Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this album, with 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 4 19.05%
5 4 19.05%
6 2 9.52%
7 3 14.29%
8 2 9.52%
9 2 9.52%
10 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Huh? THe song sounds like the ballads on Comatose. It didn't at all remind me of Nickelback.
I don't know why it doesn't remind you of Nickelback, but all I can hear in this song is a cheap remix of "If Today Was Your Last Day", "Gotta Be Somebody", and "I'd Come For You".

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
Deets Go Here

I wonder if part of the reason we're all displeased with this album is because of the hype build up. It hit me today at lunch, they debuted at #2 on the Billboard charts of all albums regardless of genre. Then, it sank. I bought the album the week it came out because I thought it was going to be great. They told me it was going to be great and I bit into it.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
Bring it, foo'

Quote:
The problem is that there are too many ballads, but at the same time, there aren't that many ballads?
It just seems like there are more ballads than there are. Most of the songs fall into the muddy water between Skillet's rock, such as Forsaken or Whispers In the Dark, which is most often superb, and their soft ballads, like Yours To Hold. It's like they couldn't decide whether to make this a ballad record or a rock record. And, as a big (read: HUGE) fan of Collide, I automatically hear them as being closer to the ballad side. It's most likely just my personal taste. Two slow songs or even three is okay, IMO, but if you're going to do a rock record, do a ROCK RECORD. Don't make me question which songs are which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
I wonder if part of the reason we're all displeased with this album is because of the hype build up. It hit me today at lunch, they debuted at #2 on the Billboard charts of all albums regardless of genre. Then, it sank. I bought the album the week it came out because I thought it was going to be great. They told me it was going to be great and I bit into it.
And it came right around to bite you (and me) in the hand that paid for it.
Unread 11-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
I don't know why it doesn't remind you of Nickelback, but all I can hear in this song is a cheap remix of "If Today Was Your Last Day", "Gotta Be Somebody", and "I'd Come For You".
The disconnect is probably that I gave up on Nickelback about 5 years ago, and you listed a bunch of songs from their last album which I try to ignore it's existence.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
Hype can over sell something new or different, but a 15 year old band disappoints when they release a weak album.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
leafy greens!

Quote:
The disconnect is probably that I gave up on Nickelback about 5 years ago, and you listed a bunch of songs from their last album which I try to ignore it's existence.
Fair enough. I worked in an office with the radio on all summer, so...

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #22
David P.

I haven't listened to this album enough to rate it... but honestly, I haven't heard a song that I liked. I've actually hated everything I've heard from this album.
relient nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #23
I need a bigger car!

Quote:
Hype can over sell something new or different, but a 15 year old band disappoints when they release a weak album.
I agree. You'd really think a band who's been around that long and have released a number of well-acclaimed albums would know better than to release a huge misstep like this.
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #24
True Defiance

Send a message via MSN to monkeysmile Send a message via Yahoo to monkeysmile
I think Atlantic Records may be playing a part in Skillet watering out to more radio friendly rock.
monkeysmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysmile View Post
I think Atlantic Records may be playing a part in Skillet watering out to more radio friendly rock.

I Can't agree more. It started with comatose and got worse.

I give this album a 4 or maybe a 5. "Hero" is the only song that reminds me of "good" skillet. it's kind of epic like Comatose. monster is just one of those songs. Like better than drugs. it's like Ben came up with some awesome riff and they had no lyrics for it so they just thought something up so they could use it. Awake and Alive is like a ramped up version of some of the ballady stuff on comatose. the rest is garbage imho.

hopefully they can fix this huge misstep with their next album.
LesPaulPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #26
certainly does throck

Send a message via MSN to Davomann
I'm hugely disappointed with this album. When John said on "Comatose Comes Alive" that he liked power ballads, he wasn't kidding. To me, almost every song sounds the same. They're heading in the Nickelback direction, but I kinda feared that they would do this after getting more than a bit sick of a couple of the songs from Comatose and knowing that they were signed to a major label now.

I like Awake and Alive and Hero, but I just can't bring myself to listen to the rest again. Lucy is ok too i guess, but I've heard much better attempts at tear-jerkers at the end of albums recently than that (Things Left Unsaid by Disciple from Scars Remain), so I guess it just doesn't seem as good to me.

John's voice this time round sounds grittier than usual, but not in a good way - it sounds like he's trying to make it extra-hoarse intentionally, because the producer told him to or something, and it makes it sound fake and manufactured, as well as (for me, being a singer) very painful. I just can't listen to his voice on this record. It really bugs me, maybe more than it should.

The chord progressions sound very generic and samey throughout the whole album, which I think is partly where the Nickelback thoughts are stemming from.

And, also the Lyrics are stupid too. I mean, we all write crap stuff sometimes, but not a whole album's-worth at once. Surely they must have had some better lyrics than that somewhere that they could have put on the album instead?

Overall, I just can't listen to this album, but I gave it a 5 because I think that the uber-panheads out there will like it, particularly if they liked the ballady stuff from Comatose
Purevolume: Me or Vex Reverend
Davomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #27
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davomann View Post
Lucy is ok too i guess, but I've heard much better attempts at tear-jerkers at the end of albums recently than that (Things Left Unsaid by Disciple from Scars Remain), so I guess it just doesn't seem as good to me.

Quote:
The chord progressions sound very generic and samey throughout the whole album, which I think is partly where the Nickelback thoughts are stemming from.

Quote:
And, also the Lyrics are stupid too. I mean, we all write crap stuff sometimes, but not a whole album's-worth at once. Surely they must have had some better lyrics than that somewhere that they could have put on the album instead?

Quote:
Overall, I just can't listen to this album, but I gave it a 5 because I think that the uber-panheads out there will like it, particularly if they liked the ballady stuff from Comatose

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I can still listen to it, because while I like it when they're original, I can appreciate the occasional four-chord song as well.

Unread 05-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Darkhyperchaos
4/10. Major disappointment, even the bonus songs on the deluxe edition don't save it. There's not a single song I really like, what happened to the intense nu metal of Collide? Or the epic sound featured to Comatose? Even the industrial sound of Alien Youth would have been way better than this watered down rock, it sounds way too much like Nickel Back too.

I'm shocked that John Cooper listened to his work this time around and though that this was worthy Skillet, because it's not even close.
Darkhyperchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #29

Awesome 10 out of 10 best album yet
christrocker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #30

Hero was a good song from this album
bbj40 is offline   Reply With Quote