Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I can probably get practice pads free. Used, but I can probably get a couple at least.
I'm not a big fan of the ones with actual heads. The nice octagonal rubber ones are much better.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Okagesama de genki desu

As has been said, sticks a practice pad and a metronome are all you need equipment wise. Just like the guitar the most critical thing is to learn good technique. Learn to hold the stick right and learn the correct motion and mechanics of making a stroke. Everything else you do will depend on how well you've practiced that first step. I can try to write a description for you of how that looks if you think it will help, but it's easier to show someone first hand.

Syncopation for the Modern Drummer is a decent book. Steve Houghton's Studio and Big Band Drumming is excellent, I highly recommend it.

But, before you begin any of that learn technique. It doesn't seem like it would be so difficult to hit a pad with a stick, but there is a lot to drum technique. I majored in percussion in college and I have taught countless lessons and learning the initial technique of how to hold the stick and make a stroke is always the biggest challenge any of my students have faced. Once you get it down though the rest comes much easier.

I wouldn't get too tied down with rudiments. They're useful in some ways, but for what you are wanting to do they aren't critical. There are more important things to focus on. Once you get the basics of a stroke down practice just playing 8th notes. One bar with your right, one bar with your left switch back and forth. Do it with the metronome. Start very slow and really focus on your technique as you do it. Listen and make every stroke consistent.
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #18
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
I wouldn't get too tied down with rudiments. They're useful in some ways, but for what you are wanting to do they aren't critical. There are more important things to focus on.
I agree with this. I was teaching a kid that didn't give a rip about anything but just playing drumset. Didn't care about rudimental stuff, just wanted to play drumset. So we skipped rudiments and went straight to technique and different grooves and how to incorporate different things into his playing. He picked it up pretty well and now is a decent drumset player.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #19
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Playing rudiments is like practicing your scales and rote exercises on guitar.

Diving into grooves is like diving into playing licks.

Diving into grooves is great, but building your dexterity with exercises is always important. Balance is the key.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #20

Quote:
I wouldn't get too tied down with rudiments. They're useful in some ways, but for what you are wanting to do they aren't critical.
I would somewhat disagree with this, although rudiments aren't the most important part of set playing (good time keeping is!!), they are great for developing stick control, and dexterity. I also use them extensively in fills, and solos. I certainly don't think a beginner needs to learn all 40 all at once but starting with a few of the easy ones, and getting them down will certainly help. I would also say that practicing rudiments on a pad is much more interesting to a new drummer than playing 8th notes over and over again. I would also recommend George Stone's Stick Control Book.
Folk_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #21
Okagesama de genki desu

I'm not saying rudiments aren't a good thing to learn. But I've seen many students and other people trying to learn drums get frustrated with not progressing because they are stuck on getting their rudiments together.

Learning to play consistent 8th notes at different stick heights and then getting double stops down goes a long way in building that coordination, and its the first step which is what the OP was asking about. There's no point stressing out about playing flam a diddles and swiss triplets until you've got your basic motions down. It's like never playing a chord or lick on guitar until you've learned all your modes
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #22
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I'm not saying rudiments aren't a good thing to learn. But I've seen many students and other people trying to learn drums get frustrated with not progressing because they are stuck on getting their rudiments together.

Learning to play consistent 8th notes at different stick heights and then getting double stops down goes a long way in building that coordination, and its the first step which is what the OP was asking about. There's no point stressing out about playing flam a diddles and swiss triplets until you've got your basic motions down. It's like never playing a chord or lick on guitar until you've learned all your modes
Thank you, you get where I am. I think I will try snagging a practice pad and starting trying to do stuff and look into books.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
leafy greens!

I started by playing along with my Ipod. I play in church regularly now, and I don't think I'm worse for not having done rudiments. It really depends on your goal. If you just want to be able to play for fun or to play along with your favourite songs like me, then I would suggest that rudiments may not be as important. I will never be a great drummer, but I don't really care. All I want to be able to do is play in church from time to time and play Anberlin

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #24
Tired of being attacked

my main goal is to be able to record ideas in my head.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #25
leafy greens!

If you have the time, I would recommend learning the proper way. If you don't, I don't think you'll suffer too much just picking it up as you go along.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #26
You wanna see dry land?

Send a message via AIM to Insane Drummer
You start here.

40 Essential Rudiments

Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials
And I have been too proud to come in out of the rain
Insane Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #27
JT

To follow down metropolis4's path:

The guy who started me on drums just had me start with eighth notes on the hi-hat, and kick drum on the 1 and 3 beats, snare drum on the 2 and 4 beats. Then add in 8th/16th notes here and there on the kick and snare. The steady 8th notes are something you can practice without sticks. I tap my desk and feet a lot at work.

IMO, part of the value of rudiments is that they force you out of reflexive patterns that you fall into (and eventually expand your horizon of reflexive patterns). But when you're just starting, you don't have a whole lot of those anyway.
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #28
singing drummer

Tap your right foot for the BD. Hit the top of your right leg with your right hand for the HH. Hit the top of your left leg with your left hand for the SD. Pop in a CD & play along. Your drumming!