Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Countertenor?

I finally found my range. A2 to A5 usable range. Down to F#2 and up to C6 are there...but not useful right now.

Now...I know absolutely nothing about this stuff. I'm not really a singer in the first place. Friends of mine seem to think I'd fall under countertenor...but I have no idea what that actually is.

From Wiki:

"The countertenor range is generally equivalent to an alto range, extending from approximately G or A<SUB>3</SUB> to E<SUB>5</SUB> or perhaps F<SUB>5</SUB>. In actual practice, it is generally acknowledged that a majority of countertenors sing with a falsetto vocal production for at least the upper half of this range, although most use some form of "chest voice" (akin to the range of their speaking voice) for the lower notes."

So...
1) what is a countertenor?
2) when determining range, does it matter where chest voice meets falsetto?
3) what would I be considered?

I've searched the forums for a bit but didn't find anything conclusive; please forgive any ignorance on the subject.

SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
In order to be classified "countertenor", your voice has to not only have to have the range but the lighter colored tone production of a countertenor. As this page states, a countertenor is able to produce a full-bodied tone with their falsetto, and it has a certain quality to it unlike men who are tenors or basses. Further, this page states that singing as a countertenor is a decision, because you've decided to embrace singing in your falsetto and training that range over your lower voice. (This page is awesome, I'd read it.)

Put simply, most men can sing in falsetto, and most men can sing kind of low--some of these men are baritones, and some of them are countertenors, and some of them are whathaveyous, even though they have similar ranges. Terms like bass, countertenor, and baritone are not terms of range, but terms of tone color. The difference between a mezzo soprano and a soprano is not necessarily the range but the tone quality.

So, what does your tone sound like in the upper range? To get the idea of a countertenor's sound, I'd suggest listening to groups like The King's Singers or Chanticleer...they have fantastic singers.

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoesup View Post
In order to be classified "countertenor", your voice has to not only have to have the range but the lighter colored tone production of a countertenor. As this page states, a countertenor is able to produce a full-bodied tone with their falsetto, and it has a certain quality to it unlike men who are tenors or basses. Further, this page states that singing as a countertenor is a decision, because you've decided to embrace singing in your falsetto and training that range over your lower voice. (This page is awesome, I'd read it.)

Put simply, most men can sing in falsetto, and most men can sing kind of low--some of these men are baritones, and some of them are countertenors, and some of them are whathaveyous, even though they have similar ranges. Terms like bass, countertenor, and baritone are not terms of range, but terms of tone color. The difference between a mezzo soprano and a soprano is not necessarily the range but the tone quality.

So, what does your tone sound like in the upper range? To get the idea of a countertenor's sound, I'd suggest listening to groups like The King's Singers or Chanticleer...they have fantastic singers.
There is a lot of debate on this. Definition, whether it's natural or not, stuff like that. I'm gonna say that it's most likely not a choice. I've tried that sight's techniques before and was completely unsuccessful.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote