Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #151
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap_j View Post
Art is an intentional act. We cannot judge this behavior as such.
I think we could. Intent, to attract a mate. Thus we have an intentional act of creating a pleasing aesthetic to attract a mate. Which seems pretty analogous to why some guys learn guitar...

Quote:
My point was that there are no sound waves during those silent intervals which are still very much music.
But yet it is in timed intervals, which require techniques, timing, ordering, etc.

Quote:

Certainly one must be able to create sound to perform a written work.
I agree.

Quote:
When I first said what I said my mind was on the words on Jacques Ellul who once said, "In the end, technique has only one principle, efficient ordering." I was trying to buttress metropolis' insight about how musicians who aren't great players being able to inspire so many. The efficiency of pure technique is not what touches people because people are broken, sinful, paradoxical, etc.

I, as a musician, am a bad musician. My techniques and skills are underdeveloped to play what I would like to express. I routinely hear people bag on technique, speed, etc. However, I feel as if I would be infinitely a better musician if I had better technique, because I would not be as limited as I am. Essentially, I think a better guitarist will have more and better techniques in their arsenal to express a full range of human emotion.

Techniques are like words in speech. The more adept one is at them, the more eloquent one can be in their music. Some folks think 3 chords are enough.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #152
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap_j View Post
Art is an intentional act. We cannot judge this behavior as such.

Not to detract from the... pretentiousness of the thread thusfar, but I thought this was ammusing.

When I first read that I misread it as "Art is an international act. We cannot judge his behavior as such."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #153
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I think we could. Intent, to attract a mate. Thus we have an intentional act of creating a pleasing aesthetic to attract a mate.
I meant an intent to create art. I don't know enough about peafowl to comment on your remark about them having an aesthetic sense.

Quote:
But yet it is in timed intervals, which require techniques, timing, ordering, etc.
I was merely pointing out the incompleteness of your definition: "music isn't music till it is sound waves."

Quote:
However, I feel as if I would be infinitely a better musician if I had better technique, because I would not be as limited as I am.
Yes. And that is exactly why. I didn't mean to give the impression that I am opposed to honing technique, if that's what I've done. If anything I am saying that a transparent technique is the best. The music that merely showcases technique can be grotesque. But don't accuse me of generalizing because there are some beautiful études.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Not to detract from the... pretentiousness of the thread thusfar, but I thought this was ammusing.

When I first read that I misread it as "Art is an international act. We cannot judge his behavior as such."
I owe you some rep when you're unbanned.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #154
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
As varied as our opinions are regarding what music is and is not. just as varied are our opinions on who is overrated and who is not.
The common denominator: opinions

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #155
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
As varied as our opinions are regarding what music is and is not. just as varied are our opinions on who is overrated and who is not.
Heh, seriously: Definition of music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FTA: How to define music has long been the subject of debate

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #156
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
The best definition of music is 'music is'.

Of course, that's my opinion, so...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman View Post
Which rating are we talking about? And who’s doing the rating?

What criteria are we using? Technical proficiency? Innovation? Popularity? Influence?

Every single guitarist mentioned in this thread has contributed music of value. Santana, Van Halen, Billie Joe Armstrong, John Petrucci, John Scofield – they all deserve our appreciation.

By the way, even disco guitarists have contributed music of worth. Ever tried to play the “Brick House” riff? It ain't that easy.
In most cases, many of these overated guitar players probably really are but because of the musical contexts in which they play (along with some luck), they have made musical contributions which go beyond the limited scope of the guitar community. We tend to look for things such as "proficiency", "soulfulness", "great tone", but the non-musician public just wants something to make them feel good or that essentially ministers to their souls. They don't care abut guitars, synths, samples, and all of the trappings that musicians tend to be into. Sure, The Edge may be a mediocre guitarist at best, but to many people U2 as a group is awsome. As a result, The Edge benefits from being a member of U2.

Un-definitive List of Electric Guitar Innovators
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote