Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this album, with 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 1 14.29%
8 1 14.29%
9 3 42.86%
10 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #1

paid
August Burns Red - Constellations

01. Thirty And Seven
02. Existence
03. Ocean Of Apathy
04. White Washed
05. Marianas Trench
06. The Escape Artist
07. Indonesia
08. Paradox
09. Meridian
10. Rationalist
11. Meddler
12. Crusades
Attached Thumbnails
august-burns-red-1.jpg  

Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #2

paid
Suggested guide for voting
10 - Amazing CD. Everyone should own it.
9 - Among the best of the year.
8 - One of the top CDs around, but could have been improved in a few places.
7 - Not a bad CD, but could have been better in a number of places.
6 - Pretty good for it's genre, but overall it's only acceptable.
5 - Decent CD, but only if you're a big fan of this genre.
4 - If you love this band, you'll like this CD. Otherwise, probably not.
3 - If you're a fan of this genre, the CD is barely acceptable.
2 - If you're a big fan of this band, this CD is tolerable.
1 - Even if you like this band, you won't like this CD.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Firefox enlightened

Leaning towards a nine or ten.

I don't really mind if you don't listen to this or don't like ABR. But know this: this cd could have just been Messengers all over again, and it's so much more than that. It's still brutal and satisfying but at the same time much more diverse, especially in the breakdown category. I will say that this may have been over hyped, but lay that aside and just listen. Really solid cd.
Mr. claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #4

I put 9, but I meant to put 8. It's definitely better than Messengers. Not 50 stereotypical C-power chord chugging breakdowns every freaking song. The only thing that keeps me from rating it 10 is I'd love to see some cleaner stuff mixed in. I love brutal stuff but having a break of clean stuff every once in a while just makes it even better.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Firefox enlightened

And I could not disagree more.

If you want a break, well, there's other bands for that.
Unread 07-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #6

^I guess... For me it's just I listen to the cd and I'm so overloaded that after a while I can't quite appreciate it as much cause it just all blurs together.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. claw View Post
I don't really mind if you don't listen to this or don't like ABR. But know this: this cd could have just been Messengers all over again, and it's so much more than that. It's still brutal and satisfying but at the same time much more diverse, especially in the breakdown category. I will say that this may have been over hyped, but lay that aside and just listen. Really solid cd.
Exactly what I would say, except stated better. I gave this an 8 since 8/10 = 4/5
Most metalcore bands don't make this much progression between records, and some don't make any at all. This is better than Messengers in every way.
This better make it on our top 20 secular records of '09, cause Messengers made it on the best of year list, and this is just....so much better!

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Firefox enlightened

And I will say that I generally hate it when bands fade out songs instead of actually doing an outro, but the three or so times they do it on this cd didn't really bother me at all. It does seem lazy more than fitting to me though.

Also, Rationalist is such an amazing song in 2 and half minutes. Gah. A real kick in the face.

And the solos present here each fit their respective songs so well I really didn't notice them the first time. They're not technically amazing, they just sound like they belong. With the possible exception of the one in Existence. That's the only one that's sounds very solo....ish. And may not have been necessary.
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Darkhyperchaos
9/10. I'll be honest here, I thought most of their older material kind of sucked. Constellations on the other hand is a superb album. The difference and maturity from Messengers is extremely apparent, I feel like I'm listening to a whole new band. Amazing album!
Darkhyperchaos is offline   Reply With Quote