Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I'd get the studio and then put the BL pickups in it...
i dont have the money for that...

Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
i dont have the money for that...
A BL 500xl, (which is the bridge pickup, which is the weak point of the studio IMO) is around $45 new. I got a couple on ebay for $25.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
Moderator
 
nbfan's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Star Destroyer Chimeara
Posts: 4,957
I know I'm not supposed to recommend new guitars around here, but I recently tried an Epiphone LP Classic Antique, with the open humbuckers and gold hardware. Sick guitar, no joke. I used a Vox modeling amp and found it to be incredibly versatile. Aero and GnR should come easily- Synyster? Not sure, but unless you need 24 frets then I don't see big a problem. I'll bet it would sound wicked with an 800. It's a much more old school sounding guitar though, and if you want a more modern sound then maybe it's not your cup o tea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
The key to great tone is really found in the kind of hand soap that you use.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
My friend, you need to take a good hard look at the EC-401VF from ESP.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
but also, i kinda really want a fr...... any fr guitars with nice thick necks, WITHOUT active pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
My friend, you need to take a good hard look at the EC-401VF from ESP.
you got me onto the idea of esp. what about like an ltd deluxe ec-1000 one?

Last edited by thesteve; 01-07-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #21
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
When I was younger I had a thing for flashy guitars. Real metal looking guitars and things like heavy flames and abalone and such (I played Dean ML's for a long time). I had an older guitar player friend who always told me to buy the classics; that one day I would be glad I did. I didn't really understand at the time and ended up buying lots of guitars I thought were cool, only to grow out of them, or grow tired of them and ditch them. Then I started buying more classic equipment and believe it or not, it stuck around!

There's a reason guitars like Les Pauls are timeless classics that everyone uses. You may not understand this now, but some day down the road you will.
Don't waste your time with the Schecters. Get yourself a Les Paul. Years from now, you will be glad you did.

The LP studio's are great. The Epi's are great too. I would take either one any day of the week over 100 Schecters.

New pup's are good, but the best upgrade you can do to an Epi LP is just getting a good luthier who knows what he's doing to go over it for you and set everything up properly.
Also, I don't think any of the LP studio's are chambered. There aren't too many chambered LP models around really. And like others have said, with that thick maple top you won't really notice too much difference in a LP other than a bit less weight.
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Just FYI guys, Gibson's website claims the newest Studios are chambered...of course it wouldn't be the first time they put something wrong on their website.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #23
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
Interesting... It seems I could be wrong!
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #24
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
you got me onto the idea of esp. what about like an ltd deluxe ec-1000 one?
Those are nice guitars. You'll probably have the Gibson crowd turn up their noses at you a bit for playing an LTD, but oh well. I've played plenty of Gibson products. They're good too. They do make an EC-1000 with a Floyd, if memory serves.... but I think it only comes with the EMG's. For passives, I don't think you'll get an FR.

If you want something that is more like a traditional Les Paul, rather than the US-market ESP's, I highly recommend you look into the Edwards brand. It's ESP's Japanese brand, that Gibson sued them over. You can find them on ebay. If I ever get an LP, it will likely be one of those. I can't afford that 'Gibson' thing on the headstock.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #25
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Y'all know that I'm a Gibson guy, but I also have never paid close to retail price for one, so I don't see them as over-priced. I see people with a lack of negotiating skills and no opportunities for good deals...

That said, I've played my share of LTD EC-256, 400, 401 and 1000 guitars and I don't think a buyer could go wrong with any of them as a suitable LP alternative.
Yes, if a Les Paul is what you want then nothing else will do and a used Studio may be the thing for you, but if you're open to options, try the LTD EC axes and see what you think.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #26
Registered User
 
pooleman0's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lisbon CT
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Y'all know that I'm a Gibson guy, but I also have never paid close to retail price for one, so I don't see them as over-priced. I see people with a lack of negotiating skills and no opportunities for good deals...

That said, I've played my share of LTD EC-256, 400, 401 and 1000 guitars and I don't think a buyer could go wrong with any of them as a suitable LP alternative.
Yes, if a Les Paul is what you want then nothing else will do and a used Studio may be the thing for you, but if you're open to options, try the LTD EC axes and see what you think.
I agree. Although I am not a Gibson guy (Fender all day), you have to negotiate. I have never paid full price for a guitar. The sticker price is a joke. And there is nothing wrong with purchasing a used instrument that was well cared for. Just go over it thoroughly. I have gone as far as making the guys at guitar center take strings of an instrument and remove the pickguard so I can look at all the componants and solder points of an instrument before I buy. Guitar Center used to be great for negotiating prices. But I have noticed in the last few yeas that they are less willing now. So I go to the local stores to buy my stuff. I'll only go to Guitar Center if I get a GC gift card for Christmas or birthday.

The key to negotiating is to not get attached to any one instrument. You have to be willing to walk away. if they don't meet your price.

On a side not I like a lot of the Schecter line. I bought a five string bass for my bass player in 2005 and it always sounds sweet and the playability is just so smooth. Sometimes I wish I never gave it to him and just kept it. Especially since he plays his Fernandes Jazz Bass copy. It's a Frankenstein bass made from dozens of other parts. And it just sounds pretty average to me, but he loves it. Sigh...

Last edited by pooleman0; 01-08-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: editing
pooleman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #27
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
When I was younger I had a thing for flashy guitars. Real metal looking guitars and things like heavy flames and abalone and such (I played Dean ML's for a long time). I had an older guitar player friend who always told me to buy the classics; that one day I would be glad I did. I didn't really understand at the time and ended up buying lots of guitars I thought were cool, only to grow out of them, or grow tired of them and ditch them. Then I started buying more classic equipment and believe it or not, it stuck around!

There's a reason guitars like Les Pauls are timeless classics that everyone uses. You may not understand this now, but some day down the road you will.
Don't waste your time with the Schecters. Get yourself a Les Paul. Years from now, you will be glad you did.

The LP studio's are great. The Epi's are great too. I would take either one any day of the week over 100 Schecters.

New pup's are good, but the best upgrade you can do to an Epi LP is just getting a good luthier who knows what he's doing to go over it for you and set everything up properly.
Also, I don't think any of the LP studio's are chambered. There aren't too many chambered LP models around really. And like others have said, with that thick maple top you won't really notice too much difference in a LP other than a bit less weight.
Uh who said im in to big flashy guitars? Even if i went with a hellraiser, i would probably get just white or black.

well i guess soon i need to make a trip to gc to try stuff out. Of course i would never buy there, but its great for testing stuff
Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #28
not so bright
 
tenwatt's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Ekron, KY
Posts: 3,206
Gibson Studio vs. Epi Paul's...six in one, a half dozen in the other....IMO.

I would take either one over any Schecter/ESP/LTD/whateva model.
__________________
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #29
is straight, just merry
 
Skifree0813's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Heart of the High Country
Posts: 424
I'm going against the grain; I've actually been really, really happy with my Schecter. I replaced the pickups because the stock ones were kinda crappy, but other than that I haven't had any trouble for 4 or 5 years now.
__________________
If the question concerns me, the answer is either 12, Fish!, or anatomically correct.
Skifree0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #30
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
Uh who said im in to big flashy guitars?
No one. I said I was into big flashy guitars...


Just a caveat; don't try negotiating with Guitar Center. Their employees aren't allowed to do it anymore and can get fired for it... unless you know someone
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2