Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #1

Electric Drum

My school's worship team is going to be in a serious drum deficit next year due to an amazing drummer who everyone relied on graduating this year, so I'm thinking since we have enough guitar players, I may as well try and learn drums (I've kind of wanted to for a while anyway). So anyway I asked my parents, with the plan to spend a couple hundred on a cheap acoustic set, but my mom doesn't want the loudness, and my dad won't let me play in the garage (lack of space, and not very nice weather for outdoor instruments where I live). Basically they've told me I have to get an electric set.

Now I'd love to spend $1000+ on a good electric drum set, but I'm not planning on this being my main instrument (I'd much rather put my money towards guitar stuff) and I only have a part time job, so I don't exactly have unlimited funds. What could work for me in the couple hundred dollar range? I know electric drums isn't a good way to go with low budget, and I'd much rather get acoustic but my parents are pretty determined.

EDIT: Another question I have is, is it even possible to learn how to play acoustic drums properly on a cheap electric set? Cause I'd be playing on an acoustic set in chapel.

EDIT 2: Are there silencer pads that I could get that would make an acoustic set still audible but not quite so loud? And would it just end up feeling like an electric set anyway? If I could quiet it down I might be able to convince my parents.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking

Last edited by crazymoose; 07-07-2009 at 01:10 AM.
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Noterator

The Pearl Rhythm Traveler comes with a full set of mute and a full set of regular heads. It isn't a bad set by any means considering the price range. It also is a very very compact drum set. It also comes with regular and plastic symbols (both are crap but the plastics are good for quiet stuff).

Here are a few places you can buy it new:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...sku=490905#new
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-RT705HBC-LIST
Unread 07-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #3

Ok, you can ignore me now. I looked around and realised that for how much I'd be using it, drums are just too expensive for me, so I'm just going to stick with guitar and spend my money on a nice telecaster
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

There are some pretty nice Alesis Sets that are much like playing an acoustic because they use regular dampened drum heads and even have metal dampened cymbals that are in the $400-600 range

"Electronic Drum Set Players Are Shocking..."
Tomcat99 is offline   Reply With Quote