Unread 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
I want to gain weight....after I lose some. *muscles*

Unread 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinofwar View Post
I wish I could gain weight :'( (I'm like 5'9'', almost 170..)
Metabolisms slow down as you get older for most guys.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to bread man Send a message via MSN to bread man
I've always been pretty thin (I'm 6' 3"), but about a year ago I started walking or jogging regularly (almost daily) for 30-40 minutes. I've found that regular exercise makes me less prone to eating unhealthy foods because I just don't feel like it. Over the past few months I've been trying to get into better patterns of eating. I don't really measure my weight much but I know just from looking at myself that I have less fat and I'm more toned. I want to put on a bit of muscle, so that's my next goal over the summer holidays.
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
Do you have a high metabolism?
I guess so. When I was in college I used to eat pizza 3-4 times a week and would not gain any weight. I would just stay around 160.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
Ted mentioned your metabolism. You probably already know this, but when you do make the time to work out you need to work out much differently than those of us that are trying to loose weight. You will need to stay away from a lot of extended aerobic sessions -- if you train like your preparing for a marathon, you will look like a marathon runner. Lift weights. Keep the number of reps low -- like 6-8, the number of sets fairly low -- like three per body part, and the weights fairly heavy -- like 80% of your max for that particular exercise. And of course lots of protein. Of course I'm not an expert, but I think that's pretty common advise you will find in Men's Fitness etc.
Yeah I've been eating protein bars a lot, but like you say I need to start weight training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Wales
THEN YOU KICK HER IN THE &%*(^*% FACE WITH YOUR ENERGY LEGS... DUH.
Napoleon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #20

One thing that I have started doing in the army is Crossfit.. I love it because it's a variety of different exercises that all help you physically.. plus you don't have to spend hours at the gym. It doesn't take that long to do.. it's all about taking a time period and doing as much as you can in that one time period..
Check out the website and if anyone has any questions about it, let me know..

It's also great to work out with an accountability partner. On days where you don't really 'feel like' working out, they can give you that push and motivation you need to do it.. and it has always been a huge benefit to me
kimberlyb0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Gone

You're right about accountability, Kimberly. My workout partner only accompanies me twice a week, and it's much easier to skip the workouts that he won't be there for.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #22

I decided to start shaping up around october last year. So far I have lost 30 pounds and I am getting leaner every day. I started out dieting which was so hard. Then I picked up boxing which is a lot of fun. I also jog regularly now. I also picked up badminton. I also do some weight training after each boxing session. I'm not on a diet anymore and I'm still not gaining weight but still losing more. I'm not taking any supplements right now.

I'm in the best shape of my life.
blazearmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazearmstrong View Post
I decided to start shaping up around october last year. So far I have lost 30 pounds and I am getting leaner every day. I started out dieting which was so hard. Then I picked up boxing which is a lot of fun. I also jog regularly now. I also picked up badminton. I also do some weight training after each boxing session. I'm not on a diet anymore and I'm still not gaining weight but still losing more. I'm not taking any supplements right now.

I'm in the best shape of my life.
Welcome.

So how is everybody doing? I have not lost anymore, and have been slipping in and out of my workout regiment.
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #24

I've been on a good routine. I go to the gym and shoot baskets with my daughter who wants to play basketball next year at school. We spend a half an hour...mostly her shooting and me rebounding. Then she goes to school and I lift for about 30 minutes then I hit the treadmill to run/walk. My shins, knees and feet don't allow me to do the treadmill every day, so today I went swimming. I am also doing taekwondo about 3 times a week. I only have two more weeks at home and then it's back to the boat where it's mostly push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. Not doing to well with the weight loss though. Gotta be more disciplined at the dinner table.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #25
Gone

It's pretty cool that this thread hasn't completely died. December was harder for me, because we moved out of my in-laws' house (they have a Bow Flex), so during finals and the Christmas break, I missed a lot of workouts. But I've been consistent since the semester started. Here's how I'm doing:

-I injured my shoulder on a bench machine, but I'm overcoming it by sticking to free weights for bench. I recently made it back to sets of 195 on barbell press and 130 on dumbbell press. My new goal is to be working out with 225 on barbell bench by the end of May.

-I haven't lost anymore weight (I'm hovering around 165). I hope to be between 165-175 when I reach my bench goal.

-I have lost a negligible amount of belly fat since my last update. I'm hoping to be down to 32 inches when I reach my bench goal. That's just 2 inches, but it's the hardest 2 inches. If I ever make it to 30, I won't expect ever to lose any more.

And by the way, I'm still not doing any aerobic cardio. If I hit 225 on bench before May, I might switch back to a strict circuit training regimen to focus more on cardio, but I have become a huge believer that weight-training cardio is the better choice for me (as in, I'll actually do it, whereas I can always find a reason why I don't have time to jog).

Gone
Unread 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Lieutenant Commander

I've lost 28lbs. since Jan. 4. Decent pace.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
Gone

Awesome! What are you doing to lose the weight?

Gone
Unread 03-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
Awesome! What are you doing to lose the weight?
Nothing any fancier than old school calorie restriction. I found my basal metabolic rate and I'm only taking in about 60-70% of that in calories each day. Some moderate exercise too but that's mostly for the cardiovascular benefits.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #29
DANGER ZONE!

Good work there guys.

After my initial drop of 5, I put on about 8 somehow, and am now down 10 from that. This last weekend was really good for me, in that I finally got rid of that bloated full hungry feeling... I've been missing a lot of my workouts, but I've been stricter on my diet.

I'm hoping to get both of them working together now, as well as pick up some heavier weights.
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
Gone

UPDATE:

I've hit 210 on bench press for a set of 4. This was after doing two sets of 5 at 205 a couple weeks ago.

5 pounds is gold. According to the charts I've seen, this makes my theoretical max about 236. I'm not planning to max for a few weeks, though.

Gone

« MLB 2016 | Softball »