Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
Awesome story, Sean. I hope your re-commitment sticks!
It's stuck long enough now that it should stick for awhile.

I'm either on or off. I can't half do it when it comes to dieting or working out. If i half do it it only lasts about a week. I normally have to spend some money to force me into a commitment.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #47
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It's stuck long enough now that it should stick for awhile.

I'm either on or off. I can't half do it when it comes to dieting or working out. If i half do it it only lasts about a week. I normally have to spend some money to force me into a commitment.
Whats funny is if I do what you describe, I keep weight around my middle. I think I need a lot of cardio, honestly to get down. At least, thats what I am beginning to think.

How much of your advice is aimed at keeping weight up?

Because if left to my own devices, I sit at around 200, and even if I lower my body fat to a good percentage, that is just too much for my joints and my back. (I have done that a couple times, and while fun, I don't think it is long term good for my joints)

I need to lose some weight and stay wiry to a degree, and am finding that hard. I build muscle pretty quick, but I can't seem to get rid of anything. I work out, and get stronger, and consequently, heavier.

I work out and my muscles increases, and my belly fat stays put. IOW, I am getting really frustrated because I already have a bad knee and I NEED to get lighter because movement in the form of cardio hurts to a degree. My #1 priority is halting the osteoarthritis in my knee getting worse.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #48

Quote:
I've read that soreness isn't a good indicator, but I still like to use it as one. If I'm not feeling sore I try to increase intensity or change things up.

How long have you been doing this routine? Your body adapts very quickly. To continue to get results you need to continue to shock your body. The longer you do a routine, the less shocking it is to the system.
I've been pretty steady on this for about a month. That doesn't seem excessively long to me. I'm hesitant to change too much for a number of reasons...the biggest reason since I've been steady like this I've gone from 4-5 pull ups to 7 and from about 30 push ups to 40 and my pants feel looser. What I've been trying the last week or so is to change up my rep/set routine a little. Some days only doing 4 or 5 sets of push ups for example but going to failure each set and then other days doing like 10 sets of 20. I'm racking my brain to come up with new ways to move weight on the boat. I've got some ideas. I'll post what they are if I can make them work.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Whats funny is if I do what you describe, I keep weight around my middle. I think I need a lot of cardio, honestly to get down. At least, thats what I am beginning to think.

Because if left to my own devices, I sit at around 200, and even if I lower my body fat to a good percentage, that is just too much for my joints and my back. (I have done that a couple times, and while fun, I don't think it is long term good for my joints)

I need to lose some weight and stay wiry to a degree, and am finding that hard. I build muscle pretty quick, but I can't seem to get rid of anything. I work out, and get stronger, and consequently, heavier.

I work out and my muscles increases, and my belly fat stays put. IOW, I am getting really frustrated because I already have a bad knee and I NEED to get lighter because movement in the form of cardio hurts to a degree. My #1 priority is halting the osteoarthritis in my knee getting worse.
Bill, I get shin splits real bad no matter what I do. So running, jumping rope etc. only makes up a small portion of my cardio. When I was home last I started swimming a couple of days a week. Man that's a work out. If there's a pool by you maybe you could try that.
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #50

Quote:

I list the principles which I use which are based around trying to gain muscle with little concern for gaining fat. So some of the principles would be very bad advise for most people.

However, the basic principles work for fat loss too.

Also if there are joint problems, it would probably be good to use machines for the bad joint.

Quote:
Here are my primary principles.

Exercise Principles:
  • Focus on free weights
  • Focus on compound lifts
  • Work each muscle group only once per week
  • Lift for strength gains
  • Don't do cardio (I don't recommend this one)

Dieting Principles:
  • Eat lots of protein
  • Avoid sugar
  • Eat the right fats
  • Eat six meals per day
  • Always eat breakfast
  • Always eat some protein right before bed
I cut the two principles which aren't good advice for losing fat.

I would add these principles:
  • Control carb intake
  • Control fat intake
  • Track your body fat
  • Lower calorie count until you start to lose fat.

Unread 04-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
I've been pretty steady on this for about a month. That doesn't seem excessively long to me. I'm hesitant to change too much for a number of reasons...the biggest reason since I've been steady like this I've gone from 4-5 pull ups to 7 and from about 30 push ups to 40 and my pants feel looser. What I've been trying the last week or so is to change up my rep/set routine a little. Some days only doing 4 or 5 sets of push ups for example but going to failure each set and then other days doing like 10 sets of 20. I'm racking my brain to come up with new ways to move weight on the boat. I've got some ideas. I'll post what they are if I can make them work.
You probably don't need to change yet. If you're still seeing progress and lifting more, I wouldn't worry about it.

Unread 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #52
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I list the principles which I use which are based around trying to gain muscle with little concern for gaining fat. So some of the principles would be very bad advise for most people.

However, the basic principles work for fat loss too.

Also if there are joint problems, it would probably be good to use machines for the bad joint.

I cut the two principles which aren't good advice for losing fat.

I would add these principles:
  • Control carb intake
  • Control fat intake
  • Track your body fat
  • Lower calorie count until you start to lose fat.
I will add this. I also tend to eat too few calories if left to my own devices. (around 1200 if I don't make myself eat more. Currently my target is 1500 and I tend towards eating a high vegetable, high protein diet. (and I dare say my wife's cooking tends to run extremely low cal as she is attempting to lose weight and I eat a large serving, only to discover that I have eaten a whopping 200 calories. Veggies tend to be really light on calories)

I am trying to do close to an hour of cardio a day plus some weight training. Obviously, mid final semester this is taking a hit, but to be honest, I am really frustrated.

We do have an olympic sized pool at my complex. I just really suck at swimming. I should probably attempt to get somewhat better.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #53

Quote:

I am trying to do close to an hour of cardio a day plus some weight training. Obviously, mid final semester this is taking a hit, but to be honest, I am really frustrated.

We do have an olympic sized pool at my complex. I just really suck at swimming. I should probably attempt to get somewhat better.
I really suggest the swimming, since that works so many muscles and is just such a great workout, so just some encouragement to do that Not to mention there's really no weight on the joints.

Just an added note, if you have trouble with running and joint problems, i really suggest investing in some really good running shoes, specifically something that supports and cushions your heel (just because so much weight is put on that). Also, if you run on the road, try to run in the center of the lane. People say that can be dangerous, but as long as you keep an eye on cars and run on the left side of the road to see oncoming traffic, you'll save yourself a lot of pain. Same with running on a track, since you're constantly turning left on a track, more strain is put on that leg, so switch it up every once in a while.

And another thing. Losing fat isnt an instant process. Just stick with it. Muscle burns fat, so don't give up on the weight lifting because you arent seeing instant results, it just takes time. Also, dont constantly max out. That will infact cause you to gain weight because of the sudden increase in muscle mass.. What you want to do is become more lean it sounds like, so i would suggest more of an "endurance" type workout.
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #54

Here's another cardio option that's more interesting and less punishing than running....hacki sack. I went and kicked one around for about 15 minutes tonight. Broke a pretty good sweat. Zero pounding on your knees and lots of work for your core because your twisting, turning, reaching, lunging etc. And when you're not good (like me) you get plenty of exercise chasing the thing down, bending over to pick it up and starting again. It can be done by yourself or with friends and cheap ones only coast about $2.00 at Walmart.
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #55
Gone

Speaking of focusing on compound movements, here's a great article on all-compound workouts.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #56

I read something interesting today and wonder if anybody has any thoughts. Sorry I did not book mark the article. Anyway, it seems a very popular weight lifting principle is to lift frequently to failure. Many will tell you this is essential. I don't use the technique every time I lift, but I guess it's part of my philosophy. Anyway, the article was about the Russian Olympic program I believe....it was some Russian strength program anyway. The article said their philosophy was basically never to work to failure. You know your limit, and if reps 9 and 10 are right at that point of struggle, strain, and possibly sacrifice correct technique then you stop at 8. I gathered from the article that they have two reasons for this and I wonder what your thoughts are. The first reason was that your are programing your brain and muscles to expect to fail. If you are always completing sets relatively easily then psychologically you're programing yourself to think "I can do this all day".....that's more or less it. The second reason was that by not stressing the muscles to the point of failure you could lift more frequently resulting in more training in a given time.

Sorry the post was a ramble. Any thoughts?
Unread 04-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #57
1 Corinthians 2:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
I read something interesting today and wonder if anybody has any thoughts. Sorry I did not book mark the article. Anyway, it seems a very popular weight lifting principle is to lift frequently to failure. Many will tell you this is essential. I don't use the technique every time I lift, but I guess it's part of my philosophy. Anyway, the article was about the Russian Olympic program I believe....it was some Russian strength program anyway. The article said their philosophy was basically never to work to failure. You know your limit, and if reps 9 and 10 are right at that point of struggle, strain, and possibly sacrifice correct technique then you stop at 8. I gathered from the article that they have two reasons for this and I wonder what your thoughts are. The first reason was that your are programing your brain and muscles to expect to fail. If you are always completing sets relatively easily then psychologically you're programing yourself to think "I can do this all day".....that's more or less it. The second reason was that by not stressing the muscles to the point of failure you could lift more frequently resulting in more training in a given time.

Sorry the post was a ramble. Any thoughts?
I can certainly see the logic. Of course, at some point in the training, you'll HAVE to do a max to get a good gauge on where you stand. When I train to failure, the objective is probably as much psychological as physical. I'm trying to build and maintain the toughness that my job sometimes requires. Training to failure hurts, and I don't do it all the time, but when I do, it's with my job in mind.

Six months after I retire, I'll weigh eight-thousand pounds.
supersoldier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier71 View Post

Six months after I retire, I'll weigh eight-thousand pounds.
I was a commercial fisherman for years. When I transitioned from the deck where I was shoveling fish and ice or moving crab pots all day to the wheel house where I was sitting watching the electronics and eating ice cream I put 20 pounds on over night. It was crazy.
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #59
1 Corinthians 2:2

I'm 38 now, and everything is harder. After Airborne School I was in school for almost a year, the first six months being Language School (Farsi's hard). Language was my physical training Waterloo. I got fat, weak and soft, and got way too heavy at about 240.

Here in Iraq, away from family and fast food, I'm starting to reverse the Furniture Disease (chest drops to your drawers) that I had inflicted upon myself during the past year.

I try to maintian a 3 on, 1 day off split, when work doesn't get in the way. I try to do core/abs every time I go to the gym to try and strenghthen and stabilize my chronically bad back (compression fracture of my L-1) and when I lift, I usually do 3 sets times 5-8 reps (or failure).

I'm down to 220-225, but to ease the strain on my back, I think 215 might be better. Below 215 and I lose strength and other aspects of the job get harder.

BTW, after I retire, I may never get on another airplane, much less jump out of one....jthomas, you are a man's man.
supersoldier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #60
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier71 View Post
jthomas, you are a man's man.
There's a siggy quote for you if I ever saw one

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote

« MLB 2016 | Softball »