Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #46
assistant regional mgr.

I think classifying any music or band or words as "Christian" is inherently doomed. only a person can be a Christian based on their beliefs. it's pure marketing and financials to do such a thing, I've seen it lead to classification of music based on externals rather than the much more important internals of a person's relationship to Christ. I believe that lessens Christianity as a whole.

when big music industry took an interest in the music made by Christians however many years ago (was it Amy Grant?), I think we all (as believers) lost. nowadays the Christian Music Industry seems to mean inferior music that is marketed to a closed audience who doesn't know any better. though I shudder to say so, South Park wasn't too far off in their stereotyping in the episode "Christian Rock Hard".

OiBoyz, I've been a member here a long time, and tend to see CGR as a giant in-crowd of cliques, of which I have very little in common. I've brought friends over to check this place out, and watched them get brutalized by self righteous and well meaning posters over the most ridiculous things before leaving. as a Christian and as an active Musician, that is a little sad - this should be my ideal site! but sites tend to develop into their own persona over time. perhaps that sums up the danger of labeling something inanimate as "Christian" better than anything else.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #47
Sojourner
Administrator

These threads rarely breed any good or positive conversations. If you want to continue, do it through PMs. I'm closing this thread.

If Bill or one of the higher ups want to reopen it, that's fine, but I don't see anything good coming from it right now.

Lee
Closed Thread