Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
This being the case, do you really need an amp? It sounds like a quality DI solution (like Sansamp) still might work for you.
I will still need a new amp in the not too distant future for practing at home and when I visit a small church that my friend works at that has no sound system at all.

I went to a couple of the music stores here just to ask around and see what they have and what they reccommend. One guy was really helpful. He admitted that he plays a Fender, but that he's been reccommending Ibanez more and more. He had one in stock that I looked at - I didn't play it because it was a six string and really wasn't interested in it, but he brought out a catalog and showed me all the five strings and I saw one that was a quilted maple and I asked about it. He did some math and said that he would sell it to me for $650 including a case. (He totally switched into salesperson mode). He said that when I'm ready to get serious about making a purchase that he'll order it and let me play it a bit to see if I want to buy it. Its an Ibanez SR405QM CNB. (He made me a copy of the page in the catalog and I found it online.)

Ibanez :: Basses :: SR405QM

Any thoughts? Would this be a pretty good option for me to look into?

__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.

Last edited by thesteve; 01-12-2010 at 06:10 PM.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 39,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreakGirl View Post
I went to a couple of the music stores here just to ask around and see what they have and what they reccommend. One guy was really helpful. He admitted that he plays a Fender, but that he's been reccommending Ibanez more and more. He had one in stock that I looked at - I didn't play it because it was a six string and really wasn't interested in it, but he brought out a catalog and showed me all the five strings and I saw one that was a quilted maple and I asked about it. He did some math and said that he would sell it to me for $650 including a case. (He totally switched into salesperson mode). He said that when I'm ready to get serious about making a purchase that he'll order it and let me play it a bit to see if I want to buy it. Its an Ibanez SR405QM CNB. (He made me a copy of the page in the catalog and I found it online.)

Ibanez :: Basses :: SR405QM

Any thoughts? Would this be a pretty good option for me to look into?
Major step down in basses from the warmoth or the carvin options I think... I think Warmoth is going to be your highest quality option...
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Major step down in basses from the warmoth or the carvin options I think... I think Warmoth is going to be your highest quality option...
Good to know
__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
Registered User
 

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
my bassist at my church uses a carvin 5 string, and to be completely honest just get a 5 string Made in America Fender. the back-up bassist uses one and it is so much nicer.

Also i play an ibanez SR bass its decent but def. go for a fender or also look at Warwick.
berzerker92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
Registered User
 
seventoglory's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 211
Man yall must have got some lemon carvins. Although there was no explanation of what the shortcomings were in the earlier posts. I havent got my hands around a bad carvin yet. The body shape is very ergonomic. Good wood selection. Great attention to the fretwork, which the american divisions of some of the box store brands have been missing somewhat lately.

Warmoth is decent. Although if theyre doing the fretboard overhangs for basses with more than 20-21 frets that really blows IMO. Messes up upper fret access and feel. I dont know if they do regular 22-24 fret necks without the goofy overhang now. Hopefully they do. Otherwise they have great craftsmanship. The overhang thing has kept me from going with them though. If you dont care about the upper frets then it shouldnt matter.

Ibanez has some decent basses in there upper end line. I wouldnt go any less than the prestige models. However you will definately "pay" for the quality of there made in japan product.

Warwick is a great bass as well but you will also have to shell out for the quality.
seventoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #21
Registered User
 

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
Okay, I just found this site and joined so that I could answer your question, so bear with me!

While I was playing in the band at my last church, I bought and used what I think is a Carvin LB75 5 string. Mine has a quilted maple top, neck through construction, factory pickups and electronics, oil finish and Hipshot D-Tuner. I bought it used at a Guitar Center that a friend worked at and cut me a deal on before they went to fixed prices. I compared it to Ibanez 5 strings similar to the one you mentioned, Schecters, Fenders, Ernie Balls and one lower-end Warwick.

To me, the Carvin had an overall much better build quality, had a slimmer neck than other 5 strings, had a through-body bridge, and was significantly lighter than the other 5 strings that I tried out in the $500-$1000 Guitar-Center's-usual-basses section. The great part is that Carvins almost always take a HUGE price hit on the used market. Maybe this is due to them being custom/semi-custom made instruments, or maybe not. Whatever the reason, I paid about $625 for mine with new strings, Straplocks and a gigbag.

However, one thing that I can't stand about Carvin has been my experiences talking with their customer service. I called them up to see if they could tell me anything about my new-to-me bass (model, year of production, etc for replacement cost) for my renter's insurance forms, and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me a thing. When I pushed them a bit, the representative responded something to the effect of "We don't really keep track of the serial numbers." Granted, I didn't buy new from them, so I can understand that they weren't making any money from me, but this makes it almost impossible for me to list it honestly on my rental insurance. Hopefully, I'm simply an exception to the rule and/or they have gotten better.

If you're set on getting a Carvin 5 string, then I'd suggest you hit up Craigslist, TB or make the rounds in your local music and pawn shops. Who knows? You might even find one with a red quilted maple top! Are you at all open to other brands, colors or woods?

I attached a couple of pics of mine; hopefully they come through okay! Happy Hunting!
Attached Thumbnails
wr.jpeg   wr-1.jpeg  
KevanTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #22
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanTheBear View Post
Okay, I just found this site and joined so that I could answer your question, so bear with me!

While I was playing in the band at my last church, I bought and used what I think is a Carvin LB75 5 string. Mine has a quilted maple top, neck through construction, factory pickups and electronics, oil finish and Hipshot D-Tuner. I bought it used at a Guitar Center that a friend worked at and cut me a deal on before they went to fixed prices. I compared it to Ibanez 5 strings similar to the one you mentioned, Schecters, Fenders, Ernie Balls and one lower-end Warwick.

To me, the Carvin had an overall much better build quality, had a slimmer neck than other 5 strings, had a through-body bridge, and was significantly lighter than the other 5 strings that I tried out in the $500-$1000 Guitar-Center's-usual-basses section. The great part is that Carvins almost always take a HUGE price hit on the used market. Maybe this is due to them being custom/semi-custom made instruments, or maybe not. Whatever the reason, I paid about $625 for mine with new strings, Straplocks and a gigbag.

However, one thing that I can't stand about Carvin has been my experiences talking with their customer service. I called them up to see if they could tell me anything about my new-to-me bass (model, year of production, etc for replacement cost) for my renter's insurance forms, and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me a thing. When I pushed them a bit, the representative responded something to the effect of "We don't really keep track of the serial numbers." Granted, I didn't buy new from them, so I can understand that they weren't making any money from me, but this makes it almost impossible for me to list it honestly on my rental insurance. Hopefully, I'm simply an exception to the rule and/or they have gotten better.

If you're set on getting a Carvin 5 string, then I'd suggest you hit up Craigslist, TB or make the rounds in your local music and pawn shops. Who knows? You might even find one with a red quilted maple top! Are you at all open to other brands, colors or woods?

I attached a couple of pics of mine; hopefully they come through okay! Happy Hunting!
Welcome to CGR! And thanks for your input. I'm open to any brand - what I am looking for is quality (and looks of course - it can be the best quality instrument but if I think its ugly, well, I obviously don't want it). I want wood stained preferably red, and honestly am actually set on maple, now that I've done a little more research.
__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
Registered User
 
rexherring's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Western North Dakota
Posts: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to rexherring
I've been playing bass for over 30 years and have played many different brands and styles. I have over the past several years started using Dean brand more and more. They are imports but very good imports, most with active EMG pups. The Q-5 can be had in red quilt also. Right now I own 6 Dean basses and won't sell any of them.

Dean Electric Guitars-Acoustic Guitars-Bass Guitars

ps - Where in sunny ND are you?, I'm in Dickinson.
rexherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
Honeymoonin'
 
redbaron's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton, wa
Posts: 4,918
Send a message via AIM to redbaron
Our bassist at church has one of these hartke kickback 12's for when he doesn't feel like hauling his ampeg around. Pretty decent tone for smaller rooms and it has a balanced out (xlr) to drop in the system.

I've seen em cheaper and something in that neighborhood leaves you a bit more latitude on budget with the bass itself
__________________
-andrew
{insert witty signature}
-->check out my user title!<-- (Oh BTW CLICK ON THAT RED STUFF )
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexherring View Post
ps - Where in sunny ND are you?, I'm in Dickinson.
Little old Minot ND

And I ordered my bass today! I ended up going for a Ibanez SRA505. I really wanted to be able to play it before commiting to the purchase, so I went to a local music store. He's going to let me try it out, and if I don't want it, he'll keep it in the store window. But I'm excited. Since its my first, I decided to go for something cheaper than I was originally looking at. And I've heard decent things from Ibanez.
__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #26
Registered User
 
Ashleigh's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,208
For amps i would probably look at something like this Acoustic B200 200W 1x15 Bass Combo and more Bass Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com. I haven't actually played an Acoustic amp before but ive heard great things about them. 200w would be plenty loud for church type gigs and it has an xlr out if you need to plug it into a sound system.
__________________



Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
Registered User
 
rexherring's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Western North Dakota
Posts: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to rexherring
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreakGirl View Post
Little old Minot ND

And I ordered my bass today! I ended up going for a Ibanez SRA505. I really wanted to be able to play it before commiting to the purchase, so I went to a local music store. He's going to let me try it out, and if I don't want it, he'll keep it in the store window. But I'm excited. Since its my first, I decided to go for something cheaper than I was originally looking at. And I've heard decent things from Ibanez.
Are you getting it from Jacobson's Music? I know he's an Ibanez dealer,and a friend of mine, they do have very nice slim necks. I used to have one of the 4 string 300 series and it was pretty good or the money.
rexherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #28
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexherring View Post
Are you getting it from Jacobson's Music? I know he's an Ibanez dealer,and a friend of mine, they do have very nice slim necks. I used to have one of the 4 string 300 series and it was pretty good or the money.
Yeah, I got it from Jacobson's She's a beauty!
__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2