Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:07 PM   #16
now has an Xkcer Woman

Send a message via ICQ to Xkcer Man Send a message via AIM to Xkcer Man Send a message via MSN to Xkcer Man Send a message via Yahoo to Xkcer Man
Not necessarily, unless you do that all the time. You could've just gotten lucky. I think one of the biggest signs that you have it is when certain notes just jump out at you and you know what they are, even when you're not listening for them. That happens to me a lot when I'm listening to people play French horn (my main instrument).

Unread 03-25-2002, 11:14 PM   #17
Les Paul player

Send a message via ICQ to shamster Send a message via AIM to shamster
The best way to tell is to have someone else play notes for you without you looking, and you should be able to name all them, including and especially the first one, correctly.
And not have to think too long about it either.
shamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:26 PM   #18
now has an Xkcer Woman

Send a message via ICQ to Xkcer Man Send a message via AIM to Xkcer Man Send a message via MSN to Xkcer Man Send a message via Yahoo to Xkcer Man
This is what works for me:
I hear songs in my head in the correct key. Always. So whenever I wanted to learn a new note, I'd associate it with a song and then listen for the song to know what the pitch was. After a few years of doing that. A lot of pitches just come automatically to me (E, F, A, Bb, and Db mainly)
Unread 03-29-2002, 02:37 PM   #19
Mr. Pie

Send a message via AIM to The Flying Fish Send a message via MSN to The Flying Fish Send a message via Yahoo to The Flying Fish
IMO, perfect pitch can be learned. I say this because, now, I can usually listen to a song and pick out the melody notes and then play them on piano, and be able to tell what a note is if someone was to play it on an instrument, while a year ago I probably couldn't do that. Over time I've gotten better at doing this, the main reason why I think that perfect pitch is something that can be learned.
The Flying Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Fish
IMO, perfect pitch can be learned. I say this because, now, I can usually listen to a song and pick out the melody notes and then play them on piano, and be able to tell what a note is if someone was to play it on an instrument, while a year ago I probably couldn't do that. Over time I've gotten better at doing this, the main reason why I think that perfect pitch is something that can be learned.
A think Perfect pitch is usually talent and gift...since i know some people are just totally tone deaf...
I think some people are born with the gift of ACQUIRING perfect pitch and with practice over time people get it.

but then again there are the exceptions which are those people who are just born with it and they don't need any practice or wat not and just have it.
d0c_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2002, 11:05 PM   #21
Fabulous!

paid
Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan Send a message via Skype™ to Bryan
ok people, many of you have the wrong idea of perfect pitch. Perfect pitch is being able to sing a note without hearing it first.

Like if I say sing a C and you can and hit it right on the spot, that is an indicator that you have perfect pitch.

Being able to hear a C and recognize that is a C is not perfect pitch. That is something you learn in Music Classes.
Unread 04-21-2002, 03:44 PM   #22
WeIrD wEiRd WeIrD

Send a message via AIM to jammin'4him
i AM tone deaf.
i think my phone rings in the key of C-i'm sure of it

ben:"HE ALREADY GROWED UP!!!!"

:kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kdu h:
insaine &weird forever!

Click here to join my club!
jammin'4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2002, 04:15 PM   #23
Once A Number One Poster

Send a message via AIM to froggee501
I"m hearing impaired... i definately DON"T have perfect pitch.
Unread 04-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #24
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan
ok people, many of you have the wrong idea of perfect pitch. Perfect pitch is being able to sing a note without hearing it first.

Like if I say sing a C and you can and hit it right on the spot, that is an indicator that you have perfect pitch.

Being able to hear a C and recognize that is a C is not perfect pitch. That is something you learn in Music Classes.
I'm going to disagree here. There are many instrumentalists who have perfect pitch but wouldn't be able to sing a note like you say. I've always been told that perfect pitch is the ability to hear a note and know what it is, and likewise, assuming you can sing in tune, being able to sing any named pitch in tune. And what you learn in music classes (I know, I'm a music minor at college and I've taken many) is relative pitch. That is, the ability to hear correct intervals. With relative pitch, you should be able to hear all other pitches once you're told what one pitch is. I've never heard of perfect pitch being taught in any classes, and I don't know anyone who has it.
Unread 04-22-2002, 01:55 PM   #25
WeIrD wEiRd WeIrD

Send a message via AIM to jammin'4him
i'm a musician, but i cant sing....

ben:"HE ALREADY GROWED UP!!!!"

:kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kduh::kdu h:
insaine &weird forever!

Click here to join my club!
jammin'4him is offline   Reply With Quote