe some people can't learn, but very clearly I could, and in the improvement I have seen in you on the boards, very clearly you can too.

Don't ask "Can I learn?" assume you can and ask "How do I learn?" Thats a whole different question. I am going to suggest picking songs and working on them. Not Jesus loves me, but songs YOU want to learn. That way, you feel the motivation and drive to learn them.

I can see in you that you are stubborn and tenacious. That can be a darn good thing. Just don't give up. Occasionally there are breakthroughs in playing, and while you may feel that you suck and nothing has changed, in a couple years you will be listening to yourself and seeing where you are as opposed to where you were.

As far as the other question, there is really no biblical basis for a genre or set of sounds being evil.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Hey, I can change this!!!

OK firstlky let me say that this answer is NOT aimed directly at YOU Kentl!!!

ever watch American Idol?

see those deluded folks who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket and have voices like a cat trying to go to the toilet through a sewed up rear end........

who say that God told them to audition.........

Some people will never be able to play ANY instrument to any standard at all.

Some people will be able to play like Hendrix/ Tommy Emmanuel/ Vai/ Satriani/Clapton etc after an unbelivably short time.

the rest of us are in the spectrum in between.

the mindset in Britian is very negative while the US mindset seems to be very positive.

two teenagers with EXACTLY the same talent/ability/skill, one in Birmingham UK, one Birmingham Al.

the brit says "I'm not very good at guitar even though I practice loads"

The Yank says "I'm progressing well and with a few more lessons I WILL get that gig on next years G3 tour"

the clincher comes when the two appear in public at a jam session.

folks say to the Brit, "hey you aren't as bad as you think"

they say to the Yank "man what are you posturing about, you SUCK!!"

as a Brit who loves Idol etc, it SEEMS that there are a LOAD of talentless idiots in the US who's Mom has reinforced their delusions to such an extent that they feel that they DESERVE a million $ contract TODAY.....

there are a few of these here, but not so many........

now to playing guitar.

it's a gift.

like being able to sing.

or praying in tongues

or prophesy.

you might pray five times a day for that gift and God'll say, no, sorry, I have other plans for you.

My Mum isn't a singer.

she loves to sing, but it isn't a pleasant experience to listen to her sing.

God has not gifted her with Maria Carey's voice, yet SHE will sing bumble round the house singing away to her hearts content, while the rest of us dive for cover and burry our heads under cushions for protection.....

maybe your guitar playing is for YOUR pleasure rather than a wider audience.

is that God's fault?

maybe it is, but there are otther gifts that you HAVE that are also Gods fault.

10 years ago I felt God moving in my life and felt that I should at the very least take a look at full time ordained ministry.

I went to the 4 day selection conference and was turned down.

my rejection letter acknowledged that I had areas of gifting but the panel felt that the ordained ministry was not for me.

at the time it stung like a slap, but looking back I can now see the wisdom of that decision.

how does this apply to your guitar playing?

keep playing.

have fun

try to learn new stuff

but don't blame God that you aren't asked to stand in for Yngwie if he breaks a finger!!!

I've been playing for nearly 30 years and I've NEVER played a solo on stage.

I can strum pretty well, I can play bass pretty well, but I sure aint a lead player.

and thats OK!!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
[Removed]

Anyone can learn, but God gives different people different gifts, and in different ways and levels, according to what He wants them to do.
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Martin,

Americans are an impatient people. We want it all and we want it now. We are also a nation of folks who love to make excuses. Everyone these days has this or that thing that holds them back through no fault of their own. I always get a kick out of going abroad and seeing the typical Ugly American who wants to get to the lantern of St. Peters but can't understand why they have to take the stairs like everyone else. No wonder folks love and hate us at the same time.

I just finished up a series of lessons with a kid at our church who is no doubt going to be a very good player some day. That is, he will be if he decides he wants to practice. You see, he lives in a land of Milk and Honey and can slide by on his considerable smarts. When his lack of focus is exposed through his music he loses interest in music. He can get his gratification fix easier off of a video game or whatever he's into right now. His parents are very interested in seeing him succeed in spite of himself. In the eyes of some I'm sure it's my fault the kid didn't progress any faster. In truth, he did quite well.

Then you get a kid like Kentl who wants to be a good player, wants to be that way right now, and has no idea of how to get there. Excuses that are accepted elsewhere don't really cut it in the music world. So he goes from a world where people make allowances for his perceived weaknesses to one where his music exposes them fully. That's gotta hurt. But the kid keeps on digging even though it would be acceptable in today's society for him to just make an excuse and move on. He's stuck doing it the hard way because that's really the only way there is to get where he's going.

So where does that leave us? A very wise friend of mine once stated that it takes 1,000 hours to master an instrument. The difference among many of us is the willingness to devote that portion of our lives to learning. Talent and physical traits can accelerate that mastery or even move us beyond the boundaries of what has been seen before. For us mere mortals the 1,000 hour rule applies.

So, Kentl, how many hours do you have left to go? An hour a day for three years should do it. That's a thousand hours of productive and earnest study doing the stuff that we all find so mind-numbingly boring like scales and theory. I figure I'll get to that point in maybe another ten years, Lord willing.

That's my sermon of the week.

Phillipians 3:12, not entirely the same context but still quite applicable....
Unread 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Semper ubi sub ubi!

> You see, he lives in a land of Milk and Honey and can slide by on his considerable smarts. When
> his lack of focus is exposed through his music he loses interest in music. He can get his gratification
> fix easier off of a video game or whatever he's into right now. His parents are very interested in
> seeing him succeed in spite of himself.

You just described my 15-year-old son. Have you been giving him lessons without telling me?

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
assistant regional mgr.

anyone can learn how to put their middle finger on fret three and strike the fat string. some people are naturally talented at it. I'm not convinced God is concerned with who plays guitar or who does not so much as He is concerned with the condition of our heart. If you do play, He may choose to use you or may choose to not use you, musically. But again, it all comes back to how your heart is in relation to God.

I gave up a long time ago on the concept that God cares about which canned corn I buy at the grocery store or which pillow I sleep with at night or whether I play the guitar or banjo or tuba. Though He has shown quite a bit of interest as to whether I eat too much canned corn or if I think naughty thoughts while my head is on my pillow or whether I turn my guitar into an Idol I run to when angry or sad. my two cents.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Hey, I can change this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDominator View Post
I gave up a long time ago on the concept that God cares about which canned corn I buy at the grocery store or which pillow I sleep with at night or whether I play the guitar or banjo or tuba.
God loves music.

He really DOES care if yopu play the B@njo!!!!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
blessed beyond reason

I think anyone can learn to play. Some people are natural born musicians, some are not. I can sing well. It has nothing to do with me, it's a natural ability. But I have to work at being a musician. And that takes time. And patience. And time. And not giving up.

I may never get to the point on my guitar that people actually ask me to play for them. I'm often asked to sing. But I'm ok with that. I enjoy playing the guitar. I know I will get better if I put in more time, and when I don't it's my own fault. I'll probably never be the next Audio Underdog, but I enjoy playing anyway.
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
assistant regional mgr.

God loves all that He has created. But does He need to micromanage a created being with a free will as to what piece of wood and metal I run my hands over?

Well sorry - unless it's a banjo, of course...

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
recovering user

Banjos are from the evil one.

Just sayin'.

mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Banjos are from the evil one.

Just sayin'.

Tell that to this guy.

Unread 01-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Banned

i know a guy that loved to draw even though he sucked at it. me, i've been gifted with amazing skill that required almost no practice and with consistent practice just blows people away. that isn't bragging, its just the fact of the matter. so my friend practiced and practiced and i even thought once "wow, it sure is a shame he sucks at this because he sure does love it".

well? now he creates art that absolutely blows my mind with its realism and i dont draw hardly anything hardly ever. the moral of the story? natural born talent means absolutely nothing when it comes to doing something well, its all about whether or not its in your heart to do it.

now the flipside is this. i love skateboarding. its SO much fun. unfortunately i totally blow at it. maybe i could be good but i just dont have the heart to spend the thousands of hours required to overcome my natural skate-handicap.

it ain't about whats in your head, its about whats in your heart. you can add to the head but ya can't make yourself love something.
PerishtheDay is offline   Reply With Quote