Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
whatsa good guitar for moi?

sooo im in need of a new guitar. actually not really new, im selling my strat, mixed with bday money, mixed with the money from hopefully selling my pod soon, to afford it.

i will have around 650 total. the guitar will have to be under 700 on something like dallas.craigslist.org

i want this to be really my main guitar for the rest of my teen carreer whilst i dont have much money.

i plan on gigging with it in the future.

my future amp will be something like a jcm800, or a peavey classic or idk just a nice tube amp to save up for.

now for the genres. i plan on playing rock, some metal, and blues. when i say blues, i dont mean like john mayer srv strat stuff. i mean like blues rock in the style of joe perry, slash, etc. and for rock ill play all kinds of classic and more modern. i dont play too much pre written metal. like metal by other bands. but my own stuff is kinda a mix between classic rock with some metal elements. my favorite "metal" band would be avenged sevenfold. i really love synys tone.

guitarist tones im after: syn for metal, and like slash, maybe lighter crunch like perry. but kinda my own tone in the realm of 80s metal, with a boost or pedal for more modern metal.

some guitars i've looked at would be a schecter hellraiser c1 fr if i decide on going fr route, or for non fr maybe like a c1 classic or a les paul studio

any other suggestions. i need a good quality for the price. i WILL buy used on ebay or clist.

solid rock and metal, with decent cleans.

any suggestions?

oh and definately humbuckers and something like mahogany. my strat i dont like that much

what about epi les paul standards? maybe use the extra cash for some better pickups?

how do these compare to the gibson studio lp


Last edited by thesteve; 01-07-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
You want a Marshall and you want Slash and Joe Perry tone... hmm... is there any choice but a Les Paul!?

The Epiphone's are great guitars. I've played some I liked better than Gibsons. Gibson cashes in on it's name way too much. It's guitars are stupidly overpriced IMO. Get an Epiphone and a good set of pickups and you're good to go
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
You want a Marshall and you want Slash and Joe Perry tone... hmm... is there any choice but a Les Paul!?

The Epiphone's are great guitars. I've played some I liked better than Gibsons. Gibson cashes in on it's name way too much. It's guitars are stupidly overpriced IMO. Get an Epiphone and a good set of pickups and you're good to go
haha but should i get maybe a schecter for the slightly metal side in me?

and what would you recommend out of these two.

a epi standard lp for around 400 and two pickups with the extra 250 i would have, or a studio lp?
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I play a Gibson LP Studio. You can find a mid-90s model for pretty cheap used these days. I'd check for one of those first.
__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
why 90s vs newer?
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Semper ubi sub ubi!
 
1/2-Fast Player's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,703
I've been delighted with my Epi Les Paul Standard, and I haven't even done a pup swap. That doesn't mean one will be right for you, though.

Get to the shops and play some guitars. You can't decide from the internet; you need to play some axes and let your fingers and ears decide.
__________________
I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
why 90s vs newer?
I think he's just saying that the 90s models tend to be a bit cheaper on the used market because of their age.

I will say that the only LP that has spoken to me was one of the newer LP Vintage Mahogany (now called the LP Studio Faded). I see them used for >$700 all of the time.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
haha but should i get maybe a schecter for the slightly metal side in me?

and what would you recommend out of these two.

a epi standard lp for around 400 and two pickups with the extra 250 i would have, or a studio lp?
I would go with a used studio LP.

I reccomend if you plan on upgrading pickups, (and I would in an LP studio anyway) the Bill Lawrence 500xl and 500r. Excellent, crazy versatile pickups that will do metal to jazz easily.

My Schecter has been pretty horrific reliability wise.

I also own like 8 gibsons or so currently I think.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I would go with a used studio LP.

I reccomend if you plan on upgrading pickups, (and I would in an LP studio anyway) the Bill Lawrence 500xl and 500r. Excellent, crazy versatile pickups that will do metal to jazz easily.

My Schecter has been pretty horrific reliability wise.

I also own like 8 gibsons or so currently I think.
ok... one thing im not sure about is are the studios chambered? is there a non chambered studio?
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
ok... one thing im not sure about is are the studios chambered? is there a non chambered studio?
Mine sure isn't, and to be honest, I like chambering.

Seriously, I wish it was. Lighter and a bit woodier feel to chambered guitars. A little extra resonance and volume maybe.

BTW, Get the wilde Bill Lawrence 500xl, and 500r, not the Bill Lawrence USA if you get them. Separate companies, and the Wilde ones are from the man. They also are ridiculously cheap for an aftermarket humbucker.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Mine sure isn't, and to be honest, I like chambering.

Seriously, I wish it was. Lighter and a bit woodier feel to chambered guitars. A little extra resonance and volume maybe.

BTW, Get the wilde Bill Lawrence 500xl, and 500r, not the Bill Lawrence USA if you get them. Separate companies, and the Wilde ones are from the man. They also are ridiculously cheap for an aftermarket humbucker.
it seems like chambered would lose sustain or am i wrong?
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
it seems like chambered would lose sustain or am i wrong?
From what I've read, there's very little, if any, sonic difference between chambered and non-chambered.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
it seems like chambered would lose sustain or am i wrong?
I certainly don't think so.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
From what I've read, there's very little, if any, sonic difference between chambered and non-chambered.
yeah i just googled it. apparently theres not much difference.

so yall think studio vs epi standard with lawrence pickups?
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
yeah i just googled it. apparently theres not much difference.

so yall think studio vs epi standard with lawrence pickups?
I'd get the studio and then put the BL pickups in it...
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2