Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Not of this world

Pardon my lack of Piano information

I have really been interested in learning to play piano. I only know how to play guitar and most artists know how to play multiple instruments, as well as it gives you a broader range of what you can do and information you have. Basically on Craigs list you can find pianos, keyboards and anything super cheap or even free.

I taught myself guitar though ( should I say teaching? ) and was wondering if piano would be too difficult to find something on google and learn, or is there a book that's really good? Another question I have is, is it similar to guitar at all? I know your standard 12 note chromatic scale but is it almost the same? I just think it would be very weird to grasp rhythm on a piano at all when learning guitar first and its all about strumming and finger picking.

Also if anyone has any advice or help that would be cool, I'm very interested. But who knows maybe I'll just stick to guitar.

MyChainsAreGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Piano is like a big theory machine. You know all that stuff you've been learning about key signatures and chord structure? It'll actually make a ton more sense when you play chords and scales on piano.

But like anything else, skill will come with practice. I think that guitar is a very physically and expressively rewarding instrument to play, but pianos are a very aurally rewarding instrument to play. The sound of playing a good grand piano in a large empty hall is very exciting.

Music is music, though, and pianos definitely make music.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Not of this world

Thanks Jon, I definitely love music, more than just guitar. I'll have to ask you some questions on IRC after I get a home.

Edit: So what would be the best way to start? Google? I really know nothing about Piano, I know some theory thankfully which you taught me, which has helped tremendously with guitar.

Last edited by MyChainsAreGone; 07-25-2009 at 06:38 PM.
MyChainsAreGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

I have a good website that would help you learn to play chords on a piano. if you are looking to play classical you would need a piano teacher.
albesureful is offline   Reply With Quote