Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Newbie Drummer

Sound Percussion Pro 5-Piece Drum Set with Black Hardware and more Acoustic Drum Sets at GuitarCenter.com.

By the end of spring term next year I want to have a drum kit (or perhaps to start putting on together peacemeal now).

And going through the GC website, that one caught my eye. Its about as much as Im looking to spend on a new instrument right now, and I dont know enough about drums to know if thats a decent kit or not.

Also, I noticed that it said Cymbals and Hardware not included. About how much is an average price for Cymbals and their Stands? And how would I select cymbals to go with that kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Okagesama de genki desu

If you're looking new your options are pretty limited in that price range. It's sort of like saying you want to buy a new guitar amp and your budget is about $100.

Have you considered looking at used stuff? I often see decent kits like Tama Rockstars and Pearl Exports on Craigslist for around that price.

Cymbals really range in price. A starter set isn't a bad way to go. Zildjian, Sabien, Paiste and Meinl all offer decent ones. I just bought a Meinl starter set for a church around here and they aren't bad. I liked them a bit better than the Zildjian and Sabien offerings.
To start off with you're going to want hi-hats and either a crash/ride or a ride and a crash (or maybe just a crash). A lot of cymbal choice is going to depend on what styles of music you are playing.
Unread 11-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Im working on music in 3 different types of rock right now ("Folk Rock" Pop Hard Rock, and Metalcore). How would/should those types of music affect my choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Okagesama de genki desu

For a range like that I would go with a pretty standard medium cymbal set.

If you were exclusively playing heavier styles I would say go for a heavier hi-hat and crash and maybe a second crash instead of a ride, but for something so broad you are probably going to want to stay in the middle for maximum versatility.

You may want to look at a bigger crash, something around 18" for those styles. Smaller is going to be brighter and punchier and bigger is going to be darker and wash out more.
Unread 11-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
You ever think about going used so you can get a full kit?

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
You ever think about going used so you can get a full kit?
Indeed. I've seen cheap kits like that with basic Pacific hardware and either older, non-label Zildjian cymbals or newer Zildjian ZBT/Sabian B8 grade (cheap, not great sounding, but good enough to start) on the used market in the same price range ($300ish).

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Living the Good Life

another point, it you need a throne, and for rock or metal, you will end up needing a double bass pedal at some point, along with cymbals

Perhaps to buy a used entire set (with all of the above), then upgrade to nicer cymbals, then pedal, then pieces of drum set etc. would be a good option on such a limited budget (i.e. my medium range double bass pedal, DW5000, was by its self 199.99)

Woohoo it is my blog
I don't need an Arcade, CPF is my Arcade
doulos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos14 View Post
another point, it you need a throne, and for rock or metal, you will end up needing a double bass pedal at some point, along with cymbals

Perhaps to buy a used entire set (with all of the above), then upgrade to nicer cymbals, then pedal, then pieces of drum set etc. would be a good option on such a limited budget (i.e. my medium range double bass pedal, DW5000, was by its self 199.99)
Meh...for some styles a double kick pedal is necessary, but I wouldn't call it a "need" for most rock playing styles.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote