Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #76
Registered User
 
crazymoose's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 729
I don't really buy that. What about being able to play fast and still make every note crystal clear? Some people are able to play fast runs, but they run together and it just sounds like a blur. Others are able to play fast runs, and you can hear every single note crystal clear and individually. It's only when you go to play it that you realize just how fast it really is.

I think slow and fast both have their merits. Neither is superior to the other in my opinion. The problem is that very few fast players bother to be creative and actually good because just playing fast is enough to wow a ton of people. The potential is there though.

Maybe a better way to say it is a truly good guitarist will be creative, and know when to play super fast and when to play super slow. Because neither of those options proves skill more than the other.

__________________
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #77
Registered User
 
AudioAUnderdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
I don't really buy that. What about being able to play fast and still make every note crystal clear? Some people are able to play fast runs, but they run together and it just sounds like a blur. Others are able to play fast runs, and you can hear every single note crystal clear and individually. It's only when you go to play it that you realize just how fast it really is.

I think slow and fast both have their merits. Neither is superior to the other in my opinion. The problem is that very few fast players bother to be creative and actually good because just playing fast is enough to wow a ton of people. The potential is there though.

Maybe a better way to say it is a truly good guitarist will be creative, and know when to play super fast and when to play super slow. Because neither of those options proves skill more than the other.
I think you're absolutely right.
__________________
Main Rig>>

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #78
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
Playing slower is actually harder than playing faster, as you have to pay careful attention to the specific timbre, placement, and quality of each note. The slightest mistake is more significant when you're playing less notes.
This sounds like sour grapes aside from being completely false. I can play fantastically slow. Fast, not so much. It is much easier to play slow well.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #79
not so bright
 
tenwatt's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Ekron, KY
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
This sounds like sour grapes aside from being completely false. I can play fantastically slow. Fast, not so much. It is much easier to play slow well.
Amen, brother. I'm no speed demon. I've played for close to 15 years now and have never really desired to play fast though. It's not really required for what I do.
__________________
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #80
Registered User
 
pooleman0's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lisbon CT
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkStrat_97 View Post
But one guy that I would say is overrated (not that he wasn't good) is Stevie Ray Vaughan. Also Santana is way overated IMO.
I can't believe I just read this. I don't think I can even come to this site again after reading this. SRV in my opinion is the greatest of all time. He got more soul and emotion out of his instrument than any other modern musician I can recall. His music absolutely changed my life.
pooleman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #81
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
hey guys I think a bunch of guitarist cant judge other guitarist
really think about it some cant stand guys you would call great dose that make them overrated.


this thread is just messed up how can we hope to say they are overrated?

sure dragon force cant play live good at all
But still they can play fast but that dose not make them good


sure caption can play slow and make it not boring but still that dose not make him good



sure edge has a cool sound but that dose not make him good



the question we should ask is what makes good

creativity? not always just because you can do it dose not mean you can
there is such a thing as to much spice

music is like food add a spice here and there but to many and it is bad
just because you can tap and then slide a whole song dose not mean you should

we are judging guys who we say we are better then


well I will say every guitarist has something no one else has even a guy like me



what makes guitar good? some times it is speed play some songs that are fast slow

and you realize they aren’t that good but play some slow song fast and dose nto sound good



then agin add a effect to this part wont make it sound good

but yet when I posted all my songs
some guys said my songs weren’t good and I told them I cant add effects

they said effects don’t make them good yet the exact same song is the song I put effects to and then they where saying it is way better lol


and in the end what you find bad others find good maybe someone dose not care for a song that shreds or maybe they love it

so it is all in your taste
just because you think they aren’t that good well it is millions agents only five (on this website)
I know there are more but there are a lot more that think they are good and it is about the fans not other guitarist right?
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #82
Registered User
 
AudioAUnderdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman0 View Post
I can't believe I just read this. I don't think I can even come to this site again after reading this. SRV in my opinion is the greatest of all time. He got more soul and emotion out of his instrument than any other modern musician I can recall. His music absolutely changed my life.
Oh man, I didn't see that post. I can't believe I'm reading it either.

When I first heard Stevie I hated blues (really hated it). All I heard was Pride and Joy and Texas Flood, and I decided I still didn't like it...
But a few years past and then I saw Stevie playing on TV. I didn't know who it was, so I didn't judge it like I had before. He completely floored me, humbled me and I'm still amazed even after watching those same videos a hundred times. He made me want to play guitar the best I possibly can, he totally changed everything for me. His music has touched so many people so deeply, that to call him overrated actually hurts those people on a personal level. Myself and the poster above included.

To pooleman: Hey man, don't let one single post run you out of here. I've been coming to this site since I started playing guitar and it's been a tremendous help to me. It's not worth leaving over a few ruffled feathers.
__________________
Main Rig>>

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #83
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Shawn,

The point isn't whether or not anyone here is a better guitarist than anyone else. The thread is more about people that get a lot of credit for being amazing guitarists when what they're doing just doesn't seem that amazing. I don't think anyone here is judging these guys in a personal way. So far, the discussion here has actually be very civil
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #84
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Shawn,

The point isn't whether or not anyone here is a better guitarist than anyone else. The thread is more about people that get a lot of credit for being amazing guitarists when what they're doing just doesn't seem that amazing. I don't think anyone here is judging these guys in a personal way. So far, the discussion here has actually be very civil
if you say they donít deserve it but each and every one of them took the time to learn guitar be good at it and work at it
and you say they are overrated that just seems wrong to me

I donít think we should say they are overrated when they all worked hard like it or not
and i did not mean to say better to all of you only one that i know said he was better then edge which got me


i donít think it has been civil you are saying these guys donít deserve this fame and all the hard work they did that may be civil to the ones on the borde but those guys you are saying are overated is that civil?
and the simple fact is you may not think ti is amazing but others do
I may be overreacting but I cant stand it when someone says that a big deal person is overrated or a sell out (not in thread just saying)
just because one person thinks they are not that good it makes it true

millions of screaming fans beg to differ
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #85
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I sometimes play to screaming fans, but I definitely don't think I'm that good. Well, I'm good, just not that good.
__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #86
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
I donít think we should say they are overrated when they all worked hard like it or not
and i did not mean to say better to all of you only one that i know said he was better then edge which got me
No one's saying these guys haven't worked hard to get where they are. All they're saying is that these guys aren't the greatest guitarists of all time even though they get lots of accolades for their guitar playing.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #87
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
No one's saying these guys haven't worked hard to get where they are. All they're saying is that these guys aren't the greatest guitarists of all time even though they get lots of accolades for their guitar playing.
what do you consider good?
I consider making music that the fans like good
what amkes you gutair playing good do you need to know how to play fast?
slow?
i dont get it how are those guys overrated?
they are good fans love there playin and for themost part they play hard stuff (most of them)
so if it is not kill leavel what makes them good
im asking because I don’t know how to decide there skill level
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #88
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
what do you consider good?
I consider making music that the fans like good
what amkes you gutair playing good do you need to know how to play fast?
slow?
i dont get it how are those guys overrated?
they are good fans love there playin and for themost part they play hard stuff (most of them)
so if it is not kill leavel what makes them good
im asking because I donít know how to decide there skill level
That's what makes this an interesting discussion. We all bring different ideas of what "good" is to the table. For example, one person said that the Edge wasn't that good because he doesn't play a lot of notes and the effect that most people credit him with pioneering was actually an adaptation of an effect that was used by David Gilmour a few years before him. For me this was interesting because I never really thought about the connection between Gilmour and the Edge.

For what it's worth, if you don't like this thread and don't think it should be here, then don't participate in it. By participating, all you do is add to the number of people who will read this thread as it stays on the front page of the forum.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #89
Registered User
 
AudioAUnderdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,005
I just wanted to add that in my previous post I wasn't angry, and I fully intend to keep it civil. You can disagree with something without being disagreeable.
__________________
Main Rig>>

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #90
Pearl plays her guitar
 
Hopeful's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2004
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioAUnderdog View Post
Oh man, I didn't see that post. I can't believe I'm reading it either.

When I first heard Stevie I hated blues (really hated it). All I heard was Pride and Joy and Texas Flood, and I decided I still didn't like it...
But a few years past and then I saw Stevie playing on TV. I didn't know who it was, so I didn't judge it like I had before. He completely floored me, humbled me and I'm still amazed even after watching those same videos a hundred times. He made me want to play guitar the best I possibly can, he totally changed everything for me. His music has touched so many people so deeply, that to call him overrated actually hurts those people on a personal level. Myself and the poster above included.

To pooleman: Hey man, don't let one single post run you out of here. I've been coming to this site since I started playing guitar and it's been a tremendous help to me. It's not worth leaving over a few ruffled feathers.
FYI, the highest selling DVD program for PBS is a SRV concert.
__________________
I've been humbled many times, but always for my own good!

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2