Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #1

So I've got Trigger Finger

Went to the doc because I'd had problems playing and he diagnosed me with trigger finger from too much guitar (never considered an hour a day "too much" but que, sera, sera). Anyone ever had this? What was your experience/symptoms like? Has anyone had the surgery? If so, how long did it take to get you playing again? If you didn't have the surgery, did it ever come back after treatment?
Right now, he's got me on anti-inflammitory meds and told me to rest for a month to see if things improved... praying they will and that I'll be back to my hour a day soon.

pink snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #2

I had something like that a while back, it was weird - I woke up in the am with one of my fingers in a bent position, and when I would straighten it out, it would snap back.. It only lasted a day or 2, though, and never came back.

If it were me, surgery would be a last resort. So many times I have seen where a surgery for "mechanical" issues was not successful and caused other issue. I would research on the net, and try to find a non-surgical solution. I did have tennis elbow a few years back, that was causing a lot of problems playing guitar - to the point that I did not know if I would be able to play much longer since it was getting worse and more painful. I ended up using an elastic brace thing for a few months and it disappeared.
Unread 11-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Semper ubi sub ubi!

I had it in the pinky of my left hand. My doc advised surgery, but first I tried an anti-inflammatory (ate lots of ibue) and glucosomine condroitin.

I didn't notice any change for about 6 weeks, and then there was a little improvement. By the 8 week mark, the trigger finger was gone and it's never come back. No need for surgery.

Glucosomine condroitin works well, but you have to be patient. Take it faithfully and wait.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #4

Awesome! So good to know it hasn't come back for you. That gives me lots of hope. I've been dealing with this for several months... apparently, it was already there "Below the surface," but didn't really make itself noticable until I started working really hard on trills. Of course, the constant trilling only made it worse. And the worse it got, the more I trilled, thinking it was a skill issue, not a medical issue.

The doc has me scheduled to come back in a month... I'm guessing my playing will improve dramatically once it's finally gone.
Unread 11-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #5

I've haven't had trigger finger, but I have dealt with recurring tendonitis, basically inflamed tendons, or in my case, ridiculously inflamed tendons. I wore a brace, took ibuprofen, and took a break, and it went away. For me, it is recurring, and so it comes back, but I can manage it.
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #6

So 2 months later and I'm feeling much better. Not 100% better, but at least enough to not put my gear up on e-bay and forsake the 5 years I've invested in this 6-stringed beast... for now

Doc put me on prescription aleve (1000 mg's) for a month. Things got about 10% better, so he shot me up with a nice (read: painful ) cortizone injection. FYI, hand injections hurt! But they are apparently effective. I'd say I'm kicking at about 30% improvement now. Continuing to pop the aleve and glucosamine.

I've got another appointment scheduled for next week to discuss any further treatment. At this point, the only thing left to do is cut me open. I'm thinking of cancelling and just seeing where more time, rest, and meds lead me. No need for my hand or my wallet to incur any pain where it can be avoided, right?

Last edited by pink snare; 08-01-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Before you go the surgery route, I'd give it another month on the gluco. If it's not much better by then, it may be knife time.

If you do have the surgery, be sure you let your surgeon know you're taking gluco. He may ask you to stop for a week or so before the surgery. They guy who cut on my knee did.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #8

So, after months of no improvement, I finally had the surgery. Almost 2 months since my procedure and I can't really say things are better for me.
I seriously wonder if I'll ever be able to play again like I used to. Frustrating. Depressing.
If an Orthopaedic doc happens to be on the site... feel free to pass along any wisdom you may have.