Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #76
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
but i wont be feeling the pain and struggles and changing strings and stuff with the one at gc. you know what i mean? i'll just mess with one thats already setup and stuff
yeah, till your first string change a month or two in, and from then on out... youll be feeling it.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #77
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
If you're comfortable answering, what part of the country do you live in? If you're in the San Diego area, I'd love to have a crack at setting your guitar up.
He's in Texas, Steve.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #78

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
He's in Texas, Steve.
Apparently everything is bigger is Texas, including tuning problems.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #79

Quote:
If you're comfortable answering, what part of the country do you live in? If you're in the San Diego area, I'd love to have a crack at setting your guitar up.
down in arlington texas haha. nowhere near san diego
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #80

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
down in arlington texas haha. nowhere near san diego
Dag...well I will be in the DFW (Plano?) in May for a few days. I'm coming out for a wedding though, so I don't know how much time I'll have.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #81

Quote:
Dag...well I will be in the DFW (Plano?) in May for a few days. I'm coming out for a wedding though, so I don't know how much time I'll have.
ha well im hoping to have it sold by then but if i dont ill let ya know haha
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #82

well i went up to gc today and played for awhile. i quickly played a hellraiser non fr, and a syn custom to feel fr. then i played a lp studio. absolutely killed the two schecters. it just felt so good. i played a couple of different studios and loved them

but question, why are some studios $1300, while some are like $800?

is there a difference in pickups or something?

and last thing, has anyone played a vox nighttrain? i played through one alot and it was SAWEET
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #83
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
The $800 ones are the "Faded" series. They lack the gloss finish and more importantly the maple top of the usual Studio models. They also have different pickups. According to MF and GC, they also come with a bag instead of a hard case.

Not sure why the Faded series is being marketed as a "LP Studio" model these days. They're pretty darn different guitars.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #84
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
well i went up to gc today and played for awhile. i quickly played a hellraiser non fr, and a syn custom to feel fr. then i played a lp studio. absolutely killed the two schecters. it just felt so good. i played a couple of different studios and loved them

but question, why are some studios $1300, while some are like $800?

is there a difference in pickups or something?

and last thing, has anyone played a vox nighttrain? i played through one alot and it was SAWEET
The current Studio has two basic finish flavors: worn and not worn...or Faded and not Faded. They can't seem to make up their mind on what to call them...
Worn (or Les Paul Studio Faded) comes in brown and cherry and cost around $800. It features a thin nitrocelulose lacquer finish and the color choices are...limited. No maple top, too. They do feature Burstbucker Pro pickups.

Not worn (or just plain Les Paul Studio) features all of the pretty colors and it's a thicker nitro lacquer finish. They cost more because they require more materials and labor to finish. They feature 490R and 498T pickups.

There is also a Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash. It's available in natural ('cause Swamp Ash is oh-so pretty) and features the same 490/498 p/us of the Studio.

Then there is the Les Paul Studio Raw Power. It's very different.
See:
Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Les Paul Studio Guitars, Robot Guitar Prices and Photos, Gibson Electric Guitar News and Wiki

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
The current Studio has two basic finish flavors: worn and not worn...or Faded and not Faded. They can't seem to make up their mind on what to call them...
Worn (or Les Paul Studio Faded) comes in brown and cherry and cost around $800. It features a thin nitrocelulose lacquer finish and the color choices are...limited. No maple top, too. They do feature Burstbucker Pro pickups.

Not worn (or just plain Les Paul Studio) features all of the pretty colors and it's a thicker nitro lacquer finish. They cost more because they require more materials and labor to finish. They feature 490R and 498T pickups.

There is also a Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash. It's available in natural ('cause Swamp Ash is oh-so pretty) and features the same 490/498 p/us of the Studio.

Then there is the Les Paul Studio Raw Power. It's very different.
See:
Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Les Paul Studio Guitars, Robot Guitar Prices and Photos, Gibson Electric Guitar News and Wiki
ok thanks guys for the help. so there is a difference in pickups? becuase i thought i heard a difference, but they had the same name so i thought my ears were tricking me. I liked the sound of the non faded higher priced studio

and anything on the night train? i've been looking up reviews, but this thing seems like the perfect amp for my classic rock slash tone i want

sure it fails at metal, but the more i think about it, i dont play too much metal. i just listen to it alot. i dont actually like metal tones that much

much bigger fan of the smooth sweet sound of a les paul neck pickup with the tone rolled off into a cranked up tube amp

the night train seemed to get this sound quiet nicely. on the thick channel, even though you have no eq control (because on thick channel it bypasses eq), with the gain a little over half, and the volume waay up, it sounded b-e-a-utiful
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #86

While you're looking at the Night Train check out Bugera's new amp line. I've played the 22w combo before, the tone was awesome! For the price it'd be hard to beat. Vox might be better off in the long run though.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #87

I don't think it's really fair to compare the Schecters and the Gibsons imo. My Schecter C-1 Hellraiser was $800 while a Gibson LP is about $1500 where I am. That's like double the price so if it didn't kill the Schecter in tone that would mean it's overpriced. To me an LP of comparable price to the Schecter (like Epiphone) is about the same, though I personally prefer the Schecter.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
I don't think it's really fair to compare the Schecters and the Gibsons imo. My Schecter C-1 Hellraiser was $800 while a Gibson LP is about $1500 where I am. That's like double the price so if it didn't kill the Schecter in tone that would mean it's overpriced. To me an LP of comparable price to the Schecter (like Epiphone) is about the same, though I personally prefer the Schecter.
well i also played some higher end epi lps and thought they killed the hellraiser in tone. maybe its just feel though. i like that thick juicy feel of the lps
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #89
Okagesama de genki desu

Since so many of the people you mention are known for their tones using a LP I'm not surprised you're digging it more than the schecter

As for the Night Train. Awesome amp at a great price! It's really amazing that you're able to get tone like that at such low prices these days. I had one for a short time and I really liked it alot.
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #90
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
LP Studio Fadeds start at $700 around here.
Regular Studios can be had for around $900 to $1200.
Compared to an $800+ Schecter, they are hardly "overpriced".

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote