Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #31
Registered User
 
jthomas1600's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2008
Location: In the great state of Texas
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
UPDATE:

I've hit 210 on bench press for a set of 4. This was after doing two sets of 5 at 205 a couple weeks ago.

5 pounds is gold. According to the charts I've seen, this makes my theoretical max about 236. I'm not planning to max for a few weeks, though.
If your body weight is still around 180 that is excellent. My best was 225 bench at a body weight of just under 200.

An update on my progress. Weight loss is coming slow. My work out routine on the boat has been pretty solid for the last few weeks though. My push up count is increasing. And I'm feeling more athletic...for what ever that's worth.

If any one has any suggestions for making exercise more interesting and effective with limited space and tools I would be interested in hearing them. Here's what I have available. Two dumbbells (about 25 lb. I think...they're home made on the boat), a place to do pull ups, a place to do dips, and a deck that's some times open and clear that is 90ft X 30ft for push-ups, walking, jumping rope etc.

jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #32
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
Have you thought about "strong man" exercises? I'm thinking of sandbag carries, one-arm snatches, that sort of stuff. You could fill a couple paint buckets with cement and curl them.

And by the way, I hit 165 and I'm on the way back up towards 170

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, I have a friend here at seminary, a fellow MDiv student (who is going on for Ph.D work) who is a trainer and a powerlifter. He put me in the right direction for what I'm doing. He also holds world records in bench press - he benched in the 600s when he was 19. Every once in a while, he'll say something like, "Back when I was benching in the middle 7s..." He also happens to be one of the nicest and smartest guys you'll meet.
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone

Last edited by Ted Logan; 03-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #33
Be happy
 
bobthecockroach's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap_j View Post
Nothing any fancier than old school calorie restriction. I found my basal metabolic rate and I'm only taking in about 60-70% of that in calories each day. Some moderate exercise too but that's mostly for the cardiovascular benefits.
This has basically been my strategy as well. I took the number of pounds I wanted to lose, multiplied by 3500 calories per pound (seems to be an oft-cited figure), divided by the number of days I wanted to lose the weight over, subtracted from my metabolic rate, and ensured my sum of eating and burning didn't exceed that number. I haven't followed everything perfectly. Sometimes I'm way under the goal, sometimes I'm way over, but I've lost about 20 pounds since the middle of February. I officially started dieting on February 20th and my goal was to lose 30 pounds by June 26th. Why the weird dates? Engagement and wedding.

Since I'm ahead of schedule, I think I'm going to try to hit 35 or 40 pounds lost by then. That would put me at 175-180, which would be *almost* into the normal weight range by BMI.

Long term the goal is to get below, and never again get above, 175.
__________________
Lord, have mercy
bobthecockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #34
Slappa da bass mon
 
scared2mosh's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,226
Well I know I'm kinda young to join in (16), but over this last semester (probably the most stress I've ever had) I have not worked out and I have been eating wayyy too much junk. I was about 5'8" 180 lbs when I stopped working out. Since then my weight has only gone up a few pounds, but my muscle has shrunk and frankly I look tubby. I just want to get back in shape before I get really really out of shape & make really bad habits and turn this into a life long thing. I've seen several family members do this and I dont want to...

Frankly I couldn't care less what I weigh... I just want to tone up. The issue is the only places my body stores any excess fat is on my obliques and my tush. I don't mind not having a six pack, but I really dont like having love handles. Once summer hits I hope to go back to my old routine (MON-WED-FRI lift weights, do something aerobic and or abs TUES-THURS-SAT and rest on Sundays.)

We'll see how it goes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair Lewis
"Fascism will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a Bible."
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #35
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
Here's a before - so far pic:

Attached Thumbnails
beforeafter.jpg  
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #36
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
Well I know I'm kinda young to join in (16), but over this last semester (probably the most stress I've ever had) I have not worked out and I have been eating wayyy too much junk. I was about 5'8" 180 lbs when I stopped working out. Since then my weight has only gone up a few pounds, but my muscle has shrunk and frankly I look tubby. I just want to get back in shape before I get really really out of shape & make really bad habits and turn this into a life long thing. I've seen several family members do this and I dont want to...

Frankly I couldn't care less what I weigh... I just want to tone up. The issue is the only places my body stores any excess fat is on my obliques and my tush. I don't mind not having a six pack, but I really dont like having love handles. Once summer hits I hope to go back to my old routine (MON-WED-FRI lift weights, do something aerobic and or abs TUES-THURS-SAT and rest on Sundays.)

We'll see how it goes.
Same thing for me my dad is really in bad shape and i dont want to be like that so I'm doing stuff just not much i can do (I'm a weakling by nature)
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #37
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
By the way, I maxed at 245 today.
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #38
Registered User
 
jthomas1600's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2008
Location: In the great state of Texas
Posts: 4,805
Ted, those before and after pics are awesome. The difference is really noticeable. I did kind of add some strong man exercises. Tonight I filled two five gallon buckets with water. I walk laps around my back deck. The area I walk is about 60X25 feet. I'd walk a lap with the buckets and then a few empty handed, then a lap with the buckets then.... I did this for 1/2 hour.

Kentl, S2M your never too young to be a part of this conversation. The earlier you make fitness a priority and a lifestyle the better off you'll be.

One of my goals was to be able to do a set of 50 push ups by the end of the year. This week I did a set of 42 so I'm thinking I'll surpass that goal easily since I could only do 30 a few months ago.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #39
Slappa da bass mon
 
scared2mosh's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post

Kentl, S2M your never too young to be a part of this conversation. The earlier you make fitness a priority and a lifestyle the better off you'll be.
Indeed.

EDIT: I have been forcing my self to limit myself to only drinking pop once a week and snacking healthier at night instead of going to 7-11. My weight has stayed the same, but some old pairs of shorts fit me again which is pretty sweet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair Lewis
"Fascism will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a Bible."

Last edited by scared2mosh; 04-10-2010 at 09:00 PM.
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #40
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,762
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
When I got engaged I was 6ft. tall, and only weighed 145. During busy seasons of life sometimes that would dip below 140. I always wanted to be bigger, but I never had the discipline or knowledge to make a difference.

I used my engagement as motivation to finally make a change. Between September and December, I went from 145 to 185. Some of that was fat, but over the next few months I cut away the fat. So by September of the next year I was at a lean and muscular 180.

Here are my primary principles.

Exercise Principles:
  • Focus on free weights
  • Focus on compound lifts
  • Work each muscle group only once per week
  • Lift for strength gains
  • Don't do cardio (I don't recommend this one)

Dieting Principles:
  • Eat lots of protein
  • Avoid sugar
  • Eat the right fats
  • Eat six meals per day
  • Always eat breakfast
  • Always eat some protein right before bed


When I was in my best shape I was using a program to track how many grams of protein, carbs, and fat I was ingesting to ensure I was getting the proper ratios. I couldn't sustain that level of commitment for very long.


I joined a gym a little less than a month ago to try and get back into shape. When I graduated from college and got a full-time job I stopped lifting and my weight dropped to 160. Then I got sick and dropped below 155. That drop inspired me to get back into shape.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #41
Registered User
 
jthomas1600's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2008
Location: In the great state of Texas
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Exercise Principles:
  • Focus on free weights
  • Focus on compound lifts
  • Work each muscle group only once per week
  • Lift for strength gains
  • Don't do cardio (I don't recommend this one)

Dieting Principles:
  • Eat lots of protein
  • Avoid sugar
  • Eat the right fats
  • Eat six meals per day
  • Always eat breakfast
  • Always eat some protein right before bed
Good input, I especially agree with the first two points on the exercise list, thanks. Good luck with putting the weight back on. I wish that was my problem.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #42
...
Administrator
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,119
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
Good input, I especially agree with the first two points on the exercise list, thanks. Good luck with putting the weight back on. I wish that was my problem.
Seriously...I broke 215 on Easter...Sean, care to send some of your sickness out West?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #43
Gone
 
Ted Logan's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 9,167
A great resource for weight training (and not just for bodybuilding) is Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site..

Awesome story, Sean. I hope your re-commitment sticks! I recently had to make a couple new strength goals:

Bench: 265 1-rep max by June
Waist: Down to 32 inches by August
Weight: Up to 180 by August
__________________
broccolifish at SoundCloud - synthpop and chiptunes I've made

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!


Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #44
Registered User
 
jthomas1600's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2008
Location: In the great state of Texas
Posts: 4,805
So after reading Teds post I thought "I don't use enough internet resources". So I book marked the one he suggested and started surfing the net. I've read Muscle and Fitness magazine for years so that was one of the first places I went. If you're looking for a good resource, I highly recommend that as well. Just google Muscle and Fitness.

I have a question for ya'll. How much is post work out soreness part of your routine? Do you feel some muscle soreness after most work outs? Do you need to feel soreness to be making progress? The reason I ask, is I have not been feeling any recently. As you know the tools I have available to work out are limited. But as an example, the other day I did three sets of push ups with my feet elevated about 10 inches. Then I did three regular sets. I did three sets of military press with dumbbells, three sets of fly's, and three sets of....I don't know what they're called... but where you're hands are at your sides with the dumbbells and you raise them straight out in front of your shoulders. I did all sets almost to the point of failure. I would expect to feel some soreness in my pecks. I have been pushing my workouts trying to get sore and am failing. Is this good, bad, or indifferent? It should be noted I'm working out almost every day. I do pushing exercises one day and pulling the next. Maybe my muscles are not recuperating enough between work outs to do the necessary work ?
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #45
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,762
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
I have a question for ya'll. How much is post work out soreness part of your routine? Do you feel some muscle soreness after most work outs? Do you need to feel soreness to be making progress?
I've read that soreness isn't a good indicator, but I still like to use it as one. If I'm not feeling sore I try to increase intensity or change things up.

Quote:
The reason I ask, is I have not been feeling any recently. As you know the tools I have available to work out are limited. But as an example, the other day I did three sets of push ups with my feet elevated about 10 inches. Then I did three regular sets. I did three sets of military press with dumbbells, three sets of fly's, and three sets of....I don't know what they're called... but where you're hands are at your sides with the dumbbells and you raise them straight out in front of your shoulders. I did all sets almost to the point of failure. I would expect to feel some soreness in my pecks. I have been pushing my workouts trying to get sore and am failing. Is this good, bad, or indifferent? It should be noted I'm working out almost every day. I do pushing exercises one day and pulling the next. Maybe my muscles are not recuperating enough between work outs to do the necessary work ?
How long have you been doing this routine? Your body adapts very quickly. To continue to get results you need to continue to shock your body. The longer you do a routine, the less shocking it is to the system.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« MLB 2016 | Softball »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2