Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > CGR Members' Art, Music & Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
The Morning Glass

So I suppose it's time to let my Your Favorite Band thread rest and start a thread about my new band, The Morning Glass. We don't have any recordings yet, but you can follow us on Facebook and Myspace.

So here's a few answers to questions not yet asked, the morning glass is a term used to describe how calm and serene the ocean looks in the morning before the wind starts to pick up. I've heard that it is a condition only really common to Southern California, but I don't really know if there's any truth to that.

Musically we're a fairly big departure from Your Favorite Band. Ryan (guitar/vox) from YFB is still doing guitar/vox, but I've jumped from bass to electric guitar which brings an entirely different dimension to the sound. We've all been pushing to establish a sound separate from YFB as well. We definitely have a couple songs in the same vein as YFB, but there is definitely a lot more diversity in the songwriting this time around.

We don't have any recordings yet, but we're hoping to make some basic recordings of our practice time in the near future that we can upload to the internet.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Administrator

So we just started talking this week about recording in the near future. I'm not sure how many songs we'd want to record. We have something like 8 songs right now, but might only record 3 or 4 of those just to get them up on the web. All I know is that I'm excited to hear what my band sounds like from a vantage point not on the stage.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Taster of Pork!

What's your band gonna sound like? In terms of being compared to other bands...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
What's your band gonna sound like? In terms of being compared to other bands...?
I've never been great at describing what my bands sound like. Personally I feel like we evoke a bit of early 00s indie rock (Jimmy Eat World, Copeland, Denison Marrs, Sense Field, Brandtson) at least I know those are the sort of artists that I feel influence my guitar parts. That being said, I only write my guitar parts, so that's not where all the influence is coming from. I do feel confident in saying that this band is a lot more accessible than Your Favorite Band was. We're definitely a lot more melodic and pop-oriented than that project.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Administrator

We're playing our second show tomorrow. The first show felt a little odd for me. I definitely felt a little nervous, which I hadn't felt for a few years. It probably had something to do with playing guitar instead of bass. I'm hoping that this show feels more natural for me as compared to our first show.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Not of this world

Goodluck Steve!

Let us know how it goes, also post the music up on the web when you get a chance!
MyChainsAreGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyChainsAreGone View Post
Goodluck Steve!

Let us know how it goes, also post the music up on the web when you get a chance!
Our second and third shows went very well. We recorded last week and the rough mixes sound very promising. Once the mastered versions are done they'll be uploaded and shared.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Administrator

Recordings are finally post at The Morning Glass on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
I'm forgiven.

Send a message via Yahoo to Guitarman121319
Y'all are good. Not exactly my style, but I enjoy listening to your band.

I so would enjoy to come to one of your shows. About where do you live?
Guitarman121319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Administrator

We play shows around San Diego County.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
I'm forgiven.

Send a message via Yahoo to Guitarman121319
I live in Georgia.

It might be a while till I come to one of your shows.
Guitarman121319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Band member recruiter

I like the sound of your band
I'm starting with the man in the mirror... I'm asking him to change his ways... no message could have been any clearer: If YOU want to make the world a Better place, Take a look at YOURSELF and make that Change.- )Michael Jackson(
FlamingFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Administrator

An update:

Major slow-down for the summer and I started a new job today that takes up my evenings four days a week. Not really sure what this means for The Morning Glass except that we're only going to be able to practice on Fridays or Saturdays, and I would be surprised if anyone wanted to do that.

Officially we are still a band, but we've only practiced sparingly since our last show, which was June 4th.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #14

Well, at least you got the songs recorded. I hope for your sake it's not done if you enjoy it.

You guys were tight. It wasn't completely my style, but I used to play music somewhat similar to your when I was younger. I liked the rhythm guitars sound. And that one song where it sounded like the rhythm did a solo, that was really good. I prefer the cleaner sound over all the reverb the other guitar had. In my opinion, it was too much reverb. There are times the notes just get kind of lost and all you hear is boing boing boing. But I'm being kind of critical and I don't really want to do that. Your drummer is good. I couldn't hear the bass very much. Had a very subdued sound. Almost like it wasn't there.

And I have to take issue on the lyrics of one of your songs. I was born without a left major pectoral muscle. So I am very assymetrical. Not by choice. Hehehhehe I'm not trying to be hip.
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Administrator

Haha...glad you liked it. I tend to use a lot of delay and reverb on my guitars to create more ambient space. Probably what you didn't like about it was exactly what I was trying to achieve. Haha. It's a technique that I think works well live, but might not crossover to record as well.

We're going to be practicing tomorrow for a show on December 4th. It'll be our first show in 6 months.

I'm a podcaster