Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
singing drummer

drumming & leading worship?

Does anyone here know of an instance of a drummer being the main worship leader at a church? I'm trying to start a new praise band at my church. I play guitar & a bit of piano as well as drums, but there's a lot of guitar & piano players around & I'm the only drummer. Plus, I'm the most confident out front out of the people I have to choose from, & I can sing & drum just fine.

So I'm thinking of setting the drums up out front (small group & small church, so I'll probably play mostly with brushes or rods) & having the other musicians either along side me or only slightly behind. What do you think? Will it work?

Unread 11-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Okagesama de genki desu

I lead worship while drumming quite often. It usually works just fine. The key is if you are able to sing and play drums at the same time. If so, if you feel confident with your ability to do that well, then there shouldn't be a problem. Usually when I do it I try to use a small set and keep my cymbals low so everyone can see me.

One of the nice things about leading an ensemble from the drums is that it is very easy to lead phrases and show them the type of feel, style and rhythm you want the song to have; you can also easily show breaks and song endings.
Unread 11-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
singing drummer

Good points. Thanks for the feedback, metropolis4!