Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I'd get the studio and then put the BL pickups in it...
i dont have the money for that...

Chups01098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chups01098 View Post
i dont have the money for that...
A BL 500xl, (which is the bridge pickup, which is the weak point of the studio IMO) is around $45 new. I got a couple on ebay for $25.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #18

I know I'm not supposed to recommend new guitars around here, but I recently tried an Epiphone LP Classic Antique, with the open humbuckers and gold hardware. Sick guitar, no joke. I used a Vox modeling amp and found it to be incredibly versatile. Aero and GnR should come easily- Synyster? Not sure, but unless you need 24 frets then I don't see big a problem. I'll bet it would sound wicked with an 800. It's a much more old school sounding guitar though, and if you want a more modern sound then maybe it's not your cup o tea.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
recovering user

My friend, you need to take a good hard look at the EC-401VF from ESP.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #20

but also, i kinda really want a fr...... any fr guitars with nice thick necks, WITHOUT active pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
My friend, you need to take a good hard look at the EC-401VF from ESP.
you got me onto the idea of esp. what about like an ltd deluxe ec-1000 one?

Last edited by thesteve; 01-07-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #21
Okagesama de genki desu

When I was younger I had a thing for flashy guitars. Real metal looking guitars and things like heavy flames and abalone and such (I played Dean ML's for a long time). I had an older guitar player friend who always told me to buy the classics; that one day I would be glad I did. I didn't really understand at the time and ended up buying lots of guitars I thought were cool, only to grow out of them, or grow tired of them and ditch them. Then I started buying more classic equipment and believe it or not, it stuck around!

There's a reason guitars like Les Pauls are timeless classics that everyone uses. You may not understand this now, but some day down the road you will.
Don't waste your time with the Schecters. Get yourself a Les Paul. Years from now, you will be glad you did.

The LP studio's are great. The Epi's are great too. I would take either one any day of the week over 100 Schecters.

New pup's are good, but the best upgrade you can do to an Epi LP is just getting a good luthier who knows what he's doing to go over it for you and set everything up properly.
Also, I don't think any of the LP studio's are chambered. There aren't too many chambered LP models around really. And like others have said, with that thick maple top you won't really notice too much difference in a LP other than a bit less weight.
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Just FYI guys, Gibson's website claims the newest Studios are chambered...of course it wouldn't be the first time they put something wrong on their website.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #23
Okagesama de genki desu

Interesting... It seems I could be wrong!
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #24
recovering user

Quote:
you got me onto the idea of esp. what about like an ltd deluxe ec-1000 one?
Those are nice guitars. You'll probably have the Gibson crowd turn up their noses at you a bit for playing an LTD, but oh well. I've played plenty of Gibson products. They're good too. They do make an EC-1000 with a Floyd, if memory serves.... but I think it only comes with the EMG's. For passives, I don't think you'll get an FR.

If you want something that is more like a traditional Les Paul, rather than the US-market ESP's, I highly recommend you look into the Edwards brand. It's ESP's Japanese brand, that Gibson sued them over. You can find them on ebay. If I ever get an LP, it will likely be one of those. I can't afford that 'Gibson' thing on the headstock.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #25
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Y'all know that I'm a Gibson guy, but I also have never paid close to retail price for one, so I don't see them as over-priced. I see people with a lack of negotiating skills and no opportunities for good deals...

That said, I've played my share of LTD EC-256, 400, 401 and 1000 guitars and I don't think a buyer could go wrong with any of them as a suitable LP alternative.
Yes, if a Les Paul is what you want then nothing else will do and a used Studio may be the thing for you, but if you're open to options, try the LTD EC axes and see what you think.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Y'all know that I'm a Gibson guy, but I also have never paid close to retail price for one, so I don't see them as over-priced. I see people with a lack of negotiating skills and no opportunities for good deals...

That said, I've played my share of LTD EC-256, 400, 401 and 1000 guitars and I don't think a buyer could go wrong with any of them as a suitable LP alternative.
Yes, if a Les Paul is what you want then nothing else will do and a used Studio may be the thing for you, but if you're open to options, try the LTD EC axes and see what you think.
I agree. Although I am not a Gibson guy (Fender all day), you have to negotiate. I have never paid full price for a guitar. The sticker price is a joke. And there is nothing wrong with purchasing a used instrument that was well cared for. Just go over it thoroughly. I have gone as far as making the guys at guitar center take strings of an instrument and remove the pickguard so I can look at all the componants and solder points of an instrument before I buy. Guitar Center used to be great for negotiating prices. But I have noticed in the last few yeas that they are less willing now. So I go to the local stores to buy my stuff. I'll only go to Guitar Center if I get a GC gift card for Christmas or birthday.

The key to negotiating is to not get attached to any one instrument. You have to be willing to walk away. if they don't meet your price.

On a side not I like a lot of the Schecter line. I bought a five string bass for my bass player in 2005 and it always sounds sweet and the playability is just so smooth. Sometimes I wish I never gave it to him and just kept it. Especially since he plays his Fernandes Jazz Bass copy. It's a Frankenstein bass made from dozens of other parts. And it just sounds pretty average to me, but he loves it. Sigh...

Last edited by pooleman0; 01-08-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: editing
pooleman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
When I was younger I had a thing for flashy guitars. Real metal looking guitars and things like heavy flames and abalone and such (I played Dean ML's for a long time). I had an older guitar player friend who always told me to buy the classics; that one day I would be glad I did. I didn't really understand at the time and ended up buying lots of guitars I thought were cool, only to grow out of them, or grow tired of them and ditch them. Then I started buying more classic equipment and believe it or not, it stuck around!

There's a reason guitars like Les Pauls are timeless classics that everyone uses. You may not understand this now, but some day down the road you will.
Don't waste your time with the Schecters. Get yourself a Les Paul. Years from now, you will be glad you did.

The LP studio's are great. The Epi's are great too. I would take either one any day of the week over 100 Schecters.

New pup's are good, but the best upgrade you can do to an Epi LP is just getting a good luthier who knows what he's doing to go over it for you and set everything up properly.
Also, I don't think any of the LP studio's are chambered. There aren't too many chambered LP models around really. And like others have said, with that thick maple top you won't really notice too much difference in a LP other than a bit less weight.
Uh who said im in to big flashy guitars? Even if i went with a hellraiser, i would probably get just white or black.

well i guess soon i need to make a trip to gc to try stuff out. Of course i would never buy there, but its great for testing stuff
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #28
not so bright

Gibson Studio vs. Epi Paul's...six in one, a half dozen in the other....IMO.

I would take either one over any Schecter/ESP/LTD/whateva model.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #29
is straight, just merry

I'm going against the grain; I've actually been really, really happy with my Schecter. I replaced the pickups because the stock ones were kinda crappy, but other than that I haven't had any trouble for 4 or 5 years now.
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #30
Okagesama de genki desu

Quote:
Uh who said im in to big flashy guitars?
No one. I said I was into big flashy guitars...

Just a caveat; don't try negotiating with Guitar Center. Their employees aren't allowed to do it anymore and can get fired for it... unless you know someone