Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
Since so many of the people you mention are known for their tones using a LP I'm not surprised you're digging it more than the schecter

As for the Night Train. Awesome amp at a great price! It's really amazing that you're able to get tone like that at such low prices these days. I had one for a short time and I really liked it alot.
the only thing it seems to lack is versatility. no changing between clean and dirty live, well i guess you could just lower guitar volume to clean up a little.

but live not much versatility. one trick pony, that seemed to do that one trick really well

Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #92
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
the only thing it seems to lack is versatility. no changing between clean and dirty live, well i guess you could just lower guitar volume to clean up a little.

but live not much versatility. one trick pony, that seemed to do that one trick really well
Huh? I've been playing a Les Paul since 1982 and I'd hardly call it a "one trick pony".
In fact, my new BFG Les Paul does a LOT of tricks!

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Huh? I've been playing a Les Paul since 1982 and I'd hardly call it a "one trick pony".
In fact, my new BFG Les Paul does a LOT of tricks!
sorry dude i was talking about the vox. no lps have LOTS of versatilty
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #94

Quote:
sorry dude i was talking about the vox. no lps have LOTS of versatilty
Sorry...I got on my Gibson Les Paul soapbox again...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #95

Quote:
Sorry...I got on my Gibson Les Paul soapbox again...
ha its cool. hey whats a bfg lp?
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #96
Okagesama de genki desu

Quote:

There's tons of versatility, it's just a matter of learning how to use it right. Its a totally different approach to playing. You set the amp so it's right on the verge of breakup with you're playing normaly. Then, you pick softer and back off your volume slightly to clean it up or dig in harder to get more dirt. You can also hit it with a compressor or boost pedal for more distortion. I find that this type of setup actually gives you way more versatility than simply channel switching because you can control so many different subtle shades of dirt inbetween just by how you play the guitar. It takes a bit to learn to play this way, but it's very rewarding.
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
There's tons of versatility, it's just a matter of learning how to use it right. Its a totally different approach to playing. You set the amp so it's right on the verge of breakup with you're playing normaly. Then, you pick softer and back off your volume slightly to clean it up or dig in harder to get more dirt. You can also hit it with a compressor or boost pedal for more distortion. I find that this type of setup actually gives you way more versatility than simply channel switching because you can control so many different subtle shades of dirt inbetween just by how you play the guitar. It takes a bit to learn to play this way, but it's very rewarding.
well the time i had with it i didnt stay much on the bright switch mode. i kinda just stayed on the thick and it seemed to get the perfect tone mixed with the lp. next time i go ill mess around with bright and getting on verge of breakup
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #98

Quote:
LP Studio Fadeds start at $700 around here.
Regular Studios can be had for around $900 to $1200.
Compared to an $800+ Schecter, they are hardly "overpriced".
Well, where I am LP studio's are $1500. And I never said they're overpriced, I said if they weren't way better than a guitar that's almost half their price, then that would make them overpriced.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #99

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
The $800 ones are the "Faded" series. They lack the gloss finish and more importantly the maple top of the usual Studio models. They also have different pickups. According to MF and GC, they also come with a bag instead of a hard case.

Not sure why the Faded series is being marketed as a "LP Studio" model these days. They're pretty darn different guitars.
The Les Paul Studio Faded models were originally a GC/MF exclusive model called the Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. Apparently they were popular enough that Gibson decided to integrate them into the "Studio" series as the "Studio Faded". Previously the only "Faded" models were the LP Special Faded and the LP Standard Faded. The LP Special Faded was a slab body (a la LP Junior models) and the LP Standard Faded (IIRC) was basically a LP Standard with a matte finish.

I do agree with what you're saying about them being different, which I'll elaborate on below.
Quote:
ok thanks guys for the help. so there is a difference in pickups? becuase i thought i heard a difference, but they had the same name so i thought my ears were tricking me. I liked the sound of the non faded higher priced studio
There may be a couple sources for the tonal difference.

First, the LP Studio has a mahogany body with a maple top. The Studio Faded is a solid mahogany body.

Second, the two models do have different pickups. The Studio line features Gibson's 490R and 498T pickups. The Studio Faded has Burstbucker Pro pickups in the neck and bridge positions.

Those two differences are what set the LP Studio and Studio Faded apart (aside from available finishes). That being said, I have heard some claim that the Studio models up until recently Were solid mahogany (no maple top). I don't know if this is true, and honestly I have my doubts about it. Still, if it were true, it may make sense that these new Faded models hearken back to the early days of the LP Studio series.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #100
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
That being said, I have heard some claim that the Studio models up until recently Were solid mahogany (no maple top). I don't know if this is true, and honestly I have my doubts about it.
Like since when? My mid 90s LP Studio is definitely maple-topped.

I think the current model has been produced since '85.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #101

Quote:
ha its cool. hey whats a bfg lp?
It's this:
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gold Top Made in USA w/Hard Case - eBay (item 350274789702 end time Feb-02-10 10:32:39 PST)

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #102

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Like since when? My mid 90s LP Studio is definitely maple-topped.

I think the current model has been produced since '85.
I have no idea. A couple friends of mine (married) insist the LP Studio they have doesn't have a maple top. I keep telling them that it should and that it's just not a figured top since they have a solid (ebony) finish.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #103
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I have no idea. A couple friends of mine (married) insist the LP Studio they have doesn't have a maple top. I keep telling them that it should and that it's just not a figured top since they have a solid (ebony) finish.
Mine, a 95 does not. I can see mahogany through where the nitro is worn off the top. Also an ebony colored one...

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #104
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Mine, a 95 does not. I can see mahogany through where the nitro is worn off the top. Also an ebony colored one...
Interesting. I see maple under my finish for sure. I think my serial puts my guitar at '97.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #105

Just got my Epi LP std repaired from a broken neck and had a kill switch mini toggle installed at the same time. This guitar has lived the blues and is a road warrior in wine red worthy of the kill switch modN a great 10 dollar mod.

Going high quality and new u can get a guitarfetish.com Xavier XV-500 solid mahogany body set neck LP beautiful copy with hot crunchy GFS PAT full humbuckers w amazing tone for 208 new.

For 350 approx. U can get an awesome Fender Super Champ XD
All tube amp w digital modeling chip that models 11 Fender classic amps and 11 famos amps like a couple marshalls, mesa, VOx and other ultra high gain amps very well at 15 tube watts and gigable with moderately loud drummer and has a good ten inch speaker replaceable for 65 with an awesome LOUD Eminence Ragin' Cajun super good tested and approved speaker.

Just some ideas.

All gibson LPs except the custom shop ones have weight relieveved drilled body borings or complete internal extensive chambering instead of solid mahogany mapke capped bodies since 1996, unrevealed to the public until not long ago a few guys x-rayed their LPs and were astounded by what they saw. Gibson now reveals the truth.

rerecently revealed the

Last edited by thesteve; 01-12-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote