Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #61
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I have a Fender American Strat and Gibson LP Studio, and gig regularly with both. Tuning stability is something I have never, ever been concerned about with either of them.

__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #62
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
Fenders are lame. Buy an ESP.


mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #63
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
I have a Fender American Strat and Gibson LP Studio, and gig regularly with both. Tuning stability is something I have never, ever been concerned about with either of them.
well mine sucks. and when i played at church live i would borrow my friends boss tu-2 and i would literally have to tune in the middle of songs whenever i got a chance and wasnt playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Fenders are lame. Buy an ESP.


or gibson lol

if i was going for les paul i would probably go with the lp studio

but wait, are gibson lp studios better than esp ec-1000 ones?
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #64
Moderator
 
nbfan's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Star Destroyer Chimeara
Posts: 4,957
On paper, yes. Made in USA, better wood, better hardware, yadayadayada. ESP's are lighter though, and a lot of pros swear by them. It's best to try em side by side.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
The key to great tone is really found in the kind of hand soap that you use.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #65
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Honestly, and I know you already said that you took it to a guitar tech, but it sounds like your Strat has a bad setup. The two Strats I've owned have been rock solid in terms of staying in tune. The Strat I currently own is so solid that, to be honest, sometimes it freaks me out a little.

My point being that any guitar can have tuning issues if it's set up in a way that makes it hard to keep in tune. If your Strat's bridge is floating and you're doing a lot of string bends or using a capo a ton, then you're probably pulling it out of tune because of your technique, not because of the guitar.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #66
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Honestly, and I know you already said that you took it to a guitar tech, but it sounds like your Strat has a bad setup. The two Strats I've owned have been rock solid in terms of staying in tune. The Strat I currently own is so solid that, to be honest, sometimes it freaks me out a little.

My point being that any guitar can have tuning issues if it's set up in a way that makes it hard to keep in tune. If your Strat's bridge is floating and you're doing a lot of string bends or using a capo a ton, then you're probably pulling it out of tune because of your technique, not because of the guitar.
i had mine setup by the same guy. The guy was good, did all the standard stuff, charged me a fortune, you know the whole chibang. my guitar has baffled everyone there with its tuning failures haha
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #67
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
well mine sucks. and when i played at church live i would borrow my friends boss tu-2 and i would literally have to tune in the middle of songs whenever i got a chance and wasnt playing
I have a total pile-of-crap Squier Bullet that has one of the worst back-bowed necks I've ever seen on a guitar.
I strung it with 11s and use it as my hanging-on-the-wall office guitar.
The temp inside the office goes as low as 50 degress and as high as the '80s when the heat is on.
It stays in tune just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post

but wait, are gibson lp studios better than esp ec-1000 ones?
"Better" is subjective. There are a lot of varieties of Les Paul Studios; Studio, Faded, Lite, BFG electronics, Studio Plus Top and more and each one is going to be a bit unique.
The LTD EC-1000 comes in 2 basic flavors: 1 w/ Duncans and 1 w/ active EMGs.
Either would be a decent guitar and the EC might even have the edge off the shelf since ESP has a stellar track record of setting up their guitars prior to shipping.
Still, which one is "better" comes down to which one does what you want it to do and looks like you want it to look.

That said, if I were looking at a new LTD EC-1000, I'd also be looking at a used ESP Eclipse; the latter probably being a "better" guitar.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #68
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
I have a total pile-of-crap Squier Bullet that has one of the worst back-bowed necks I've ever seen on a guitar.
I strung it with 11s and use it as my hanging-on-the-wall office guitar.
The temp inside the office goes as low as 50 degress and as high as the '80s when the heat is on.
It stays in tune just fine.



"Better" is subjective. There are a lot of varieties of Les Paul Studios; Studio, Faded, Lite, BFG electronics, Studio Plus Top and more and each one is going to be a bit unique.
The LTD EC-1000 comes in 2 basic flavors: 1 w/ Duncans and 1 w/ active EMGs.
Either would be a decent guitar and the EC might even have the edge off the shelf since ESP has a stellar track record of setting up their guitars prior to shipping.
Still, which one is "better" comes down to which one does what you want it to do and looks like you want it to look.

That said, if I were looking at a new LTD EC-1000, I'd also be looking at a used ESP Eclipse; the latter probably being a "better" guitar.
which one between the studio and the ec duncan would be better for my needs?
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #69
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
which one between the studio and the ec duncan would be better for my needs?
The answer is whichever one you prefer.
__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #70
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
The answer is whichever one you prefer.
my local gc dont have no esps. also, i never see them on my clist. i see studios all the time, and i've played studios at gc before. ill probably end up with that

but somewhere deep inside me keeps begging for a floyd rose guitar haha. i cant help it
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #71
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
which one between the studio and the ec duncan would be better for my needs?
I have no idea.

As far as your desire for a FR guitar, I'd spend a LOT of time with a few before you spend the $$$ on one.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #72
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
I have no idea.

As far as your desire for a FR guitar, I'd spend a LOT of time with a few before you spend the $$$ on one.
but i wont be feeling the pain and struggles and changing strings and stuff with the one at gc. you know what i mean? i'll just mess with one thats already setup and stuff
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #73
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
If you're seriously debating between an ESP and a Gibson, do yourself a favor and check out Edwards. I know I mentioned them before, but let me say this.

Edwards is ESP. In fact, Edwards is made in Japan, when the expensive non-LTD brand ESP's are made. ESP doesn't import them here, due to a lawsuit by Gibson. Hint: Gibson sued them for a reason......

Take a look.....

EDWARDS BY ESP E-LP-98LTS CHS LES PAUL GUITAR WITH CASE - eBay (item 260534259098 end time Jan-09-10 21:12:22 PST)


Buy that, or I might have to.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #74
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
Here's a simple way to tell if you should buy a guitar with a floyd. Do you own a second floyd equipped guitar to take everywhere with you?
Because you will always need a second one with you at all times if you're using a floyd. If you break a string you're dead in the water and it takes too long to change them to do inbetween songs at a gig so you'll need a second guitar to use until you have a break.
If you don't have a backup, don't give yourself the stress and headache of a floyd.

And on a side note, my MIM strat has zero tuning problems. I can tune it at the top of a set and not have to touch it again through the whole set (which is about 10-12 songs)
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #75
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
i had mine setup by the same guy. The guy was good, did all the standard stuff, charged me a fortune, you know the whole chibang. my guitar has baffled everyone there with its tuning failures haha
If you're comfortable answering, what part of the country do you live in? If you're in the San Diego area, I'd love to have a crack at setting your guitar up.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2