Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #616
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Operation get a good body commences today. I'm 4 weeks postpartum and despite the midwife being all like "wait until 6 weeks to exercise" I feel really good, and talked to a nurse friend who said I could go for it if I felt up to it. So I'm going to start slow, take the kids on walks, do some workout DVDs and try to convince the toddler to try it with me because it's adorable, and start working on my messed up abs. Two giant babies in under two years takes a toll.

Right now I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant with Sullivan, at 175 lbs. I'd like to lose 25 lbs, and then reevaluate how I feel at that point as far as losing more. I don't feel any need to get real skinny, just want to feel good about my body and make some progress towards being healthy.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #617
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
I don't know how much I weigh now, but it's probably at least another 10 pounds down from my last post. I'll find out exactly how much tomorrow. It'll be nice to be back below 300 pretty soon. I'm still probably at least one, more likely two months away from that one, but it is my first major goal, so it kicks butt.

I can't say I feel good, but that has more to do with other medical issues (unrelated to weight) that I am dealing with. It does feel nice to be wearing a San Jose Sharks shirt that didn't work for me just a couple of months ago. I am going to be spending a fortune on wardrobe, though. At least I am starting to get back into sizes that I can buy at Target and Walmart.
Unread 06-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #618
paradoxotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
Whoops, forgot to reply to this thread. Thanks for the advice, guys! I have got to fix my cooking situation -- it's a pain to cook with my tiny kitchen, so I keep using that as an excuse to eat crappy foods. I don't eat ridiculously much, but I eat enough that I'm maintaining my too-high weight. So it's not going well . Gah, I need to tell my stomach no!
Dude! This is my #1 concern in moving out. Having a good-sized kitchen (at least one you can get in an apartment, anyway) is priority. My boyfriend and I both love to cook and I've been in the roommate situation before where they cook and don't clean so the kitchen is always disgusting so I didn't want to cook. It's an awful habit to have.

Quote:
Also, way to go, Katie!!! You're killing it!
And thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Operation get a good body commences today. I'm 4 weeks postpartum and despite the midwife being all like "wait until 6 weeks to exercise" I feel really good, and talked to a nurse friend who said I could go for it if I felt up to it. So I'm going to start slow, take the kids on walks, do some workout DVDs and try to convince the toddler to try it with me because it's adorable, and start working on my messed up abs. Two giant babies in under two years takes a toll.

Right now I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant with Sullivan, at 175 lbs. I'd like to lose 25 lbs, and then reevaluate how I feel at that point as far as losing more. I don't feel any need to get real skinny, just want to feel good about my body and make some progress towards being healthy.
Yes!! Toddler yoga. Hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I don't know how much I weigh now, but it's probably at least another 10 pounds down from my last post. I'll find out exactly how much tomorrow. It'll be nice to be back below 300 pretty soon. I'm still probably at least one, more likely two months away from that one, but it is my first major goal, so it kicks butt.

I can't say I feel good, but that has more to do with other medical issues (unrelated to weight) that I am dealing with. It does feel nice to be wearing a San Jose Sharks shirt that didn't work for me just a couple of months ago. I am going to be spending a fortune on wardrobe, though. At least I am starting to get back into sizes that I can buy at Target and Walmart.
Good job Art!!
magical spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #619
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
I would like to join in this getting-back-in-shape journey. Realizing I've expanded a few inches around the waist is somewhat saddening. Help me, sensei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #620
paradoxotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
I would like to join in this getting-back-in-shape journey. Realizing I've expanded a few inches around the waist is somewhat saddening. Help me, sensei.
It is a delicate balance of doing stuff (e.g., exercise) and not doing stuff (e.g., not stuffing your face all day long...like I did today).

I've been consistently eating over my calorie budget lately. Feels bad, man.
Unread 06-15-2016, 05:52 AM   #621
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
I just ordered portion sizing Tupperware containers akin to those used on the 21 Day Fix by Beachbody. One of my good friends has lost 25lbs in just a few months and swears by it. I don't have the money to get the whole program, but I'm at least getting the portioning stuff and a book that's all about eating clean that also has recipes. Pretty stoked! Can't wait to be back down to 155-160. Running a 10-miler in October, so it's kind of crucial to lose this weight!

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #622
paradoxotaur

Quote:
I just ordered portion sizing Tupperware containers akin to those used on the 21 Day Fix by Beachbody. One of my good friends has lost 25lbs in just a few months and swears by it. I don't have the money to get the whole program, but I'm at least getting the portioning stuff and a book that's all about eating clean that also has recipes. Pretty stoked! Can't wait to be back down to 155-160. Running a 10-miler in October, so it's kind of crucial to lose this weight!
Hmm, I have a question about these. So, to my limited knowledge, everything is color-coded so you have your boxes for protein/veg/starch/etc., right? Obviously it doesn't include boxes for things like candy or snacks or whatever...so wouldn't weight loss come naturally from this?

I am not trying to downplay the success your friend has had, I am just skeptical of things like this. It seems like an exclusion diet, and people get all flabbergasted when they do something like that and lose weight. "I stopped eating 300g carbs a day and the weight just dropped right off!"

Well, no kidding.
Unread 06-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #623
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by magical spatula
Hmm, I have a question about these. So, to my limited knowledge, everything is color-coded so you have your boxes for protein/veg/starch/etc., right? Obviously it doesn't include boxes for things like candy or snacks or whatever...so wouldn't weight loss come naturally from this? I am not trying to downplay the success your friend has had, I am just skeptical of things like this. It seems like an exclusion diet, and people get all flabbergasted when they do something like that and lose weight. "I stopped eating 300g carbs a day and the weight just dropped right off!" Well, no kidding.
It does include those things -- per this program, though, you only have those things a couple times a week at most, and you skip a portion or two of your carbs for the day. The program also incorporates daily exercise. My friends showed me a video from one of the coaches on National Donut Day that also made fun of the uber perfection idea and told viewers to go "eat a friggin' donut" because it's all about balance. Your diet can't control your life, but eating clean and watching how much you eat will make your life so much better and get you where you want to be. When you hit what you want, that program then just encourages you to add 400-500 more calories per day by just adding a Tupperware or two of each color to the mix each day. It's not a calorie counting program -- it's a portion size program with lots of different options and examples for each type. YMMV

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
Unread 09-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #624
paradoxotaur

*swipes cobwebs off thread*

Hey guys. How are you all doing? Can we get in a circle and sing kumbaya?

Gonna toot my own horn here. I finally broke a plateau last week and fit into a size 12 dress, which is the smallest I've been since I think middle school. Here's a picture for you!

Left: December. 2010, dress size 20/XXL. Weight: 230? 240? I have no idea.

Right: September 2016, dress size 12 (M/L?). Weight: 179.

I also got a tan

Amazing what a little self control and a lot of hard work can do!
Unread 11-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #625
Lieutenant Commander

Minus 155 lbs.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #626
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by magical spatula
*swipes cobwebs off thread* Hey guys. How are you all doing? Can we get in a circle and sing kumbaya? Gonna toot my own horn here. I finally broke a plateau last week and fit into a size 12 dress, which is the smallest I've been since I think middle school. Here's a picture for you! Left: December. 2010, dress size 20/XXL. Weight: 230? 240? I have no idea. Right: September 2016, dress size 12 (M/L?). Weight: 179. I also got a tan Amazing what a little self control and a lot of hard work can do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap_j
Minus 155 lbs.

Dudes! Way to go!! You're killing it! That's amazing!

Katie: What's been the best part for you of both the process and the results you've seen?

Josh: How long has it taken you to lose that? And how much farther are you shooting for? It's got to feel like you're half the man you used to be! Amazing job so far!

Unread 11-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #627
Super Mom

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap_j View Post
Minus 155 lbs.
What?! That's fantastic!
Unread 11-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #628
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Josh: How long has it taken you to lose that? And how much farther are you shooting for? It's got to feel like you're half the man you used to be! Amazing job so far!
My last update was minus 149 lbs. Last November, lol. Gained 30-40 lbs. Story of my life. Struggled back though. Gotta keep moving.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #629
paradoxotaur

Quote:
Minus 155 lbs.
Quote:
My last update was minus 149 lbs. Last November, lol. Gained 30-40 lbs. Story of my life. Struggled back though. Gotta keep moving.
Great job though. I have maintained and not lost since around June and it really bums me out. I thought I'd be to my goal by my birthday next month, which is still 25+ pounds away, and now that I'm closer to that goal weight, I realize it's still probably too high.

BUT.

We didn't gain weight overnight, or days, or weeks. Which means it won't come off in that period of time too. Good on you for getting back on the wagon! Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Dudes! Way to go!! You're killing it! That's amazing!

Katie: What's been the best part for you of both the process and the results you've seen?
Thanks! So many good things.

- My asthma is pretty much gone. I still have bouts with it (especially in colder weather), but I'm definitely in MUCH better shape and general health than I was before. Walking up stairs, going for a jog, going hiking, I crave to be moving and doing stuff, most of the time. I still have couch days.
- Eating less means spending less money on food. You can stretch your groceries, and restaurant portions are usually 2 - 3 meals worth for me. I never realized how much I was eating before.
- I realize the value of food. Not that it tastes good, not that we are literally drowning ourselves with food (and mostly crappy food), but the actual, body's budget of food. The simple realization that food is ENERGY and not entertainment, socialization, etc. This is still a really hard habit to break, but when it comes down to it, when I have good days, when I realize I'm not hungry, but I think I'm hungry (because boredom, or something looks or sounds good, or I have a weird pseudo craving, or I'm dehydrated), the amount of food my body needs to simply survive is pretty minimal.
- Clothes fit now! I feel more confident and have a lot more options. It's really weird to go into a store and not have to shop in the plus size section like I have my entire life, or look at something and think it's cute, then get disappointed when it's too big (instead of too small, which was the case most of the time before I'd lost weight).
- I get people that tell me how good I look, how I look skinny, etc. Especially once I started building muscle through weightlifting, my friends would be amazed and how my body had changed! I plan on continuing that.

« MLB 2016 | Softball »