Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
leafy greens!

Strengthening falsetto voice

I'd really like to strengthen my falsetto voice to the point where I could use it in my songs on a regular basis. I have a somewhat scary falsetto range, ranging anywhere from around E to around E above high E(I can sing higher than my second soprano sister). It's really the only thing remarkable about my voice, which is part of the reason I'd like to work on it. I have a lot of problems, including strength of sound, sustaining longer notes, control, and voice breaks. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
not so bright

Practice doing it more and you'll get better at it...that seems like really common sense but it's true.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenwatt View Post
Practice doing it more and you'll get better at it...that seems like really common sense but it's true.
Well, yeah. I guess I meant going beyond the obvious

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
Unread 11-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
How much vocal training have you had?

Strength, sustain, and control are all about proper breath support, which is the same for all singing. Deep breathing exercises and diaphragm strength are excellent things to work on.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
How much vocal training have you had?
One year of one-on-one lessons, plus four years in a performing arts group where we were given vocal instruction more as a group(although there was significant training one-on-one there as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Strength, sustain, and control are all about proper breath support, which is the same for all singing. Deep breathing exercises and diaphragm strength are excellent things to work on.
The strange thing is, breath support has never really been an issue for me. I've generally been able to keep very good breath support in my normal voice, but it is significantly reduced when I go to falsetto. I've been singing "The Prayer", but holding that B flat at the end is killing me.

Unread 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
One year of one-on-one lessons, plus four years in a performing arts group where we were given vocal instruction more as a group(although there was significant training one-on-one there as well).

The strange thing is, breath support has never really been an issue for me. I've generally been able to keep very good breath support in my normal voice, but it is significantly reduced when I go to falsetto. I've been singing "The Prayer", but holding that B flat at the end is killing me.
I know that as a woman, if I want to sing higher I have to drastically increase my breath support and also aim the air into a different cavity in my head (sinuses) for higher notes. Perhaps you might play around with where you are allowing the air to resonate?

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoesup View Post
I know that as a woman, if I want to sing higher I have to drastically increase my breath support and also aim the air into a different cavity in my head (sinuses) for higher notes. Perhaps you might play around with where you are allowing the air to resonate?
I will try that.

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Ax
Rabid Wombat

All good advice. Answer me a question and then do this for me. Are you asthmatic? Hold your breath and time it for me.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
All good advice. Answer me a question and then do this for me. Are you asthmatic? Hold your breath and time it for me.
No I am not asthmatic. My first time was 1:15, my second 1:40. I did it sitting down, I don't know if that makes a difference or not - obviously it makes a difference in singing.

Unread 11-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
No I am not asthmatic. My first time was 1:15, my second 1:40. I did it sitting down, I don't know if that makes a difference or not - obviously it makes a difference in singing.
Lung capacity is fine, you could work on it if you want. Try taking as deep of a breath as you can as fast as you can and release it immediately... repeat with not time in between... that will help your breath support. Sing scales in a fast tempo and sing 'he-has' and make them staccato. That will help you control your breathing a lot. Breath support is basically all falsetto is...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
leafy greens!

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. If anyone else has something more to add, please do.