Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

This was supposed to be kept a secret, but oh well.

This is the video of me playing at the Houston store finals for King of the Blues.
I was trying to keep my song a secret, but someone else who competed that night filmed me and put it on youtube already. So I guess it wouldn't hurt to show it to ya'll. If anyone tries to copy it, it should be fairly obvious and I have video evidence that I was playing it first.

If it sounds like a mistake or a wrong note, it was. The video my Dad did sounds better and has a better angle, but he hasn't put that one on youtube yet, so this is the one that the other guy filmed. I love the shot where he zooms in on my headstock and it says "Squier" real big on it. I had by far the cheapest guitar of anyone there, even when you factor in the upgrades. Most of them probably would consider a Mexican Fender a "cheapo" guitar.

YouTube - Store Finals Winner Rebeca

The judges said I really need to work on stage presence, so if any of you have any advise on that or anything else I'd really like to hear it.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #2

Move around, look at the audience. Try practicing your songs with out looking at your fret board at all. Being able to look up at the audience and move around is really good for stage presence.

Now there's usually parts to a song that you really need to focus for, and that's fine. But to get stage presence you should at least look and move around for the parts you don't need as much focus for. If you force yourself to practice without looking or with only a few glances down as you need them, you'll find you really don't need to look. Your fingers give you all the information you need, so you can at least pretend to look at the audience even if in reality you're not focusing on vision at all, but you're focusing on the tips of your fingers.

That's my advice. I really noticed you stood in one spot and stared at your fretboard the whole song.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioAUnderdog View Post
This is the video of me playing at the Houston store finals for King of the Blues.
I was trying to keep my song a secret, but someone else who competed that night filmed me and put it on youtube already. So I guess it wouldn't hurt to show it to ya'll. If anyone tries to copy it, it should be fairly obvious and I have video evidence that I was playing it first.

If it sounds like a mistake or a wrong note, it was. The video my Dad did sounds better and has a better angle, but he hasn't put that one on youtube yet, so this is the one that the other guy filmed. I love the shot where he zooms in on my headstock and it says "Squier" real big on it. I had by far the cheapest guitar of anyone there, even when you factor in the upgrades. Most of them probably would consider a Mexican Fender a "cheapo" guitar.

YouTube - Store Finals Winner Rebeca

The judges said I really need to work on stage presence, so if any of you have any advise on that or anything else I'd really like to hear it.

Sounds great. Did that trem block I sent work?

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
wait...but you won, correct?

CONGRATS!

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
FEEL the music! Move like you're feeling it!

...dance, basically.

I know I can't play like I'm feeling good unless I get my whole body into it.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #6

crazymoose - Good advise, I'm going to work on that. As for staying in one place, the stage was literally four square feet big and if I took a normal sized step in any direction I would've fallen off. Some of the contestants made a show of jumping on and off the stage, but one nearly fell into the amps and I didn't want to do that anyway.

Bill - Yes, the tremolo worked out great! Thanks again, that really saved me from having a lot of problems.

Steve - Thanks!

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Art
Superfly.

paid
First of all, wow, sounded great, you did a fantastic job!

Otherwise, what Jon said.
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Super Mom

paid
Congratulations!
MtlMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
I'ma let you finish...

Send a message via AIM to mYdEePeStDrEaM Send a message via Skype™ to mYdEePeStDrEaM
MtlMom's comment got removed :O

But anyways, great playing, and congrats on winning! I went to the local one by me for a couple of minutes to check it out. Pretty cool stuff
I just wanna believe,
I just wanna believe.
I just wanna believe in us.
mYdEePeStDrEaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
recovering user

Youtube trolls make me lawl.

Other than that, nice job!

I have nothing else constructive to add!

mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwagman
Unfortunately, you are only good for a 14 year old. I have watched the other competitors videos and you should not have won. Yes, you played very well and you should be proud of your accomplishments, but not good enough to win. You slopped a whole bunch of notes together in the middle when you forgot something, and that octave set? That for sure is not the blues. Technically you are a fairly good player needing years more of practice Keep studying the blues, you need to.
Man, I didn't even notice the comments.
I know why I won because the judges told me why, and I know why everyone else didn't make it because they told why. The judges stated in very plain language that no one gets bonus points for being young, and no one gets bonus points for being a girl and that I certainly didn't get points for either. I'm glad they talked to me about it because I would really be doubting myself it they didn't. Yes, everyone else for sure had more experience and better tone/chops. No, I didn't wear a blues hat and blues clothes like everyone else. Yes, I put some jazz stuff in there, so what? And no, I didn't forget anything. That "bunch of notes" was a diminished scale run over a diminished chord and I know what that means. I just missed a lot of those notes, yes that's sloppy.
The person who made the comment is a friend of one of the other finalists, I saw him there. So I can understand where he's coming from.

Unread 09-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
The blues is whatever your soul says it is! Sheez.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Super Mom

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mYdEePeStDrEaM View Post
MtlMom's comment got removed :O

But anyways, great playing, and congrats on winning! I went to the local one by me for a couple of minutes to check it out. Pretty cool stuff
I removed it myself. I thought it might bait the guy into coming back for an argument. Jealousy is an ugly beast.
MtlMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Dang. That was.... tiiiiight
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
The blues is whatever your soul says it is! Sheez.
My soul tells me it sounds like teh br00talz. Is that a problem?
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote